On 2016-08-05 at 14:34:04 +0200, Vadim Kochan <vadi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 3:26 PM, Tobias Klauser <tklau...@distanz.ch> wrote:
> > On 2016-07-26 at 21:35:15 +0200, Vadim Kochan <vadi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Update UDP csum field at runtime if:
> >>
> >>     1) UDP field was changed.
> >>
> >>     2) IPv4/6 source/destination addresses were changed
> >>        (which is a part of UDP pseudo header), this is
> >>        handled by IPv4/6 protocols.
> >>
> >> Also changed proto_lower_header(...) function to use header index
> >> to lookup lower header faster, the reason is that this function
> >> is used for updating UDP csum.
> >
> > I think the changes to proto_lower_header() should be a separate patch.
> > Also the introduction of proto_upper_header() should be separated out.
>
> Is it not easier for you to have it in one patch with having the use
> case how it is used ? And you was squashed once my trafgen's icmpv4
> series,
> and I started to think may be it is not necesseary to split changes
> into a lot of smaller ones ...

If the patch introduces or changes  generic functionality which is/will
be used by multiple modules or subsequent patches I usually like to see
them separated.

In the icmpv4 case it was self-contained functionality and only added
code, not deleted/changed existing code. Also the resulting patch was
small enough, so I decided to squash them (as I also did for my ICMPv6
implementation).