Do you want to bring down the network period, or just the NIC?

To shut down the network:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop

To start it again, just replace the 'stop' with start and it will come
back up.

To drop the network device here's the command you'll need.

/sbin/ifconfig eth0 down

Again, replace the 'down' with up and it will do the job for you.  I
would suggest going more with the /etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop/start
then the ifconfig command.

Not sure why'd you'd need to do this, but necessity is the Mother of all
invention huh?
tdh

--
T. Holmes

Uptime:
 10:17am  up 4 days, 17:54,  8 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.03, 0.01