In support of Ada Lovelace Day we invited all women who work in media
arts and net art, who were not already subscribed, to join the
NetBehaviour email list for a week between 23rd and 30th March.

We asked all of them to contribute by listing some of the women that
had inspired them. We promised to collate all the posts and so we did.
Here is the result. Thanks to all of those - women and men - who have
contributed to this tribute!

MY NAME: Ruth Catlow

INSPIRED BY

Ele Carpenter
For tech inspired and facilitated participation with Open Source
Embroidery, her curatorial project exploring artists practice that
explores the relationship between programming for embroidery and
computing.
http://www.elecarpenter.org.uk/

Auriea Harvey
For her part with Entropy8Zuper in early intimate networked
performances http://entropy8zuper.org/wirefire and for Endless Forest,
Tale of Tales's bucolic social screensaver.
http://tale-of-tales.com/TheEndlessForest

Mary Flanagan
For her energetic explorations as academic, educator, artist and
programmer at the intersection of games, art and feminism and
exploring collaborative approaches to thinking about values in.
http://www.valuesatplay.org/

MY NAME:
netwurker_mez/][mez][[oz.org]/gossama[WoW-Bloodscalp]/bowwtoxx[WoW-Demon
Soul]/netwurker_twin[Second Life]/mez breeze [geolocative]

INSPIRED BY

Linda Dement
4 her incredible early visual x-periments with trauma + lust + and the
visc[f]eral.
http://www.lindadement.com/

Virginia Barratt
4 her early-90's inspiration/queer theory + pioneering cyberfeminist
work[s] + now 4 her ongoing commitment 2 micro-ecodevelopment.
http://mybigbackyard.blogsome.com

Kathy Acker
4 her pre-emptive writerly mashup-tech[niques] + taking head-on the
copyright industry.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathy_Acker

MY NAME: Karen Blissett

INSPIRED BY

Sadie Plant
I love her work, especially 'Zeros + Ones, Digital Women + The New
Technoculture'. "Sadie Plant introduces Ada Lovelace as a woman whose
awareness of peripheries, of indices, headings, prefaces, etc. gave
her a new way of perceiving reality. In her footnoted, non-fictional
texts, these peripheral details were crucial in contextualizing the
texts in historical and social reality." Laura Lee. Laura's review on
the book.
http://www.cyberartsweb.org/cpace/body/lgl1.html

Francesca da Rimini
I have always enjoyed Francesca's net art work as well as her other
works/collaborations to do with networked culture. Francesca da
Rimini, aka GashGirl, (Adelaide/Rome) has been working in the field of
new media since 1984 as an arts manager, curator, corporate geisha
girl, cyberfeminist, puppet mistress and ghost. One of the original
members of VNS Matrix, the Australian cyberfeminism group formed in
1991. Worked in New York on a project in collaboration with Michael
Grimm, snafu and Ricardo Dominguez, los dias y las noches del muertos,
and with Ricardo Dominguez on hauntings. Squandered hours
investigating the artistic and erotic potential of negotiated email
relationships, online virtual communities and web-based narrative
architectures that have been reverse engineered into multiple
immaterialities.
http://subsol.c3.hu/subsol_2/contributors/dariminibio.html

Ruth Catlow
I know, but she's cool. And has been incredible in supporting other
emerging artists as well as maintaining in still making interesting
and challenging artwork with technology. One project springs to mind -
'Rethinking Wargames', a participative net art project instigated by
Ruth Catlow of  which calls for 'pawns to join forces to defend world
peace'. It
uses the game of chess to find strategies that challenge existing
power structures and their concomitant war machineries.
http://www.low-fi.org.uk/rethinkingwargames/

Hope Kurtz (1959-2004)
Such a talent. I remember seeing Hope perform in Amsterdam in 95 or
96, at the Next Five Minutes Conference - I was mesmerized by her
articulation and excellent performance presence, and imaginitive
intelligence. Hope "worked behind the scenes of the CAE collective by
contributing to the conceptual basis for their work. It is through her
brilliant editing that their work articulates challenging concepts to
a multifarious audience many of whom might not otherwise come into
contact with such radical thought. The Ensemble collectively authored
several books including Electronic Civil Disobedience and other
unpopular Ideas..."
http://www.thebrooklynrail.org/arts/july04/hopekurtz.html
The Critical Art Ensemble site - http://www.critical-art.net/

MY NAME: Tatiana Wells
Free software/media artist and activist from brazil.

URLs: http://midiatatica.info + http://contratv.net

INSPIRED BY

The collective body of g2g (BR)
http://interfaceg2g.org

Cindy Flores (MX)
http://ciberfeminista.org

The collective body of retome a tecnologia (BR)
http://retomeatecnologia.info brazilian campaign about
violence against women

The collective body of genderchangers (NL)
http://www.genderchangers.org inspiring women all over the world to
use free technologies

MY NAME: Pall Thayer, artist

INSPIRED BY

I second the mention of N. Katherine Hayles and add Christiane Paul.

MY NAME: Simon Biggs
Research Professor edinburgh college of art

INSPIRED BY

N Katherine Hayles and Margaret Morse
For their ground breaking work on digital literatures and interactive media.

Vera Molnar
For her pioneering work in developing expressive yet rigorous
approaches to computer graphics.

Steina Vasulka, Joan Jonas and Pauline Oliveros
For setting artistic agendas.

Kathy Rae Huffman and Anne Marie Duguet
For their diverse activities, across three decades, to put new media
arts and women's practice, in this area in particular, on the agenda
of museums, galleries, journals and the press.

There are many others...

MY NAME: Katharine Norman
I work mostly in  digital music/radiophonic sound, and experimental
writing about it - interested in listening, people, words, voices,
places.

URLs:
Essay with weblinks to sonic work,
http://www.stayconscious.com/writings/localmaterials.html
Email fiction, http://www.stayconscious.com/reach/yesreally/
Home page, www.novamara.com

INSPIRED BY

a few influences/inspirations from women working with technology and sound

Laurie Anderson
I've always regarded her as a sonic anthropologist of the highest calibre.
http://www.laurieanderson.com/

Pauline Oliveros
Listener, network performer, thinker, composer, improvising musician.
Her way of listening, and her music have been a beacon.
http://paulineoliveros.us/

Magali Babin
Extraordinary French-Canadian performer/composer finding wonderful
sounds in unusual and usual places.
http://www.myspace.com/magalibabin

Delia Derbyshire and Daphne Oram
Both for pioneering work in electronic music in the UK, at a time when
women were more often in the BBC typing pool than the BBC Radiophonic
workshop.
http://www.delia-derbyshire.org/
http://daphneoram.org/

MY NAME: Majena Mafe
My work focuses on the perverse affect of sound in/as language, and its
implications for digital ways of saying.

