Darren Reed writes:
> James Carlson wrote:
>
> >Darren Reed writes:
> >
> >>I never even knew about 3XNET...why would I want it?
> >>

> >Ancillary data doesn't work in 3SOCKET.  It does in 3XNET.  That's the
> >big reason.
> >

> Ok, so there are no compelling reasons to use 3XNET unless someone
> needs to interact with ancillary data (whatever that is - there
> are no man page references to this on sendmsg/recvmsg.)

It's all the things you can receive and send as special socket
options.  See all of the IP_RECV* flags, for a start.

>  So my
> conclusion is that ancillary data is "rare" and the need for 3XNET
> rarer still - but all the same, we provide for it - and thus there
> is no reason not to tell people to use libsocket unless they come
> back and say "where is my ancillary data?"

If you feel compelled to use libsocket for some reason (e.g., dragging
in libnsl as well because libsocket is incomplete is a good thing, the
crufty old struct msghdr definition you get that has msg_accrights is
comforting), then I won't bother to argue the point.  Both are
supported.

The point is that having two is confusing, and of the two, 3XNET is
better for modern applications (i.e., those attempting to use socket
options), so I'd recommend it first.  The other one seems to have
little going for it but the well-known name and prestige location in
the man page search path.

--
James Carlson, KISS Network                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>