On 19/01/10 20:52, helen varley jamieson wrote:
> is "collaboration" really happening on facebook & twitter?

I'm sure it is. But the point of those services is not that they are
profound social enablers but that they allow people to stay in touch and
maintain relationships over time and over distance. "Social grooming",
it's called, and for all the occasional weirdnesses in her writing I
think Danah Boyd (http://www.danah.org/) captures the dynamics of social
networking and microblogging sites for the people who use them
authentically (sic) very well. Given my background in international
email-based internet communication I misunderstood how people use group
blogs and social networks, and this made me misjudge projects like
"Nasty Nets" socially (but not aesthetically).

That said, my point was that the "other party" in sites like Facebook
and Twitter that we work with in order to create something is Facebook
or Twitter itself. It's an inhuman, alienating collaboration.
Sharecropping, to use Lawrence Lessig's term for corporate exploitation
of cultural producers. We collaborate not with other people but with
software (created by other people whose interests are not our own) to
commodify or reify a presentation of our (aspitational, normative,
public) selves and relations in the less cyber, less spatial cyberspace
of the Internet now that it's something you have to work to avoid rather
than something you have to beg steal or borrow access to.

Paul Virilio pointed out that the original meaning of "mediation" was
negative, implying a punishment of enforced separation from direct
access to the royal court. We are accepting mediation by software
services as the price of convenient (re-)production of our presentation
and consumption of self and social relations on the net. We would not
otherwise be able to maintain them without learning HTML, FTP, etc. and
staying up late separated from physical human contact in order to
maintain this telepresence. Is giving that isolating technological
donkey-work up such a terrible price to pay, or is it just an
unavoidable consequence of the far greater benefits of not having to
service our own cars before we drive to the party? Octavia E. Butler's
"Xenogenesis" books spring to mind.

I have Facebook and Twitter accounts. I'm pointing the finger at myself
here. I mentioned email-based internet communication earlier. Through
email and mailing lists I discovered lots of people who have inspire me
and have helped me materially. I wouldn't have found out about Joy
Garnett, Chris Ashley, MANIK, Pall Thayer, the Furtherfield crew, Annie
Abrahams and many other people without email (and in particular, prior
to netbehaviour, rhizome-raw...). I wouldn't have had a show in
Belgrade, my reviews published, been to many events and shows, had my
beliefs and understandings and opinions challenged or changed without
email. Or without the other people who worked out how to use it in the
pre-Googlemail era.

With Facebook and Twitter? I've eventually found the same people.
They've posted useful URLs or amusing photographs occasionally. It's
good to keep that contact. But it's only keeping that contact.

This may be a generational thing. I'm ancient in net years. But email
wasn't designed to capture or create social value for monetization by
corporations, it was designed to distribute memos on military and
academic campuses. Using email for social and artistic (and political)
purposes ironised it merely by using it. The same irony isn't possible
with the Foxy Whiskered Gentleman's shed of Web 2.0
(http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/14814). The obvious way of ironising a
social networking service is to make it un- or anti-social. But that
precludes collaboration, within the system at least. We collaborate on
shared projects. The shared project of Facebook is Facebook. How can we
ironise this?

[As an aside - How can we introduce and (ew) problematise figure-ground
relationships in the aesthetics of Facebook? At least Twitter and
MySpace allow you to give your web pages their own background and CSS.
Isn't it interesting that Facebook doesn't...]

- Rob.