On Tue, 2016-06-14 at 08:22 -0400, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> thanks for the explanation. It generally matches my understanding of
> the world :-)
>
> The odd thing is: this is a vanilla client connection, all the
> details
> are in ovpn file, I am connecting to OpenVPN servers. Import works,
> but the connection fails to connect. Debugging it is, um, nontrivial.
> It clearly tries, but it hasn't imported some setting or secret
> right.

Also, import silently ignores unknown values from the file.
https://git.gnome.org/browse/network-manager-openvpn/tree/properties/import-export.c?id=96081a2c2e05f64d89433d150053291516bddd5e#n1409
Maybe that is a bug, but fixing it might mean that we fail to import a
lot of connections that we imported previously (and which may actually
work, as it is not clear that the ignored properties are essential).

> You are right, NM starts the libexec binary.
>
> I've tried to debug connections in the past, and the best I could do
> was to replace /usr/libexec/nm-openvpn-server with a shell wrapper
> that logged the debug output. It is a pita if you're not an NM
> developer.

Another way to debug VPN plugins is
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/NetworkManager/Debugging#Debugging_NetworkManager-openvpn

With (not yet released) 1.4 you will also be able to enable debug
logging of the plugin via

  nmcli general logging level KEEP domains VPN_PLUGIN:TRACE

> Is there a way in which openvpn, called from the commandline, can
> call
>  /usr/libexec/nm-openvpn-service-openvpn-helper ? :-) probably not,
> and you'll tell me I'm misguided.

if you pass --up /usr/libexec/nm-openvpn-service-openvpn-helper to
openvpn, then it will act like as started by the plugin. But that
wouldn't do you much good, because the helper tries to contact
NetworkManager via D-Bus, which isn't expecting the request.

From logging (above) or via `ps aux | grep openvpn` you can see the
arguments passed to openvpn. You can then retrace what the plugin does
and compare the result.

Thomas