From: Jeff Garzik [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 10:04 PM
To: Simon Barber
Cc: Patrick McHardy; David Kimdon; netdev@vger.kernel.org; John W.
Linville; Jiri Benc
Subject: Re: [patch] d80211: use pfifo_qdisc_ops rather than
d80211-specific qdisc

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 08:37:04PM -0700, Simon Barber wrote:
> Doing this will slow down the qdisc - it does already run an external
> classifier first if you install one. On typical laptops performance is

> not a problem, but one common usage does have problems. The
> performance of a wireless home gateway based on a simple linux kernel
> configuration (NAT, iptables, bridging) is significantly slower than a

> VxWorks based one. With the arrival of 802.11n improving the
> performance of the stack is very important. The VxWorks solution may
> be less flexible in terms of what it can do, but it will allow the
> full 802.11n bandwidth to be achieved on slower embedded CPUs than
> Linux does. How to improve the linux kernel networking to improve it's

> efficiency here is a hard problem.

First do it right, then tune performance.  If you aren't doing it right,
then who cares about VxWorks.

We also need 802.11 to register as a real protocol, rather than faking
ethernet.  David Miller did an example stub:
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jgarzik/patchkits/2.6/dave
m-p80211.tar.bz2

        Jeff