Sorry to provide a personal answer but in 36 years of measuring CO battery I
have never seen it fall below 46 volts and never more than 52 volts.   This
is regular plant voltage.  Some special service equipment bays provide as
much as -72 volts and -130 volts for special circuits.

A typical plant of many LARGE 48 volt batteries receives a float charge of
-51 to -53 volts from the commerical power supplied through large power
rectifiers.  If commercial power is lost and the standby generator fails,
the battery plant will provide -48 volts for quite some time before it
starts to drop to -46 volts.  During a disaster it might be possible to drop
below that but even during the long dropouts in Chicago I never saw plants
to drop below -46 volts.  This of course depends on the plant design and the
reliability of the standby power system.

My hat is off to Dave Spencer for looking up all of those requirements.  If
I measured -57 volts I would think something is very wrong.  Same with -40
volts.

Old Don

Nice work!!!
      -40.5 to -57.0 VDC                ETS 300 132-2:1996
{}  -42.75 to -56.7 VDC         ANSI T1.315:1994
{}  -40.0 to -57.5 VDC          AT&T NEDS 9069:1999
{}  -42.5 to -56.5 VDC          GR-499:1995 (-40.0 to -57.7 objective)