URLs: http://www.sounded-language.blogspot.com/ +
http://www.that-unsound.blogspot.com.au

INSPIRED BY

Gertrude Stein
For being a ground breaker, ground shaker and self described genius.
For her introduction of the loop in language that eventually filtered
through into digital sound that the idea repetition is never
repetition. The idea that if objects are things, so too are the word
we use for them. That meaning does not lie linearly. She highlighted
the non-definitive Her play with ear-play. For her insistent sane use
of disruption. Honesty that written language is mock realism. For
highlighting the aurally charged nature of language and its connection
to meaning
http://books.google.com.au/books?id=H__e3ZXoYMEC&dq=Gertrud+STEIN&printsec=frontcover&source=an&hl=en&ei=8RHISZvVB4yMkAWwle3DDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=result#PPP5,M1

Meredith Monk
For sticking with her own throat sounds
http://www.meredithmonk.org/

Cathy Berberian
For interpreting contemporary music, Armenian folk songs, Monteverdi,
The Beatles, and her own compositions in a very throated way.
Especially for best known work is her "Stripsody" (1966), in which she
exploits her vocal technique using comic book sounds.
http://that-unsound.blogspot.com/2008/09/cathy-berberian-trills-me.html

Cathy Brietz
For her elaborate video instillations. For her shots taken at media.
http://www.whitecube.com/artists/breitz/texts/78/
http://www.kunstraum.net/content-en/artists/index/b/candice-breitz/view?set_language=en

Pipilotti Rist
For being 'not the girl who misses much'. For her insistence on the
perverse pleasure principle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipilotti_Rist
http://www.pipilottirist.net/begin/open.html

Maja Ratkje
For her use of the voice as un-mediated instrumented sound.
http://www.ratkje.com/main.php

Joan la Barbara
For her use of multiple voices. For her use of multiple voices. For
her use of multiple voices.
http://www.joanlabarbara.com/bio.html

Vicki Bennett and People Like Us
For the mischief. For her re-examining the throw away sounding out
from the 40s and 50s. For the interpolation and density of sound image
mashups.
http://www.peoplelikeus.org/index.html

Janet Cardiff
For being a composer/performer intrigued by change, the subtle and the
thick in sound, fascinated with voices and definitely enamored by
technology. For using her voice as raw material, which she transmutes
into machine noises, choral works or pulverizes "into granules of
electro acoustic babble and glitch, generating animated dialogues
between innate human expressiveness and the overt artifice of digital
processing" as the Wire Magazine put it.
http://that-unsound.blogspot.com/2008/08/janet-cardiff.html

MY NAME: Annie Abrahams

URLs: http://www.bram.org + http://aabrahams.wordpress.com

INSPIRED BY

Ada Lovelace
Jane Goodall
Virginia Woolf
Vita Sackville West
George Sand
Donna Haraway
Judith Butler
Olia Lialina
http://art.teleportacia.org/olia.html

and lots of men
yes lots of men

MY NAME: Liliana Garcia
My current work is related to Lilith

INSPIRED BY

Simon de Beauvoir
For opening my eyes that I have kept alert since then.

Laurie Andersen
For her magnificent acoustic realm.

Kate Bush
Who reminds me of something I cant quiet describe.

MY NAME: Alex Olsen (aka Alex Ookpik)

URLs:
http://www.alexookpik.com
http://www.myspace.com/alexookpik
http://www.myspace.com/alexookpik2

INSPIRED BY
Okay, it's not a short list, but I think that's a good thing. ;-)

*Inspiration from an early electronic music pioneer:*

Laurie Spiegel (added to the list with Daphne Oram et al)
She has recently posted a number of very nice, archival video clips of
herself on YouTube. It's so refreshing hearing her speak in such a
no-nonsense way. She's just so natural about it all (and such a good
sport fielding all those awkward questions). Hearing her talk about
music and computers so enthusiastically makes me swoon.
http://www.kalvos.org/spiegel.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzOJtZYsGSA&feature=related

*Mentorship & support:*

To the sound-focused, studio-loving, women that I have met in recent
years here in Toronto, who have extended encouragement for my own
music & sound studio practice:

Laurel Macdonald
http://www.improbablemusic.com/laurel/index.html

Anne Bourne (a student of Oliveros)
http://www.openears.ca/2005_site/2005/westerkamp.htm

Wende Bartley
http://www.naisa.ca/deepwireless/2002/bartley.html

*Camaraderie & Peers:*

I am so thankful that it seems that I meet more and more women every
day who are either pursuing or asking about electronic music,
recording, film editing, programming, etc.

I am especially thankful for my friends Eiyn Sof and Building Castles
Out of Matchsticks, (did I really have to wait 30 years to find
peers?):
http://www.myspace.com/eiynsof
http://www.myspace.com/buildingcastlesoutofmatchsticks

*Current Inspiration:*

Juana Molina
For stepping out of a successful acting career into a career making
beautiful, unselfconscious, electronically manipulated folk music. To
me she has re-defined to archetype of the mad-scientist electronic
music 'guy', into a steady, feminine, force (especially with her
elaborate one-woman live step-up!).
http://www.myspace.com/juanamolina

*Honorary mentions: *

Brenda Laurel (an early role-model in my interest in human-computer interaction)
http://tauzero.com/Brenda_Laurel/BrendaBio.html

To the supportive men I've met along the way, who have treated me as equal,
showed interest in my work and extended opportunities my way.

