From: JIM WIESE [mailto:jim.wi...@adtran.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 7:48 PM
To: nebs@world.std.com; 'jmur...@quantumbridge.com'
Subject: RE: NID

Hey Dave and Jack,

You may also be interested in GR-418-CORE since it covers fiber enclosures,
electronics, and NID's.  GR-49-CORE really leans very heavily on analog POTS
NID's (for instance ISDN NIDS are excluded from the scope and Telcordia
environmental people consider ISDN to mean all DSL, see section 5 of
GR-1089-CORE) but some criteria may be useful, GR-1089-CORE and GR-63-CORE
will be necessary, TR-NWT-000057 may be of use for environmental
considerations as discussed in section 2.9 of GR-63-CORE.  GR-487-CORE is
necessary for the enclosure.

In addition, Telcordia has a project open to create a new GR for OSP
electronics, which I suspect will end up encompassing many of the items in
one document.

Also I think that Subject 1697 was not finalized and 1459 is what was/is
used for DUZO.  It is not used much based on UL web page.  The category is
called "Communications Service Equipment"  Most RFP's call out Listings to
UL 1950 or UL 60950 and DUZO is not either, so that may be the reason for
little usage.  Also with the rejection of high powered broadband coax in
article 830 of the NEC, it seems the cable companies are less interested in
pursuing Subject 1697.  I would be interested in any new news on subject
1697 if anybody has any. The last that I heard, Randy Ivans had it on hold.

Jim

Jim Wiese
NEBS Project Manager/Compliance Engineer
ADTRAN, INC.
901 Explorer Blvd.
P.O. Box 140000
Huntsville, AL 35814-4000