That does sound unsafe to ride over.  I assume it has safety railings, but they
are likely to be of a height designed for a pedestrian, not a cyclist. A
cyclist who sideswiped one of the railings might well fall over the railing
into the water.

On April 11, 2015 7:30:52 AM CDT, Philip Barnes <p...@trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 2015-04-11 at 08:12 -0400, john whelan wrote:
> > The local city has recommended cycle paths one of which crosses a
> > canal via the tops of the lock gates.
> >

> > So steps up to the top of the lock gate, and a max width of .5
> meters
> > and the path varies according to which pair of the three pairs of
> lock
> > gates happen to be closed.  The maximum width is important as it
> means
> > tricycles are unable to use this route.
> >

> > Any suggestions on how it should be mapped?
> >
> That is madness, ask for a copy of the risk assessment.
>
> I have never come across a cyclepath doing this, but do know of a
> public
> footpath that crosses a lock gate. There is a second side barrier on
> that gate for safety reasons, but it a bit scary getting a dog over.
>
> I would map the section over the gates as a footway with
> bicycle=dismount. That way routers will be deterred from using it and
> find a more suitable route.
>
> Phil (trigpoint)

John F. Eldredge -- j...@jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive
out hate; only love can do that." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.