Hi Max,

*The Divine Comedy* was originally simply titled *Comedìa* and the first
printed edition was published in 1472. The word *Comedìa* was later
adjusted to the modern Italian *Commedia*. The adjective *Divina* was added
by Giovanni Boccaccio, an Italian writer and poet (1313-1375), due to its
subject matter and lofty style, and the first edition to name the poem *Divina
Comedìa* in the title was that of the Venetian humanist Lodovico Dolce
(1508/10-1568), a man of letters and theorist of painting, published in
1555 by Gabriele Gioliti de’ Ferrari (1508-1578), a 16th-century Italian
printer active in Venice.

Dante was born in Florence most probably around May-June 1265, although his
date of birth is not exactly known. Dante was exiled in 1293 because he
sided with the *White Guelphs* who were trying to defend the independence
of the city of Florence by opposing the hegemonic tendencies of Pope
Bonifacio VIII. He died in Ravenna, the night between 13th and 14th
September 1321, where he had been invited to stay in that city in 1318 by
its prince, Guido II da Polenta.

He began writing *The Divine Comedy (Inferno, Purgatorio, Paradiso)*, a
long Italian narrative poem, in 1304 and completed it in 1320, a year
before his death. The amazing artistic mosaics in the historic Ravenna’s
churches inspired his writing of the Paradiso:
https://www.ravennamosaici.it/en/

Dante Alighieri is the father of the Italian language. Because of that, in
Italy, children start reading and studying *The Divine Comedy *at their
primary schools. At the age of 9 I did that and I was really impressed by
the artistic mosaics, drawings, paintings and print artworks linked to it.

*The Divine Comedy* has been a source of inspiration for countless artists
for almost seven centuries. There are many references to Dante's work in
literature. In music, Franz Liszt was one of many composers to write work
based on the Divine Comedy. In sculpture, the work of Auguste Rodin
includes themes from Dante, and many visual artists (Gustave Dore’, Philipp
Veit, Sandro Botticelli, Antonio Manetti, Federico Zuccari, etc…)
illustrated Dante's work.

Rarely seen drawings, paintings and sculptures of *Dante’s The Divine
Comedy* have been recently put on virtual display at the Uffizi Gallery in
Florence as Italy has begun a year-long calendar of events to mark the
700th anniversary of the poet’s death:
https://www.uffizi.it/en/online-exhibitions-series/to-rebehold-the-stars

All the best,
Graziano