I have many scalar variables that are managed by an external (from SNMP
agent point of view) device. If this external device doesn't communicate
with the agent (it is connected through a RS232 port), this group of
scalar variables can't be accessed, so I decided to return a
noSuchInstance error to GET requests (I tried with a genErr, but in this
case a walk will block on this variable).

Now I'm deciding which error codes to return if the user send a SET
request for this kind of variable.  I'm in doubt among notWritable,
noCreation and genErr.

What is the best method to return this error in the handler?  I think I
have to call netsnmp_set_request_error() in the MODE_SET_COMMIT phase:

   netsnmp_set_request_error(reqinfo, requests, SNMP_ERR_NOCREATION);
   return SNMP_ERR_NOERROR;

Is it correct to return SNMP_ERR_NOERROR in this case?

Actually I ignore the other MODE_SET_ steps (return SNMP_ERR_NOERROR for
them).  Should I manage also these steps and in which way?