I have five web servers, centos7 and  net-snmp, 1:5.7.2-43.el7.  I'm also
running fail2ban.   On the first four web servers, fail2ban is
at 0.10.4-1.el7, but on more recently built web5, fail2ban is at
0.10.5-2.el7.

This morning, nagios reported that it couldn't find the fail2ban process on
web5, though not on any of the others.  The check is
against HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrSWRunName.  Investigation with snmpwalk shows
that web5 does not have an entry for fail2ban-server in the hrSWRunName
table. Webs 1-4 do.

'ps ax' looks identical, as does the contents of /proc/PID/cmdline.  Note
that the command line is "/usr/bin/python -s /usr/bin/fail2ban-server -xf
start"

On webs 1-4,    HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrSWRunName contains
"fail2ban-server".  On Web5, the variable contains "/usr/bin/python".

Since all of my servers will soon upgrade to the newer fail2ban version, I
expect to lose my nagios test for this process, unless I can figure out
what is going on.

Can somebody tell me where does net-snmp get it's process names?  Why would
they be different? Same version of net-snmp. Different versions of fail2ban
as indicated above.

Perhaps I can find an SNMP test for HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrSWRunParameters.

Thanks,
Ed Greenberg