Hello,

We have integrated net-snmp into our application that runs on an embedded
system and
uses net-snmp to send traps to user configured trap receivers.

It works fine with the configured IP address as trap receivers.
Now, we have enhanced our system so that users can configure FQDN as well
for trap receivers.

We would like to feed users configured FQDN into net-snmp so that net-snmp
can resolve the FQDN into an IP and determine the transport domain (UDP or
UDP6) before sending the traps.

   1. Is this possible in any of the net-snmp release versions?
   2. If not, what workaround do you recommend?

[ We currently resolve FQDN into IP addresses and create trap sessions for
each such resolved address. This works alright but has its own limitations.
For example, DNS Server should be reachable when trap sessions are being
created. Also if user decides to host trap receiver on a different server
(same FQDN but different IP), then he will have to reconfigure the trap
receiver on our device ]

We use the following APIs to setup net-snmp for SNMP v1/v2c/v3 traps:

   1. create_trap_session
   2. snmpTargetAddrTable_create, snmpTargetAddrTable_add,
   snmpNotifyTable_create, snmpNotifyTable_add, snmpTargetParamTable_create,
   snmpTargetParamTable_add
   3. Using net-snmp 5.8.x version

As per the MIBs, it shows that it supports tdomain as transportAddressDns.
But actually in the transports that comes with the net-snmp doesn't have
any implementation for it.

Please let us know if the fqdn/dns transport is supported in net-snmp.
Regards,
Prasad