(I have to put Pauline Oliveros and Laurie Andersen here in brackets
as they have been mentioned already but always bear mentioning again!
:-) )

PS. I too forgot a very important link (in the realm of woman sound artists):

Hildegard Westerkamp
>From her site: "Hildegard Westerkamp is a composer, radio artist and
sound ecologist. She presents soundscape workshops and lectures
internationally, performs and writes."
http://www.sfu.ca/~westerka/

MY NAME: Sarah Cook

URLs: www.sarahcook.info + www.crumbweb.org

INSPIRED BY

Sara Diamond, Susan Kennard and the many great ladies of the Banff New
Media Institute (you all know who you are!)
For organising and producing amazing future-forecasting
interdisciplinary rigourously researched events and exhibitions in the
field of new media, commissioning artists, building labs and platforms
and generally encouraging an atmosphere of knowledge-sharing. I've met
some of the most important people in my career from my time spent at
Banff working for and with Sara and Susan; I owe much to them both,
and they know it ;-)
http://www.banffcentre.ca/bnmi

Kathy Rae Huffman
For opening her filofax to me within minutes of our first meeting, at
my first visit to Ars Electronica, giving me names and phone numbers
and subsequently introducing me to artists and cultural producers.
Until that point every curator I had met was quite closed about their
research and their social network and Kathy completely obliterated
that museum-influenced impression that curating was about gate-
keeping. She continues to inspire me by her very honest, ethical and
straightforward working method, for not playing the power games so
prevalent in the art world, for the early work she did for women in
new media in the 1990s, for undertaking one of the first postgraduate
courses in curating (actually Exhibition Design and later Museum
Studies) and being (and I was also on my MA curating course) one of
the few who wanted to work with media artists.
http://www.faces-l.net/en/user/10

Alison Craighead
For her (collaborative) art work, for being an absolute delight to
work with, for helping me question and refine my commitment to new
media, to art, to installation, to gallery-museum based practice, to
collections, to archives, and to the web. (And together with Jon for
teaching me about whisky, how to handle relationship breakups, how to
be nice to strangers, how to shop online, how to be a minimalist, how
to live and eat well, and where to get the best British change purses
and German unctions).
http://www.thomson-craighead.net

Marina Hyde
For writing so smartly, sardonically, and delightfully about three of
my favourite things to read about in the paper/online: politics,
sport, and celebrity. On days I wish I were a journalist or blogger
rather than a curator (which are many), contributing in an immediate
and wide-ranging way to debates which can change minds about popular
culture and media, I wish I could be like her.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/marinahyde

MY NAME: Jennifer Radloff

INSPIRED BY

Sally-Jean Shackleton of Women'sNet
For her work in training women in South, and Southern Africa and
Africa in digital storytelling. She has also been instrumental in
other solid and meaningful activist work that connects activism with
the real use of ICTs to transform women's lives.
http://www.womensnet.org.za/

MY NAME: Olga Panades Massanet

URLs: http://www.ungravitational.net
http://virtualfirefly.wordpress.com/

INSPIRED BY

Francesca da Rimini
For her evocative and cruel mappings of certain realities; her radical
use of fiction, of the impossibility coming to life. Her manufacture
of peripheral worlds, deeply rooted in actuality, but also exceeding
it in a very powerful personal style that floods perception. And
particularly for her way of constructing labyrinths that suck you in.
http://subsol.c3.hu/subsol_2/contributors/dariminibio.html

Natalie Jeremijenko
I find particularly inspiring her practical approach and aim to
produce actual results. Her current project for example, the
Environmental Health Clinic
[http://www.environmentalhealthclinic.net/] "develops and prescribes
locally optimized and often playful strategies to effect remediation
of environmental systems, producing measurable and mediagenic evidence
and coordinating diverse projects to effective material change." "Her
work explores opportunities presented by new technologies for
non-violent social change. Her research centres on structures of
participation in the production of knowledge and information, and the
political and social possibilities (and limitations) of information
and emerging technologies - mostly through public experiments."

Coco Fusco
For her ongoing fight against authoritarian policies and repression
along borders, inside communities, and across countries. An active
feminist working at the intersection of political intervention and
media-art. Hers is a critical look into the technologically mediated
environments of today that brings about questions in a daring and
playful manner.
http://www.thing.net/~cocofusco

MY NAME: Corrado Morgana

Has anybody mentioned Rosalind Franklin?

MY NAME: Giselle Beiguelman
Media artist, graduate studies in communication and semiotics -
professor, artistic director of Sergio Motta Art and Technology Award

INSPIRED BY

Jenny Holzer
http://www.jennyholzer.com/

Christiane Paul
too many links...

Ivana Bentes
I could not find anything relevant about her in English. Btw, this is
very good (from the WSF),
http://podcast.amarc.org/Social_Forums/WSF/2009/Audios/AudioFiles/Grab_2_Evana_Bantich.mp3
During her speech Ivana argued that the free media movement has to
abandon its "cry baby" mentality and make full use of all available
technologies. She says that these technologies may have been created
within a capitalist paradigm but they should not be held captive to
it. We need to use them to advance our communities and peoples.

Virginia Woolf
My favorite writer

Clarice Lispector
My favorite writer too
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarice_Lispector

Mez Breeze
mez is mez
http://www.hotkey.net.au/~netwurker/

Laurie anderson
http://www.laurieanderson.com/

MY NAME: Pall Thayer

INSPIRED BY

Oh, and let's not forget the tireless work of Jo-Anne Green and Helen
Thorington at Turbulence.org

http://www.turbulence.org

MY NAME: Perry Bard
www.perrybard.net
http://dziga.perrybard.net

INSPIRED BY

Berta Sichel
Director of Audiovisuals at the Reina Sofia Museum Madrid who recently
started a video collection for the museum. The inaugural exhibition
for the the collection contained 32 installations, 12 of them by women
(maybe a museum record?) and her programming has celebrated a wide
range of internationally known women.

Second Sarah's eloquent praise of Kathy Rae Huffman who was Director
of Cornerhouse which commissioned my artwork Man With A Movie Camera:
The Global Remake through its Bigger Picture program. Every artist
should be as lucky as I was to have such an encouraging and supportive
working relationship.

Simone De Beauvoir
For contributing a female voice to the history of western thought.

