From: Christoph Lameter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 10:57:51 -0700 (PDT)

> We are discussing something that is not useful for todays network load
> and not standardized. TOE is the only answer to offloading transfers of
> data encountered in contemporary networks.

It is talk like this that makes me want to not participate in such
threads....  "TOE is the only"...  please, spare me the unary view
of the world ok?

Here is one idea.  Do a reverse LSO, have a dynamic cache on the
network card watching saddr/daddr/sport/dport flows, and accumulate
as many in-order TCP packets as possible into one large R-LSO frame.
This accumulation is timed out by a length and time parameter
programmable in the chip, just like HW interrupt mitigation is.

Then the stack receives these (up to 64K) frames.

This is the kind of discussion of alternative ideas I am _NOT_
seeing.  Which shows how blinded people are to alternatives to
TOE.

Christoph, you're a really bright guy, perhaps you can sit and come up
with some other ideas which would act as stateless alternatives to
TOE?  I bet you can do it, if you would simply try...