Graham Watkins wrote:

> And here's the secondpart.

Ok up to here

> Pick Realplayer and the 28.8 speed internet connection. After you accept
> settings, you will get a download dialog.  Tell it to "open".  When you
> get the "open with" dialog, type in "realplay" and hit OK.
> Now Realplayer should come up and you should be connected to WTAW radio
> out of College Station, Texas.

This where this are not quite the same
Yes, I get the WTAW radio ,
Yes  I had the open with dialog and went OK to open,

but no sound , and a warning:-

Invalid Makefile
file//tmp/mediaplaylist.dill

> You should be hearing sound out of your
> speakers now.  If not, double check your Kmix settings.
> Now dfox is rubbing his hands together cause he knows it's going to get
> interesting. ;)  OK, in your Eterm or fav terminal program, and also
> while you are in your ~/tmp dir or similar, you want to enter the
> following:
> sox -V -c2 -r 44100 -t ossdsp -w -s /dev/dsp  test.ogg
> This should start (transparently) recording your net broadcast whilst
> you are simultaneously listening to it. If you want to terminate the
> recording to listen to the ogg file, hit cntrl-c and sox will properly
> terminate the file.
> Explanation of the above settings:
> -V tells you what Sox is doing as it does it.  Otherwise you don't see
> too much.
> -c2 sets up the recording for two channels in stereo.
> -r 44100 samples the sound data from /dev/dsp at CD quality rate.
> -t ossdsp -w -s /dev/dsp is a system of qualifiers that tells sox what
> kind of device file it should be listening to and what to expect from
> the data type that's coming from it; i.e., your soundcard's digital data
> stream.2
> test.ogg looks innocuous, but the suffix of the filename is telling sox
> what kind of file you want to record!  That's right, there's no extra
> qualifier for the type of output file; it interprets what you want from
> the output file suffix.  Thus, if you want wav, you put test.wav.  And
> sox records that filetype.
> After you've recorded for a while, hit cntrl-c in the terminal window
> that you started sox in, and you'll get a command line.  Now enter
> xmms test.ogg
> And listen to what you've got.  Hopefully you've got an ogg that
> recorded at 370kbps or so.
> If you like, while xmms is running, you can run the sox command line
> above in a terminal window and make a recording of your recording as it
> plays back.  Not that it's useful, it's just a demo of what's possible.
> Right now I'm working on editing the oggfiles to cut out unwanted
> segments; I'll cover that in the next chapter, unless someone has an
> editing procedure that they want to share.
> LX

I do have sound out of realplayer, but I have a via 8233 Mobo sound chip
with audio 97 codec ,running on alsa sound driver with aRts enabled,
therefore no sound card as such, but as I say realplayer plays audio cd
our of my dvd/rom drive.I don't feel that sound card configuration is
the problem here.

I am using mozilla here not konq, but I tried konq, just the same, only
no warning  invalid makefile etc came up.

I installed realplayer form,

ftp://speakeasy.rpmfind.net/linux/freshrpms/misc/RealPlayer-8.0-1.i386.rpm
amazingly it installed without problems, no dependencies

Oh, Im on M8.2 here.

Any suggestions,

John

--