It’s hard to think of any actual, successful  military coups or anything
similar except in Africa anytime recently. Certainly not in any country
remotely as “advanced” and complex as the US. However, The Republican party has
certainly been high methodical and quite successful in setting the
stage—abetted by outmoded provision of the Constitution—to extend minority
power unfitting for a true democracy. In addition, the Democratic Party, as is
well-known, has been much too cozy with corporate interests at the expense of
most people. Much of this will continue post-Trump.

What I think is somewhat hopeful now is that the anti-democratic elements  are
more visible and being more actively opposed. While it’s certainly possible
that Biden would have won without the pandemic, his increase in votes—close to
80 million total— despite the pandemic and all the efforts at voter
suppression,  is quite extraordinary. The Republicans were more adroit in
getting votes of new voters by vast disinformation and  careful manipulation of
internet data. But the Democrats could clearly catch up with that, and
left-wing Democrats may be in the lead.

Further, anti-racism is showing real , new strength, as is environmentalism and
greater recognition and opposition to economic inequality….

 All reasons not to succumb to too much pessimism.

Best,
Michael