On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 05:11:06PM +0100, Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 07, 2007 at 03:11:34PM +0100, Harald Welte wrote:
>
> > > So instead of using NAT to dynamically redirect traffic to local
> > > addresses, we now rely on "native" non-locally-bound sockets and do
> > > early socket lookups for inbound IPv4 packets.
> >
> > It's good to see a solid implementation of this 'old idea'.
> >
> > Just as a quick historical note to netdev:  This is the way how the
> > netfilter project  advised the balabit guys to implement fully
> > transparent proxy support, after having seen the complexity of the old
> > nat-based TPROXY patches.
>
> Didn't rusty tell the balabit guys to use the NAT approach?

that was originally, way back.  It turned out to be a bad idea, after
all... way too complex.  At least that's how I look at it.  Too sad :(

Rusty and me then had the idea about the routing based approach at some
point, if I remember correctly.  We talked about it with Krisztian and
Balazs at least on one occasion.

All that isn't really important.  All I wanted to say was:

"I (and AFAIR the netfilter core team) believe this is the way to
implement good support for transparent proxying.  It's already the
second completely independent implementation, let's merge it after all."

--
- Harald Welte <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                 http://netfilter.org/