http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1513191&group_id=12694&atid=312694

TA> However, I agree it should rather be a config option instead.

Actually, I kinda like this patch. Note that it does the opposite of what I
was talking about above: it removes the old entry, and adds the new one with a
*different* ifIndex. I don't think this will make the MRTG-like folks happy,
and they usually have a fixed ifIndex configured.

I would have no problem with this patch being applied, as the default even. It
represents what the kernel is actually reporting to us.

TA> Are there any runtime Linux kernel tunables that affect how [transient]
TA> interfaces are reported?

Not that I know of, but I've never investigated it.