On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 14:12, Serge Wroclawski <emac...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Every once in a while, I find I have a question which I should know
> the answer to...
>
> For folks who use the Garmin eTrex GPS, there's a two step process I
> use to gather the data.
>
> First, I put the unit into UMS mode and grab the gpx file
> corresponding to the date I'm interested in. This gives me the
> traces/tracks/breadcrum trail.
>
> Secondly, I run gpsbabel against the GPS like this:
>
> gpsbabel -i garmin -f usb: -o gpx -F foo.gpx
>
> And that gives me the waypoints.
>
> My normal method of entering the data into OSM from this is I start up
> JOSM and load both sets.
>
> What would be ideal, though, is if I could load the waypoints into
> Potlatch. Unfortunately OSM doesn't let me upload those gpx files
> because they're so sparse.
>
> Is there something I can do to look at the waypoint data in Potlatch?
> Some option I've missed? Convert it to another format? Combine the
> datasets somehow?

If you have a waypoint file and a track file like this you can combine
them using GPSbabel:

    gpsbabel -t -w -i gpx -f waypoint.gpx -i gpx -f track.gpx -o gpx
-F merged.gpx

However that will merge /all/ your waypoints with the track file. On
Garmin devices waypoint dumps can span multiple days but the track
file you get when mounting the device is per-day.

gpsbabel has a way to filter tracks by start/stop date but I haven't
found out how to do the same for waypoint data, I recall someone
mentioning that you could do some sourcery like convert the waypoints
to a track, filter them and convert them back to achieve that but I
haven't tried that or found out how to do it, it would be useful if
someone could tell me how.

In those cases where I've had a single waypoint file and say gpx files
for 10 days I've just merged the waypoints with all of them and then
manually deleted the ones that didn't belong in a text editor for each
file, tedious, but I don't do it so often that I've gotten around to
writing a script to do it / beat gpsbabel into doing it.

In any case even if you merge the files like this you'll in the worst
case end up with a GPX file with too many waypoints, which doesn't
really matter that much usually.