People in the Balkans need to feel the tangible benefits of EU accession

Autumn 2010

by Audronius Azubalis
<http://www.europesworld.org/NewEnglish/Home_old/PublicProfile/tabid/690/UserID/4050/language/en-US/Default.aspx>

http://www.europesworld.org/DesktopModules/ITOmni.ContentRating/images/star_norating.pngDescription:

http://www.europesworld.org/DesktopModules/ITOmni.ContentRating/images/star_norating.pngDescription:

http://www.europesworld.org/DesktopModules/ITOmni.ContentRating/images/star_norating.pngDescription:

http://www.europesworld.org/DesktopModules/ITOmni.ContentRating/images/star_norating.pngDescription:

http://www.europesworld.org/DesktopModules/ITOmni.ContentRating/images/star_norating.png

I would suggest a three-point plan to prevent the Balkans enlargement process
from turning sour. First, there should be tangible benefits so that people in
the Balkans can really feel there are advantages from the EU accession process
– after all, Macedonians, Serbs and Montenegrins can already travel to the EU
without visas. More intensive people-to-people contact, including an increase
in “Erasmus” scholarships would be one such benefit.

Second, Balkan countries seeking EU membership need to take difficult decisions
to sustain the reform progress. This would bolster public support that is
presently weakening for further enlargement of the EU.

Third, there should be greater trust in the EU’s commitment to enlargement.
Sometimes I hear pessimistic views from the Balkans, but Lithuania heard the
same arguments when we started the EU accession process back in 1995. It took
nine years for us to reach our goal, but we got there in the end. I strongly
believe therefore that 2010-2020 will become the decade of the Balkans.

http://www.europesworld.org/NewEnglish/Home_old/Article/tabid/191/ArticleType/ArticleView/ArticleID/21731/language/en-US/PeopleintheBalkansneedtofeelthetangiblebenefitsofEUaccession.aspx

<<image001.png>>