Sorry to keep banging on about canals, everyone must be sick of them,
but I have a big interest in the subject as I have hundreds of miles
of them in Thailand.

Problem is, most are irrigations trenches - some man made - from very
big to very small. Most aren't canals in the sense of Amsterdam with
boats, although some are.

In fact the term "khlong" - the local word - is the perfect one for
what these things are.

Does anyone know if there is a tag I could use for these? Something
under man_made perhaps? I haven't seen one

On 11/09/2009, at 6:46 PM, newbies-requ...@openstreetmap.org wrote:

> For this area I've used Dock
>
> "A dock is an '*enclosed'* area of water used for loading, unloading,
> building or repairing ships"
> For ships read barges.
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Dock
>
> Don't be discouraged by the pictures showing large sea fairing
> ships. I
> think it stil applies to canals .
>
> Cheers
> Dave F.