MY NAME: Ghislaine Boddington

working within the group body>data>space
http://www.bodydataspace.net
with ResCen Middlesex University
http://www.rescen.net/Ghislaine_Boddington/index.html
and previously early digital sound and movement collective shinkansen
see here for shinkansen and Future Physical archive
http://www.connectivity.org.uk

INSPIRED BY
many many women across the years and we believe by even more of the
future generations to come !!! in particular for us, the following
women have been imperative as mentors in our development of
interauthored telematic performance

Thecla Schiphorst
For her work on embodiment, sense enhancement and the human side of
digital interaction. She worked as part of the original development
team of Lifeforms software, the computer compositional tool for
choreography and she has worked with Merce Cunningham since 1990
supporting his creation of new dance with the computer. She inspires
many with her work at Simon Fraser University Vancover and with her
international exhibits including Bodymaps: artifacts of Touch, an
pioneer touch based video body installation. We have been pushed by
her thinking and questioning while working with her producing the
second iteration of "whispers" for Future Physical (Cambridge 2003)
and producing Bodymaps into the ICA as part of Virtual Incarnations
Dance Umbrella 2000.
http://www.sfu.ca/~tschipho//

Hellen Sky
Digital choreographer and telematic dancer, writer and director, the
most experienced dancing woman in cyberspace !!! Hellen is the prophet
we all need to look to for her early work on telematics and technology
within the performance and installation space, using realtime data
generated by the body. Co-founder of Company in Space in Melbourne
(1992 - 2004) this group, who we worked with several times into the
ICA and other contexts, was an inspiration for all dance technology in
the 90s. We worked Hellen again recently for the Post Me-New ID Forum
in Dresden and here is an excerpt of her writing from Virtual Physical
Bodies catalogue, published by centre des arts d'Enghien-les-Bains,
Paris, for the body>data>space exhibition Oct 2008 - Jan 2009
http://www.hellensky.com/hellen.swf

"....Although there is no gravity here
The weight of time holds me to this virtual floor
As you wait for me to arrive in streamings of bits and bytes,
zeros and ones
In realtime, lag time, day for nighttime
To arrive at the unstable matrix of my new skin

The screen is not a surface but reach of my extended touch "

....Hellen Sky

Amanda Steggell
For early work as online band Nood, releasing the first internet CD in
early 1996. Inspirational work with Per Platou as Motherboard with
installations and performative live art happenings, mediated and
modulated by the intermediary influence of the net, often integrate
audience participation and interaction. For ongoing exciting emotive
projects, bringing sensitivities and real human presence to "dry" net
time projects.
http://www.liveart.org/
http://www.liveart.org/motherboard/index.html

Plus here, in London +++, so many great women working tirelessly,
across all disciplines and the digital, often not getting much credit
over the years..................

Rachel Baker
Leanne Bird
Ilze Black
Larisa Blazic
Susan Broadhurst
Ruth Catlow
Anna Collin
Susan Collins
Kelli Dipple
Bronac Ferran
Julie Freeman
Ruth Gibson
Lizbeth Goodman
Karen Guthrie
Vesna Grandes
Delphine Gaborit
Lisa Haskell
Dianne Harris
Leslie Hill
Laura Henry
Mia Jankowicz
Janis Jefferies
Shobana Jeyasingh
Francoise Lamy
Sophia Lycouris
Pauline van Mourik Broekman
Helen Paris
Sarah Platt
Nina Pope
Hannah Redler
Gini Simpson
Annika Stark
Nicola Triscott
Claire Welsby
Sheron Wray
Marie X

who have we forgotten ? sorry........please do add more ...............:-)

PS this list proves there is no shortage of women in UK for panels and
keynotes .......so how come so many conferences, panels, etc still
have so very few women involved .....?????

MY NAME: Renee Turner

Collaborates with Riek Sijbring and Femke Snelting under the name of
De Geuzen a foundation for multi-visual research

URLs:
http://www.fudgethefacts.com/
http://www.geuzen.org/
http://www.geuzen.org/female_icons/

INSPIRED OR IMPRESSED BY (AND THESE ARE JUST A FEW):

Donna Haraway
Author of A Cyborg Manifesto: Science, Technology, and
Socialist-Feminism in the Late Twentieth Century, she has a way of
embedding and embodying technologies within history, science, bodies
and everyday life.
Online lecture here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yxHIKmMI70
A Cyborg Manifesto:
http://www.stanford.edu/dept/HPS/Haraway/CyborgManifesto.html

Laurie Anderson
Jack of all trades, hacker, pioneer and techno-shaman. In 1984, I saw
her United States Live tour, and was humbled to witness it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SirOxIeuNDE

Steina Vasulka
An early pioneer of the electronic arts, Steina, often in
collaboration with her partner Woody Vasulka, pushed the aesthetics of
technology and video to its outer limits. In 1974, she taught at the
Center for Media Study at the State University of New York, where she
was the only female faculty member at that time. Through the years her
work has played with the limits of technology while simultaneously
embracing those restraints for their visual qualities. One particular
example of this kind of approach is Machine Vision. An interview can
be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd9jaqkY6Dw

Joan Jonas
She is a funky storyteller who has the capacity to weave together the
rinky dink, the poetic and the technological. A snippet of Vertical
Roll is here: http://www.medienkunstnetz.de/works/vertical-roll/video/1/

Charlotte Moorman
Bold, experimental and a fantastically lateral Southern thinker.
Worked with Nam June Paik and had zero fears about toying with new
technology. She also had a tremendous sense of humor.
Interviewed here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiEJdOlgcDE

Avital Ronell
The author of The Telephone Book: Technology, Schizophrenia, Electric
Speech, is a mental broad surfer par excellence. Not only has she
theorized about technology, but also stupidity, addiction and
literature. She has a way of making wildly rogue connections. There is
no link of her discussing The Telephone Book, but here's one where she
discusses stupidity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3ksoUF0jjY

Lisa Haskell
Organized different projects around technology and digital culture. I
haven't seen her in years, but those early projects were inspiring and
brought many people together to think and produce in different ways.

Christina McPhee
Artist and writer....works with data landscapes. I have admired her as
a moderator on Empyre for years. She has a way of raising the calibre
of discussion without being exclusive or intimidating. That is truly a
rare trait on list culture.

Pauline van Mourik Broekman
She co-founded with Simon Worthington Mute Magazine.

Kate Rich
The Bureau of Inverse Technology: Many years ago De Geuzen, asked her
to come to the Netherlands and lecture at a symposium called Situating
Technologies. She gave an inspiring talk on the Bureau's activities.
The suicide box is still brilliant.
http://www.bureauit.org/sbox/#video

Sandy Stone
She is Associate Professor and Founding Director of the Advanced
Communication Technologies Laboratory. I admire her ability to forge
new ways of thinking about gender, machines, the erotic, science and
frontier bodies. I saw her perform several years ago at V2 in
Rotterdam, and she is an amazing storyteller. Last but not least, she
has a great sense of humor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLkqFy6J14w&feature=related

Josephine Bosma
Through her essays and interviews, she's made valuable contributions
to media art history and debate.

