I've use the tag "shop=supermarket" for both quite large and fairly small
places.
One place I tend to check is the taginfo page for OSM.  It shows the tags in
the current map and where they are used.
Here's the page for  shop | Keys | OpenStreetMap Taginfo
(https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/shop#values)
|   |
|   |  |   |   |   |   |   |
| shop | Keys | OpenStreetMap TaginfoXAPI JOSM Level0 Editor overpass turbo A
place selling retail products or services. Overview Values Combina... |
|  |
| View on taginfo.openstreetmap... | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

>From there, it looks like "grocer" is a fairly uncommon (just 14 hits for
>"shop=grocer") as compared to "grocery" (671) or "greengrocer" (13+k).
>"supermarket" comes in at 211+k.
Based on that, I would probably stick with "supermarket" as my first choice,
then move to "grocery."

- John
--
John Werner
 http://www.snowtire.info

     On Tuesday, April 21, 2015 2:41 PM, Bill & Kathy Patterson
<bill_patter...@tricolour.queensu.ca> wrote:

 How would you tag a grocery store in North America when it's too small to be a
supermarket.  The OSM guidelines use the European differentiation between
grocery store and greengrocer, but on this side of the pond the latter is very
seldom seen and the two functions are generally rolled into one.  Do I just go
with feature=retail_building and the shop=grocer tag, ignoring the European
convention?