I'm trying to capture WiFi packets between a Windows 10 machine (client) and a
Linux controller (AP) using 802.11b/g/n in the 2.4GHz range on channel 1.  I'm
running an iperf3 test between the client and the AP.  I can capture traffic,
but the capture doesn't seem to collect nearly as much data as is passing
between the client and AP.  Do I have something set up wrong?

I've got an Alfa awus036neh USB WiFi adapter on a separate laptop booted into
Kali Linux (2019.3).  I start the adapter in monitor mode using the following
commands, and start netsniff-ng.  The details are in the attached text file.

root@kali:~# airmon-ng check kill root@kali:~# airmon-ng start
wlan1root@kali:~# iw wlan1mon set channel 1 HT20
root@kali:~#   netsniff-ng --in wlan1mon --out dump.pcap --silent --bind-cpu 1
iperf3 reports 10's of MB being transferred during the recording (5MBytes per
second), but the dump.pcap file is less than 1MB.  It doesn't seem that
everything is being recorded.  Is the data being stripped out?  I'm not
specifying a filter.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/netsniff-ng/1847617941.270633.1572616266725%40mail.yahoo.com.
root@kali:~# iw dev
phy#1
        Interface wlan1
                ifindex 4
                wdev 0x100000001
                addr 76:38:50:b4:7a:4f
                type managed
                txpower 20.00 dBm
phy#0
        Unnamed/non-netdev interface
                wdev 0x2
                addr 28:16:ad:c9:9d:61
                type P2P-device
                txpower 0.00 dBm
        Interface wlan0
                ifindex 3
                wdev 0x1
                addr 82:d4:86:49:73:24
                type managed
                txpower 0.00 dBm
                multicast TXQ:
                        qsz-byt qsz-pkt flows   drops   marks   overlmt
hashcoltx-bytes tx-packets
                        0       0       0       0       0       0       0
00
root@kali:~# airmon-ng check kill

Killing these processes:

  PID Name
 1105 wpa_supplicant

root@kali:~# airmon-ng start wlan1

PHY     Interface       Driver          Chipset

phy0    wlan0           iwlwifi         Intel Corporation Wireless 8260 (rev 3a)
phy1    wlan1           rt2800usb       Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2870/RT3070

Failed to set wlan1mon up using ip

                (mac80211 monitor mode vif enabled for [phy1]wlan1 on
[phy1]wlan1mon)
                (mac80211 station mode vif disabled for [phy1]wlan1)

root@kali:~# iw dev
phy#1
        Interface wlan1mon
                ifindex 5
                wdev 0x100000002
                addr 00:c0:ca:95:fa:30
                type monitor
                txpower 20.00 dBm
phy#0
root@kali:~# airmon-ng stop wlan1mon

PHY     Interface       Driver          Chipset

phy0    wlan0           iwlwifi         Intel Corporation Wireless 8260 (rev 3a)
phy1    wlan1mon        rt2800usb       Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2870/RT3070

                (mac80211 station mode vif enabled on [phy1]wlan1)

                (mac80211 monitor mode vif disabled for [phy1]wlan1mon)

root@kali:~# airmon-ng start wlan1

PHY     Interface       Driver          Chipset

phy0    wlan0           iwlwifi         Intel Corporation Wireless 8260 (rev 3a)
phy1    wlan1           rt2800usb       Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2870/RT3070

                (mac80211 monitor mode vif enabled for [phy1]wlan1 on
[phy1]wlan1mon)
                (mac80211 station mode vif disabled for [phy1]wlan1)

root@kali:~# iw dev
phy#1
        Interface wlan1mon
                ifindex 7
                wdev 0x100000004
                addr 00:c0:ca:95:fa:30
                type monitor
                channel 10 (2457 MHz), width: 20 MHz (no HT), center1: 2457 MHz
                txpower 20.00 dBm
phy#0
        Interface wlan0
                ifindex 3
                wdev 0x1
                addr 82:d4:86:49:73:24
                type managed
                txpower 0.00 dBm
                multicast TXQ:
                        qsz-byt qsz-pkt flows   drops   marks   overlmt hashcol
tx-bytes        tx-packets
                        0       0       0       0       0       0       0
0               0
root@kali:~# iw wlan1mon set channel 1 HT20
root@kali:~# netsniff-ng --in wlan1mon --out dump.pcap --silent --bind-cpu 1
Running! Hang up with ^C!

           0  packets incoming (0 unread on exit)
           0  packets passed filter
           0  packets failed filter (out of space)
          20  sec, 428739 usec in total

***Unplugged and re-plugged the Alfa WiFi adapter that was wlan1

root@kali:~# iw dev
phy#2
        Interface wlan1
                ifindex 8
                wdev 0x200000001
                addr 00:c0:ca:95:fa:30
                type managed
                txpower 0.00 dBm
phy#0
        Interface wlan0
                ifindex 3
                wdev 0x1
                addr 82:d4:86:49:73:24
                type managed
                txpower 0.00 dBm
                multicast TXQ:
                        qsz-byt qsz-pkt flows   drops   marks   overlmt hashcol
tx-bytes        tx-packets
                        0       0       0       0       0       0       0
0               0
root@kali:~# airmon-ng start wlan1

PHY     Interface       Driver          Chipset

phy0    wlan0           iwlwifi         Intel Corporation Wireless 8260 (rev 3a)
phy2    wlan1           rt2800usb       Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2870/RT3070

                (mac80211 monitor mode vif enabled for [phy2]wlan1 on
[phy2]wlan1mon)
                (mac80211 station mode vif disabled for [phy2]wlan1)

root@kali:~# iw wlan1mon set channel 1 HT20
root@kali:~# iw dev
phy#2
        Interface wlan1mon
                ifindex 9
                wdev 0x200000002
                addr 00:c0:ca:95:fa:30
                type monitor
                channel 1 (2412 MHz), width: 20 MHz, center1: 2412 MHz
                txpower 20.00 dBm
phy#0
        Interface wlan0
                ifindex 3
                wdev 0x1
                addr 82:d4:86:49:73:24
                type managed
                txpower 0.00 dBm
                multicast TXQ:
                        qsz-byt qsz-pkt flows   drops   marks   overlmt hashcol
tx-bytes        tx-packets
                        0       0       0       0       0       0       0
0               0
root@kali:~# netsniff-ng --in wlan1mon --out dump.pcap --silent --bind-cpu 1
Running! Hang up with ^C!

        9349  packets incoming (11 unread on exit)
        9360  packets passed filter
           0  packets failed filter (out of space)
      0.0000% packet droprate
          15  sec, 431698 usec in total