Annie Abrahams
Dutch artist residing in France who studied both biology and fine art.
Her work explores the impact of technologies in critical, poetic and
quirky ways. It also points to the many inherent contradictions of
mediated connectivity. Next to her work, she has created numerous
nodes of exchange and production within the net art community.

Riek Sijbring and Femke Snelting (aka De Geuzen)
I have worked with both of these women for almost 15 years. Through
practicing together, we have learned much about feminisms and media
ecologies.

I could keep going and going with more women.... but I better stop
here for the moment :-)

MY NAME: James Morris

INSPIRED BY

Mez
She has been an influence in some of my writings/list posts,
and I love her graphics work (I'd love her to design an alternative set
of icons for my game;-).

Delia Derbyshire
Discovering about her and her early work with synthesis for
the Doctor Who theme was exciting and inspiring. Two books I found very
interesting to read were "The Demon Lover - the roots of terrorism" by
Robin Morgan, and "Bosch" by Laurinda Dixon.

MY NAME: Rob Myers

INSPIRED BY

Ada Lovelace
The original hacker.

Jasia Reichardt
For Cybernetic Serendipity, "The Computer in Art", and after.

Tessa Elliot
Interactive multimedia artist and influential teacher.

Tracey Matthieson
Online multi-user VR pioneer.

Susan Kare
Designed the influential original Macintosh icons.

MY NAME: Alan Sondheim

INSPIRED BY

Katherine Hayles
She has written on digital writing and literature - more importantly,
I think, she's written absollutely brilliantly on the philosophy of
first and second-order cybernetics.

Wendy Chun
She has written on protocols, issues of control, and co-edited a
brilliant new media reader.

Margaret Boden and Sherry Turkle
Both made, I think, the most critical contributions understanding of
online psychology and phenomenology. Everyone should read their work.

Brenda Laurel
A brilliant writer whose work on theater and interface is really
critical to understanding online interaction.

Julia Kristeva
Her theories of the chora and abjection resonate in cyberspace - I'm
thinking of Powers of Horror for example.

Luce Irigaray
Her notion of fluid mechanics and its relation to the feminine is more
than descriptive of online phenomenology - see Speculum of the Other
Woman.

Anna Munster
Her book Materializing New Media: Embodiment in Information
Aesthetics, has been a touchstone for me.

Ann Weinstone
Check out Avatar Bodies, A Tantra for Posthumanism - one of the very
few sources really connecting Buddhist thought with cyber-space.

Mez
I know other people have mentioned her - but she has brought code and
body together in cyberspace in a totally new way.

Sugar Seville
She ran the Odyssey Artspace sim in Second Life for years and created
one of the most dynamic online cultural experiments and experiences
I've seen

Stacy Horn and Theresa Senft
Check out,
http://www.terrisenft.net/writing/grandinterview.html

Stacy Horn
She's a pioneer in social networking - check her out!
http://www.echonyc.com/~horn/bio.html

MY NAME: Patrick Simons

INSPIRED BY

Delia Derbyshire
http://www.delia-derbyshire.org/

Yoko Ono
http://www.a-i-u.net/biblio3.html

Annie Anxiety
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFdoPhytGqU

Maja Ratkje
http://www.last.fm/music/Maja+Ratkje

Katherine Norman
The impressively pioneering, used to use as The example of new work in
lectures, her 'My London CD'. Most of the tracks are up on sonus.ca
and/or last.fm
http://www.last.fm/music/Katharine+Norman

MY NAME: Rachel Beth Egenhoefer

5 WOMEN I THINK ARE AMAZING:

Katherine Hayles
I know she's been mentioned already... "How we became Post Human" is
one of my favorite books. In addition to being incredibly smart, ahead
of the curve, able to make an argument and stand by it, I can say from
personal experience that she is one of the most lovely academics to
meet in person.  I had the honor of working with her when she was at
UCLA and I was always amazed at how down to earth and easy going she
was.  Able to sip a soda, make jokes, and talk about the news, and
then go right into intense theory about the printing press and reading
novels on mobile phones. FYI, she is now at Duke University.
http://fds.duke.edu/db/aas/Literature/n.hayles

Martha Rosler
In one of my very first video classes back in undergrad we watched
"Semiotics of the Kitchen"  and I was hooked.  Today some of my
students find this video boring (not enough whiz bang for them I
guess) and it frustrated me that they can't put themselves in the time
period that it was made and see it as an exploration of trying to
figure out what the medium was and what it could do.  In addition to
her early videos she has written and edited numerous essays and books.
 She is still making work in New York and teaching at Rutgers
University.

Sandy Stone (aka Allucquere Rosanne Stone)
Along with Sadie Plant who has already been mentioned, her texts are
some of my favorites. "Split Subjects, Not Atoms; or, How I Fell in
Love with My Prosthesis" is an oldie but a goodie and I think way
ahead of it's time. I think she brings an interesting addition to the
list as a transgendered individual. Her semi-new website it pretty
amusing...
http://sandystone.com

Margaret Morse
"Video Installation Art: The Body, the Image, and the
Space-in-between" is a wonderful little easy she wrote that is in a
book "illuminating Video". I ready this years ago and still come back
to it. I think that "video" should be dropped from the title as it
really speaks to a lot of different kinds of art forms and how we view
them, create them, display them, etc.  She of course has many other
texts as well, all written very intelligently but accessible.

Sue Gollifer
This email wouldn't fit in your inbox if I listed everything Sue has a
hand in. To name a few she is either on the board/ a member of/ holds
a position in ISEA, SIGGRAPH, CAA (College Arts Association), Computer
Arts Society (CAS), DACS (Design and Artist Copyright Society),
Lighthouse Brighton, and many many more, all while also heading the MA
in Digital Arts at the University of Brighton, working with Digital
Printmaking, writing, making, and yes she has pink hair.  Sue is
no-nonsense, tells it like it is, gets things done, is amazingly
successful, and yet still has a ton of fun, and is incredibly kind and
generous.
http://artsresearch.brighton.ac.uk/research/academic/gollifer

And lastly as one extra... I'd like to add Ada's mother - Anna
Isabella Noel Byron. She is the one who raised Ada and encouraged her
to study math and science instead of literature.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Isabella_Milbanke

MY NAME: Aileen Derieg
I work as a translator with an emphasis on Contemporary Art and New Media.

