Vzglyad

Russian minister rejects Canada's Arctic claim

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and his Canadian counterpart, Lawrence
Cannon met in Moscow on Thursday to discuss their countries' claims to the
Arctic shelf and options for cooperation in the region.

Cannon alarmed experts and politicians on Wednesday, ahead of his meeting with
Lavrov, by saying that Canada has proof that Russia's claims are invalid.

Russia bases its claims to a significant section of the Arctic shelf on the
argument that the Lomonosov Ridge, a mountain chain running underneath the
Arctic, is an extension of its continental shelf, something Canada
categorically refutes.

Following Thursday's talks, Lavrov said only the UN Commission on the Limits of
the Continental Shelf can rule on their competing claims.

The Russian minister said that the UN commission's role was to consider the
various countries' claims to extend their sections of the continental shelf
based on research data.

"We have submitted our claim, which was considered, after which [the
commission] issued its recommendations regarding additional information,"
Lavrov said. "We are now collecting this information. Everything must be based
on verifiable data."

The UN Convention on the Law of the Sea (1982) stipulates that any coastal
state can claim undersea territory 200 nautical miles (322 km) from their
shoreline and exploit the natural resources within that zone.

Russia, the United States, Canada, Denmark and Norway have been trying to
assert their jurisdiction over parts of the Arctic, which is believed to
contain 25% of the Earth's undiscovered oil and gas. They have been running
Arctic expeditions to collect evidence in support of their claims.

In 2001 Russia was the first to file a claim to extend its Arctic shelf area,
but it was returned for lack of evidence. Lavrov said Russia was gathering
additional evidence to bolster its next claim, to be submitted in 2011.

Canada has until 2013 to submit proof of the validity of its claim to the
United Nations

http://en.rian.ru/papers/20100917/160623086.html