Discotrope is an audiovisual performance by Amy Alexander and Annina
Rüst, with sound design by Cristyn Magnus. Performances invoke both
alternative energy and the curious history of dance in cinema – from
backlots to backyards.

Discotrope events can range from seated concerts and gallery
performances to public space dance parties. We’ll project moving images
of dancers – both party attendees and recorded clips – onto the
Discotrope ball. The video dancers power the ball, literally and
figuratively: the ball uses solar cells as disco ball mirrors. So the
projected dance videos not only reflect off the ball, they also
“solar”-power the motor that makes it rotate – which creates
zoetrope-like projections on the surrounding walls, floors, surfaces,
and people. We’ll perform the ball live, adding color and light effects
to the video projections that vary the amount of light to the solar
cells. That changes the speed of the ball’s motor, which allows us to
“choreograph” the movement of the projected visuals as they move around
the space.

more...
http://discotrope.org/