INSPIRED BY

Judith Butler
Again and again, reading Judith Butler's books has helped me to feel
not quite so powerless in a world that I do not agree with. The way
she questions things that seem to be taken for granted, proposing
radically different ways of understanding the world that make so much
more sense - her books are certainly among the most important I have
read in my life.
http://rhetoric.berkeley.edu/faculty_bios/judith_butler.html

Faith Wilding
A description I read many years ago as a young student of Faith
Wilding's "Invitation to a Burning" was what first captured my
attention and awakened my interest in Faith and her work. Years later
I was even more impressed to realize how she had continued to develop
and evolve her work and ideas. When I first joined the Faces mailing
list in the late 90s, I nearly fell off my chair when the first
response to my introduction was a personal welcome from Faith. Having
admired and looked up to this woman for so long, I was deeply touched
by her response.

A few years ago, in the midst of a conflict, when I was feeling sad
and low, I was standing at a window looking down on an empty space,
which made me think of "Invitation to a Burning" again. I wrote to
Faith then and told her how sad I felt, how I missed the kind of
exhilarating actions that have meanwhile become part of art history. I
was very grateful for and encouraged by her response. To me, she is
not only a fascinating and inspiring artist and an intelligent and
thoughtful writer, but also a wise woman.
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/fwild/faithwilding/

Margarete Jahrmann
I first became aware of Margarete through the "Poptarts" section of
Telepolis that she and Kathy Rae Huffman were responsible for, so I
think in many ways Margarete was really the one who first introduced
me to the possibilities of feminist digital art. What I especially
love about her work is the way all the many layers are ultimately
transparent. Even though some of her writing may appear confusing at
first glance, there is a depth and fundamental coherence to it that I
find fascinating. As engaging as her work is at a first look, as often
as I come back to it and look again, I invariably find there is always
even more to it.
http://www.konsum.net/
http://www.ludic-society.net

Amy Alexander
Like Margarete, Amy is someone I admired first, long before I had the
pleasure of becoming personally acquainted with her. The first time I
heard of Amy's work was when she received an Honorary Mention in the
Prix Ars Electronica for the "Multicultural Recycler". When we later
met through the Faces mailing list, I thoroughly enjoyed her sense of
humor and her delightfully geeky interests. As we have stayed in
contact since then, this is what I continue to especially appreciate
and enjoy. What I love about Amy's work is the way the humor, the
not-so-serious view of things, is rooted in a very serious and well
founded understanding of the issues at stake. She has an amazing
ability to grasp complex issues and condense them into concise and
witty statements.
http://amy-alexander.com/

Paula Graham
Some years ago there was an interesting thread on the Linuxchix
"issues" mailing list about how the women subscribed to the list
became involved in computing. All the stories were wonderful to read,
but the one that completely blew me away was Paula Graham's. Not very
long after that, I had the great pleasure of meeting Paula at the
Eclectic Tech Carnival in Graz, and she has been very high on my
personal list of most admired women ever since.

I'm not sure whether Paula actually invented the term "accidental
techie", but she is certainly the person I learned it from, meaning
that when any kind of group reaches the point where they need to use
technology, *somebody* has to figure out how to do it. Paula is most
insistent about convincing other women to be self-confident and
self-reliant enough - no matter what their background - to become that
*somebody*. One of the most important lessons I have learned from
Paula is that women don't always need to be "nice", and that can be
quite a liberating insight.
http://www.opengender.org.uk/
http://bastubis.wordpress.com/

MY NAME: Ximena Alarcon

URLs:
http://www.deeplistening.org/site/artists/a
http://www.ioct.dmu.ac.uk/projects/ISE.html

I compose virtual sound environments and transform my scores in
multimedia interfaces. I am extending and re-implementing an
Interactive Sonic Environment - London Underground, which I initially
built in Director, using Lingo language.
http://bartleby.ioct.dmu.ac.uk/~xalarcon/project/interactive.html

Soon, I will launch my site that links the metros of London, Paris and
Mexico, thus you can have a virtual journey through the sounds of
these three acoustic environments, on Internet.
As a branch of this work, I have worked a networked off-line
improvisation called "Listening and Remembering", for commuters and
their voice (in Mexico and Paris), in collaboration with Peter
Batchelor.
Technology for me is not a goal, but a set of powerful cultural tools
to analyse, experiment with, and extend perceptions of the world. My
recent artistic work is mainly based on ethnographic work with
commuters: http://soundingunderground.wordpress.com

INSPIRED BY

I am inspired and feel encouraged with these women's work in art and technology:

Pauline Oliveros
Her outstanding work in electronic music and the continuous innovation
in the use of technologies extending her philosophy of deep listening.
http://www.deeplistening.org/site/artists/O

IONE
Her art, dynamic networking, stimulating women's art and power through
dream work, using telecircles.
http://ionedreams.us/

Serena Alexander
Strong electroacoustic textures and gestures, clean and master work,
extending the power of her voice.
http://serenaalexander.com/

Jess Laccetti
A master blogger!
http://www.jesslaccetti.co.uk

Noemi Peña
Researcher in high technology to create "Custom Ceramic Products"
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/8/9b8/a48

MY NAME: Diana McCarty (of Faces)

INSPIRED BY

Prof. Dr. Heidi Schelhowe
For her amazing work combining feminist concepts in technological
models and her work with illustrating how important the construction
of knowledge is: She informs just about everything that I do!
http://dimeb.informatik.uni-bremen.de/content/view/307/138/

Seda Guerses
Her work as a computer scientist is incredible. She asks the right
questions and is a constant challenge to some very dangerous
assumptions about privacy.
http://www.cs.kuleuven.be/~seda/

Uschi Reiter
For her tireless commitment to working for Women in Technology. She is
able to realize elegant participatory models.
http://www.firstfloor.org/ur/blog/

Michelle Teran
Her work is incredible - she connects the social with so many aspects
of technology.
http://techformance.blogspot.com/

VNS Matrix
They just got it: their early understanding of what was possible and
scary about big daddy mainframe and how to subvert it!
http://lx.sysx.org/vnsmatrix.html

Gender Changers
Because they rock!
http://www.genderchangers.org/

The Eclectic Tech Carnival
Because they rock!
http://www.eclectictechcarnival.org/

Faces Community
Possibly the only 90's mailing list that can sort out a cup of coffee,
a sofa to sleep on and has members that organize their own meetings
whenever they get the chance.
http://www.faces-l.net

MY NAME: Francesca Da Rimini

INSPIRED BY

Linda Dement
A huge inspiration for me since i first met her in adelaide's small
but wild queer punk scene back in the early 1980s. her work is
beautiful, fearless, adept.
http://www.lindadement.com/index.htm

Shu Lea Cheang
We met on email, i think through linda dement. creates complex
multi-layered spaces mixing on and offline exploring issues around
sex, violence, prejudice, society. pushes boundaries, always with
incredible style, seductive surfaces, humour. a mistress of the
interface.

