Kaj Haulrich wrote:

On Sunday 14 December 2003 14:57, John Richard Smith wrote:

<snip>

So I don't get it.

</snip>

Neither do I, John. But I remember having this graphics on my initial install of 9.2. As usual when "upgrading" (=install), I start tweaking things, including lilo. If I recall correctly, I removed something like *silent* and *nosplash* from lilo besides changing vga from 788 to 791. And on the next reboot, I magically had the nice, black screen back.

Perhaps you could post your lilo.conf here ? - I'm sure someone knows how to remove the graphical boot screen.

Kaj Haulrich.

Sure,

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=791
#vga=normal
default=91-2.4.21.0
keytable=/boot/uk.klt
lba32
prompt
nowarn
timeout=200
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
#ignore-table
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.13mdk
      label=91-2.4.21.0
   root=/dev/hda7
   initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdk.img
   append=" quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"
   #append=" quiet devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi acpi=off"
   vga=791
   read-only
<snip>
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19-16mdk
   label=90-2.4,19-16
   root=/dev/hda6
   initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.19-16mdk.img
   append="quiet devfs=mount hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi nobiospnp"
   vga=791
   read-only
<snip>
other=/dev/hda1
   label=W2000
   table=/dev/hda
other=/dev/fd0
   label=floppy
   unsafe

The hashed items are mainly the default settings I changed, but like you say it's about changing something

*silent* and *nosplash*

but I suspect in anouther file/directory.

now in /boot directory I currently have ,
boot]# ls

boot.0300 boot.b@ chain.b config@ config-2.4.19-16mdk config-2.4.21-0.13mdk grub/ initrd-2.4.19-16mdk.img initrd-2.4.21-0.13mdk.img map initrd.img@ kernel.h@ kernel.h-2.4.19-16mdk
kernel.h-2.4.21-0.13mdk
lilo@
lilo-bmp/ lilo-graphic/
lilo-menu/
lilo-text/
lost+found/ mbr.b
memtest-3.0.bin
message@
message-graphic
message-text
os2_d.b
System.map@
System.map-2.4.19-16mdk
System.map-2.4.21-0.13mdk
uk.klt
vmlinuz@
vmlinuz-2.4.19-16mdk
vmlinuz-2.4.21-0.13mdk

Are you sure it isn't somewhere in one of these directories or files that you edited it ?

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]