My wife has a Solo 5300 that we bought a year ago refurbed. The first one got damaged in shipping..but Gateway replaced it withou problem..since then it has been rock solid..even better than the desktop i once had.

frankieh wrote:
Marc wrote:

I also had a gateway some time ago, I sold it to a friend about 3 years ago. I think it was probably one of the last decent machines gateway made. It had a full mid tower case that was made well. A real graphics card as well as a creative labs soundblaster sound card. It even came with a floppy drive, It seems like gateway quit installing those as standard equipment some time ago. I have worked on computers for a lot of people around the area that I am in. To the best of my knowledge I am the only person for at least 15 miles around that builds or repairs computers so I have seen a lot of gates ways since I first got mine and every one has been at the lower end of the quality spectrum. I must have had one of the last reasonably good ones that they made because I have had my fingers into many of them since then and every one has had some shortcomings with quality but this BS with the one that I helped my neighbor with this week is in my mind a whole new leval of crap for Gates way.
I have probably done over a hundred ML installations and have seen more than a few problems along the way but this is the first machine where I have seen something that screwed up.
Marc

Gateway went bust in australia and pulled out...
Starting to see why..

I had cause to deal with gateway laptops several years back.. it seemed a solid if uninspired design..
wonder what the modern versions are like.

--
My "Foundation" verse:
Isa 54:17 No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.