Spies of the Balkans: History intrudes

August 21, 2010

Jack Batten

Novelist Alan Furst.
<http://media.thestar.topscms.com/images/07/51/b038cdea4a1cb4c9910e55840900.jpeg>

Most historians appear to think that citizens of the Balkans have always been a
little crazed. Maybe more than a little.

Otto von Bismarck, the smartest German politician of the 19th century,
certainly thought so. In 1898, when he was asked what would bring about warfare
in modern Europe, he answered, “Some damned foolish thing in the Balkans.”

Bismarck knew what he was talking about.

On June 28, 1914, a tubercular Serbian teenager from Bosnia named Gavrilo
Princip was eating a sandwich in a Sarajevo delicatessen when Archduke Franz
Ferdinand of the Austro-Hungarian Empire drove by in an open motorcade. Princip
rushed into the street and shot Franz Ferdinand dead. The assassination, which
came as the last straw in numerous European rivalries, led a few weeks later to
the opening shots in the World War I.

For thriller writers, the Balkans have never been easy to get a handle on. The
politics and the geography are slippery. Borders keep changing and so do
alliances. Each nationality has little use for every other nationality, and
it’s a given that everybody shades the truth about everything.

Eric Ambler, who set some of his wonderfully atmospheric World War II thrillers
in the region, handled the Balkan narrative problem with an adroit piece of
plot construction. In such books as The Mask of Dimitrios, he placed a small
and personal mystery story on centre stage while around the edges, just off
stage, the fight for the unruly and unpredictable Balkans proceeded at its own
pace. For readers more engaged in the mystery — most of us — there was little
danger of the war’s larger events intruding on our pleasure.

The contemporary American author of bestselling thrillers, Alan Furst, takes
the opposite approach. Over the course of 11 densely researched books, Furst
has been tracking European history from 1933 to 1945, from Hitler’s rise in
power to his suicide. At least two of the novels, Blood of Victory (2002) and
the new Spies of the Balkans, deal with the Balkans, a part of the world that
might have defeated a less determined author.

Unlike Ambler, Furst wouldn’t dream of allowing his readers to pay anything
except the closest attention to the meaning of the Balkan fighting. It’s
virtually the only subject on every character’s lips. Risky love affairs occur
on the peripheries of Furst plots, and puzzles over random crimes promise
interesting diversions. But no matter how much readers may care about romance
and murder, Furst treats these as mostly background noise. The point of the
books is to answer one question: Who’s going to get the best of the crazy Serbs
and Albanians and the rest of the region’s eccentrics? Furst never loses sight
of the objective.

In Blood of Victory, British Intelligence recruits a world-weary Russian
journalist named I. A. Serebin to mess up Germany’s plans to help themselves to
Romania’s oil. The mission is discussed at enormous length in many clandestine
Balkan locations, but when Serebin finally gets around to carrying out his
specific mission in the overall scheme, we’re not entirely sure why he
bothered. Enlightened as we become about Balkan issues — Furst is never less
than authoritative — we’re still wondering more than anything how Serebin’s
carrying on with the delicious Marie-Galante will fare.

Typical of Furst, the central figure in Spies of the Balkans is the only honest
man in sight. Furst loves his heroes to be brave and resolute, guys who shake
their heads at the thought of what lies ahead but never allow a small case of
nerves to interfere with duty. The novels may offer plenty of bombings,
shootings and killings, but the books’ optimistic and cheerful spirit, familiar
from 1940s American war movies, tempers the violence. In such an atmosphere,
Spies of the Balkans’ decent and gallant Costa Zannis arrives as a natural
Furst hero.

Zannis is a police detective in the Greek seaport of Salonika. The period of
his adventures in the book covers six months from late 1940 to the spring of
1941. The Germans and Italians are producing ominous rumbling at the northern
reaches of the Balkans, prepping for an eventual invasion of Greece. Croatian
fascists are cozying up to Mussolini, Serbian Chetniks are arming for a
freelance resistance movement, a dictator named Metaxas is making a hash of
Greece and the rest of the region seems to be taking whacky pleasure in the
chaos.

Zannis, meanwhile, freelances a series of daring Allied missions. He
establishes an escape network through the Balkans for Jews fleeing from Berlin,
and he rescues a British scientist who has fallen into Nazi hands. At the same
time, since all Furst heroes are tireless ladies’ men, he carries on three
romances, the most risky with the wife of a powerful Greek businessman.

By the time we close the book, we’ve had our fill of Balkan nuttiness, but
we’re most excited about Zannis’s piece of dangerous wooing.

Jack Batten is a Toronto author and freelance writer. His Whodunit appears
every two weeks.

http://www.thestar.com/printarticle/849545