If a film with Hollywood producers has trouble using
media clips, what hope does an average citizen have of using something
without worrying about huge legal expenses that could result?

The average citizen probably has much less of a chance getting sued for using
copyrighted material. It's probably precisely because it is a Hollywood that
the lawsuit was filed. Of course the film's idiotic content most likely
offended Ono as well. I did a networked audio project this year that was
composed of nothing but Ono material. I even sent her a link to the thing.
Never heard a word.

http://www.flawedart.net/audio/Witch/index.htm
http://www.flawedart.net/audio/Witch/index.htm