Silvia Federici
Extraordinary radical historian. her book Caliban and the Witch
examines women, labour, power and dispossession through the lense of
inquisitions, demonisation and other forms of violence. a compelling
account which can be read many times.
http://www.generation-online.org/p/pfederici.htm

Teri Hoskin
Philosopher, artist, criss-crossing media as the ideas demand. not
afraid of the dark, ever. someone i can send my writing to, at any
stage of roughness, without shame.
http://www.altx.com/ulmer/hoskin/fishtrap.html#

Rea
Artist working in sculpture, photography, digital media, installation.
explores issues around indigenous/colonial histories and
representation. smart, powerful, straight up.
http://www.artreview.com.au/art/profiles/artists/mint--r-e-a.aspx

MY NAME: Ele Carpenter

The Open Source Embroidery project has led me to some fantastic women
working with media arts and crafts in many different ways. So I'd like
to nominate a list of women artists and writer who have inspired me in
their rigorous enquiry, and whose work will, or should, go in the
history books.

I've also  blogged about Ada Lovelace on www.eleweekend.blogspot.com
to highlight Richard Hamilton's poster Free Ada Lovelace, which can be
seen to make the connection between access to culture, museums,
computing and software.

INSPIRED BY

Joanna Drucker
http://www.gseis.ucla.edu/faculty/members/drucker

Sneha Solanki
http://electronicartist.net/solanki

Aileen Derieg
http://eipcp.net/transversal/0707/derieg/en

Kate Pemberton
http://www.artisopensource.net/index.php

Becky Stern
http://sternlab.org/

MY NAME: Tracey Meziane Benson

URLs:
www.byte-time.net
www.fauxonomy.org
www.dorkbot.org/dorkbotcbr

INSPIRED BY

Linda Carroli - Writer, artist and commentator.
http://flytrapper.synthasite.com
http://artwriting.blogspot.com
http://transmissionlines.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/lcarroli

Patrica Piccinini - artist
http://www.patriciapiccinini.net/

Linda Dement - artist
http://www.lindadement.com/

Elizabeth Grosz - academic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Grosz

MY NAME: Anne Roth
I wouldn't consider myself being active in media or net arts, rather
activism. I did an Ada Lovelace blog post (in German)
http://annalist.noblogs.org/post/2009/03/25/ada-lovelace-day-star-simpson-and-donna-metzlar

about

Donna Metzlar
Activist and (one of the) driving force(s) with the Genderchangers,
http://www.genderchangers.org/ and Eclectic Tech Carnival,
http://eclectictechcarnival.org/

Star Simpson
Who was arrested at the Boston Airport (and later convicted) for
"wearing a hoax device", a selfmade LED application (see
http://boingboing.net/2007/09/21/mit-student-arrested.html). She
described herself in one sentence as "I'm an inventor, artist,
engineer, and student, I love to learn, build, and do" and here are
some of the things she built.
http://starbur.st/portfolio/

MY NAME: Max d. Well

INSPIRED BY

Lynn Hershman Leeson
Already kinda literally associated by one of her outstanding works:
the movie *Conceiving Ada*... all her works (installations, videos)
make her one of the most influential and important woman artists of
the last decades

MY NAME: Micha Cardenas

I'm interested in the interplay of the body, technology and
biopolitics. I did a performance called Becoming Dragon in dec 2008.
just finishing up my MFA at ucsd, just started working in sheldon
brown's experimental game lab.

URLs:
http://technotrannyslut.com
http://secondloop.wordpress.com

INSPIRED BY

Avital Ronell
Philosopher of technology, for being my friend and mentor, ever so
briefly, one summer at EGS, and a massive inspiration who turned my
whole idea of knowledge and thought and ways of approaching politics
upside down and inside out. i can't even describe how much i owe to
her...
http://as.nyu.edu/object/avitalronell.html

Allucquere Rosanne (Sandy) Stone
Another philosopher of technology, another amazing woman who i met at
EGS who was so supportive of me throughout my 15 immersive performance
of Becoming Dragon, being more than generous, providing guidance,
wisdom and grounding, and for thinking through the questions of online
worlds and gender so long before i even started considering them, and
for so generously providing me with personal advice about
transitioning that was so valuable to me.
http://sandystone.com

Adriene Jenik
Networked performance artist, creator of distributed social cinema -
adriene is one of the main reasons i am even in grad school and
decided to dedicate myself to being an artist and has also been so, so
generous and giving throughout my years working with and knowing her.
her warmth along with her deep, deep knowledge of new media art has
guided me so much. she has been one of the main people in my life to
really educate me about feminism.
http://adrienejenik.net

Orlan
For not being afraid to find the limits of merging the body and
technology, orlan is the artist who has inspired me most. i think her
work is a shining example and challenge to artists' commitment
everywhere.
http://orlan.net/

Donna Haraway
Another massive inspiration for how i think about politics and
technology and the body who's thinking on interspecies and
transspecies relationships helped me develop my own ideas in my work.

Beatriz da Costa
Bioartist, interspcies collaborator. For making so much inspiring
bioart, for the brilliant, brilliant term Tactical Biopolitics, for
her guidance in one short studio visit about Becoming Dragon which
helped me reframe my approach to the whole project, and which has
turned out to me a great suggestion.
http://www.beatrizdacosta.net/

Elle Mehrmand
My closest and dearest friend right now, a brilliant new media
performance artist and beautiful, strong, brave ally.
http://visarts.ucsd.edu/something-happening/?author=18
http://myspace.com/assemblyofmazes (that's her band, but she's working
on a website soon)

Subrosa
For their brilliant linking of witch hunts, queer and gender variant
persecution and feminine knowledge production in Yes Species.
http://cyberfeminism.net/

probably not surprising, but its my personal list...

