From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Michael Buesch
Sent: Thursday, January 26, 2006 3:46 PM
To: Ben Greear
Cc: David Hollis; John W. Linville; Samuel Ortiz; netdev@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: wireless-2.6 status (25 January 2006)

On Friday 27 January 2006 00:10, you wrote:
> Michael Buesch wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 11:04 -0800, Ben Greear wrote:
> >
> >>If someone has a reverse-engineered HAL that might could be used as
> >>well.
> >

> > From a quick look at the HAL asm code (mips-le), I think symbol
> > names are obfuscated. So reverse engineering is Not Easy (tm).
>
> No doubt.  It also may be illegal (IANAL) to provide an open-source
> HAL in the US due to FCC restrictions because it gives users an easy
> way to screw up frequencies not legally available to them.  That seems

> to be the primary reason why it is binary-only in the first place.

Uhm, So in your opinion the bcm43xx driver is illegal in the US, because
you can modify bcm43xx_radio_selectchannel() to tune to illegal freqs?
I don't know the law, but I doubt that.
IMHO it is not the software, which does illegal things, but the _user_,
which tunes to these freqs.

--
Greetings Michael.