--- In netmeeting-discussion@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Sullivan"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I am finding that ZA (free) 6.1.737.000 is blocking NM RDS from
> > answering a remote IP call when the remote IP has not been
> > specifically listed as a 'Trusted' IP, and, this is occurring
when
> > the target (RDS) machine has not yet been logged on to.
> >
> > ie. when Windows Update (more or less) forces a reboot, I lose
> > access to my target machine because I can no longer re-connect
after
> > it has finished re-booting and come up to the Logon screen in
Win XP
> > Pro SP2.
> >
> > The pre-logon issue may also simply be a quirk with how and when
the
> > RDS service is started in XP on a re-boot (when RDS has been
> > left 'Activated') ... I'm not entirely sure about this, but
don't
> > really think so because I have demonstrated (limited
> > tests: 'Trusted' local sub-net; OK, and, dial-up remote IP; NG
> > unless 'Trusted' IP added or ZA disabled) that re-connectivity
seems
> > fine with ZA configured with 'Trusted' remote IP [or outright
> > disabled]), so, I believe it is more likely a function of the
> > calling IP having to be listed as 'Trusted' in ZA when, really,
any
> > IP should be able to connect.
> >
> > FYI - I have NM RDS configured with all rights (Trusted &
Internet,
> > both Access & Server), so, theoretically, it should accept
> > connections from any IP, before or after Logon has occurred.
> > I have the NetMeeting program itself configured with Access:
Trusted
> > & Internet and Server: Trusted only rights.  These config
param's
> > have always worked fine for me ...
> >
> > The reason for my post - is there anything (other than the ZA
> > firewall 'Trusted' IP issue) that I'm missing that could be
gumming
> > up the works here? ... like the initial sequencing/timing of
> > the 'Start'ing of the NM RDS Service in XP
(configured 'Automatic' -
> > appears to change from 'Paused' to 'Start'ed based [only?] on
system
> > tray icon commands) when I leave NM RDS 'Activated' while away
from
> > home and re-boot remotely.
> >

> Is the XP SP2 firewall running in addition to Zone Alarm?
>
> It causes an issue with RDS:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;878451
>
> though it doesn't sound like that could be your problem.
>
> I don't know about order of RDS service startup vs. Zone Alarm --
I do know
> that if just using the XP firewall alone NM RDS functions
(assuming the
> indicated fix is applied) regardless of whether the user is logged
in or
> not.
>
> Have you tested without ZA active -- or even with it uninstalled to
> determine if it is the root cause?

Hey Brian ... thanks for getting back to me on this ...

No XP SP2 firewall running - just ZA (free) 6.1.737.000, but, thanks
for that MS KB link, I'm gonna look it over anyways to see if it can
assist me at all with router config issues that persist for me and
my cousin (when the receiving party of a normal NM call is behind
either of our routers - Linksys BEFW11S4 V4 and D-Link D_604).  I
shelved my attempts to make that work some time ago but it still
bugs me.
Anyways, yes, my limited testing included disabling ZA 'Load at
startup', which had the effect of permitting an RDS connection post
re-boot pre-logon from a non-'Trusted' IP.  That's why my primary
suspicion is ZA and the 'Trusted' IP config aspect.
However, that being said, I have noted in the past that I've had
to 'Turn off' RDS and then re-'Activate' (during a normal logged-in
session, post boot, having left RDS 'Activate'd) to establish
connectivity, even though the RDS system tray icon had indicated I
was 'Activate'd already.  Hence the lingering suspicion about the
RDS Service Automatic startup post re-boot when RDS was
left 'Activate'd.
If I can obtain some info about how to establish the impact of order
of service loading (on my specific target machine) and what I can do
to modify / mitigate service start sequencing, that seems like a
good direction to go to further isolate any potential startup issues
in my situation.
That, and, I will continue to pursue the ZA 'Trusted' IP config
aspect of this with the ZA forum folks.  There seem to be other
probs with this latest ZA freebie (like loss of proggy icon caching
and [otherwise permitted] connectivity after prolonged client
dormancy) that I need to pursue with them over there as well.
Thanks again Brian.

Yahoo! Groups Links