MY NAME: Marc Garrett

URL:http://www.furtherfield.org

INSPIRED BY

Anne-Marie Schleiner

Velvet-Strike. http://www.opensorcery.net/velvet-strike - A collection
of spray paints to use as graffiti on the walls, ceiling, and floor of
the popular network shooter terrorism game "Counter-Strike",
conceptualized during the beginning of Bush's "War on Terrorism."

"...part of a growing movement to bring a message of peace, love and
happiness to online shooters by any means necessary. Graphical User
Intervention, a more radical group of protesters, will go so far as to
sacrifice their characters for the greater cause of getting out a
message of non-violence." Wired.

When this appeared on the net art scene in 2002 I completely
understood and appreciate why Anne-marie used her computing and art
skills to embark in such a dynamic interventionist tactic, in
challenging the psychology, attitudes and fetish around violence and
war in the form of interventionist, networked play. It had to be done,
especially in contrast to the overwhelming experience of witnessing
our governments and media falling into the typical trappings of opting
for more violence to (supposedly) solve terrorism. I personally, found
it all extremely frustrating seeing the world torn apart by other
(slack) males, as well as those who bought into. This is also one of
the various anti-war net artworks, which inspired me to make some of
my own anti-war net art-works.

Aileen Deirig

Aileen, for her dedication in being part of and supporting various
contemporary, independent groups and organisations; many involving
women where she has selflessly shared her energy, ideas and varied
skills, whether it be in programming, writing or social engagement. A
collaborator who genuinely incorporates her personal, social and
contextual beliefs into her everyday life and practice. I also admire
her intelligence in understanding that art is not just about product,
but also fluid place where contemporary factors such as feminism,
politics, technology and human context all have a place, allow agency.
Some of the projects that Aileen has been involved with are:
Genderchangers - http://genderchangers.org,
The faces list - http://www.faces-l.net/,
the Servus blog - http://core.servus.at/node/164,
the Furtherfield blog - http://blog.furtherfield.org (thanks Aileen),
Monochrome Blog - http://www.monochrom.at/english, and more.
You find more Aileens projects, translations and writings here - http://eliot.at

Josephine Bosma

Josephine is also important to mention, especially in repsect of her
work around net art, networked cultures and media art generally. From
1991 until 1998 Josephine Bosma worked with the independent station
Radio Patapoe in Amsterdam and also with VPRO radio, a Dutch national
broadcaster. Since 1993 her focus has been on media art and media
theory and she has published numerous interviews and essays in book
collections and in magazines including Mute (UK), Telepolis (D), UHK
(NO), and Switch (USA). She played a key part in organizing the radio
part of the Next 5 Minutes 2 and Next 5 Minutes 3 festivals, and has
edited the streaming media sections of the nettime book, ReadMe and
the N5M3 workbook. In January 2001 Josephine initiated the newsletter
for net art criticism, Cream. Josephine Bosma lives and works in
Amsterdam. Josephine Bosma's Database, here you will find essays,
articles, lecture notes, transcripts and broadcasts etc.
http://laudanum.net/cgi-bin/media.cgi?action=frontpage

Sadie Plant

The most important Sadie Plant book for me was 'The Most Radical
Gesture: The Situationist International in a Postmodern Age, published
in 1992. It's one of those books that you read over and over again.
What I personally got from it was how rich her perspective was in
contrast to most Situationist historical texts on the subject, and
more expansive. Here is a link to an interesting interview with Sadie
Plant Brett by Stalbaum and Geri Wittig -
http://switch.sjsu.edu/web/v5n1/plant/

If you have not read The Most Radical Gesture and do not wish to take
the risk of  buying it, why not visit here on Questia where you can
read it on-line and copy etc
http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=103446663

MY NAME: Helen Varley Jamieson

my ada lovelace day post:
http://creative-catalyst.com/serendipity/index.php?/archives/13-AdaLovelace-Day.html

MY NAME: Michelle Kasprzak - Curator & Writer

http://curating.info
http://michelle.kasprzak.ca
http://twitter.com/mkasprzak

...and here's my post, too!

http://michelle.kasprzak.ca/blog/archives/365

blogged at: http://m3me.wordpress.com/

Ada is an inspiration as much in her foresight as in the ways she
accomplished and implemented her ideas. going beyond the conventions
of her days, she did not let herself being encloistered by her class
and society, but found ways to implant her ideas into the public
sphere.

Conceiving ada was my initiation to her life and work, transposed
already to our times.

Technology stems from the industrial-military complex, and what it is
missing most, in order to be used artistically, is poetry. poetry as
in beauty, as in emotion, as in awe.

Here some contemporary artists i came across that are driven in this way:

natabor: http://www.aa-vv.org/

adriana sa: http://adrianasa.planetaclix.pt/

ursula scherrer: http://www.ursulascherrer.com/

sculptrice: http://iiie.klingt.org/sculptrice

This brings us back to nature, maybe the most compelling discussion we
should be having, as an arrogant, snobish past is giving way to a
growing sensation of symbiosis and the fragility of its interrelations.

A 130 year old woman was 'discovered' in kazakhstan; when asked (how?
why? - kind of silly really; as if they were not more interesting
points of debate) attribute humor and using grandmother's cures for
all ills. An unbroken chain of knowledge, that women can pride
themselves on. Interestingly, it is not always adquired but can 'feel'
intuitively right.

Ada is as close as it can get to adam, 'the first one', tricked out of
paradise and innocence by the scheming eve, eager for more; our
chastity belt ever since. this might be coming full circle..

There is a growing movement of women empowerment worldwide, which will
make a difference, specially when the patriarchal society is about to
wave the white flag; like the microcredit movement or video
volunteers:
http://www.videovolunteers.org/

Ada is not about any specific thing, she is about the 'going beyond'
oneself to achieve something that wants to come forward. it is about
doing the intuitive thing. names don't really matter. it is about
communication and exchange. she developed a part of that, the growing
'global consciousness' we call 'the net' - a tool that shrank space
and time;

curious where it will take us..