subject: 13 July, 2003
----- WYSIWYG NEWS -------------------------------
Copyright, Brian Harmer

Having arrived in the dark of a winter evening, I gained
little or no first impression of Te Anau, and the low
overcast weather next morning did little to rectify that
situation. The motel we had chosen was reasonable enough,
though after the delights of the Homestead in Dunedin, it
would have been difficult to give it a fair trial. After
the epic mileage of the previous day, Mary and I had
agreed to abstain from travel on the Sunday, despite the
comparatively calm day, and somewhat ominous forecasts
for the rest of the week. Nevertheless towards the end of
the day we did walk along the rather pleasant path around
the Southern edge of the lake. As we walked through the
late afternoon, light rain showers forced us to protect
our cameras, though truth to tell, I think we were in
more need ourselves, of protection from the chill. The
path took us through light bush and occasional tussock
around the lake shore over to the gates through which the
lake flows out through the Waiau River on its way to
Manapouri. Judging by the number of cars parked there,
the weather was not deterring the hardy types out on the
Keppler track. However, looking back across the lake, the
lights of Te Anau township were warning us that we had
ventured out late in the day, and return along the unlit
path was achieved just before total darkness fell.
Earlier that same morning, while walking around the town,
Mary had found an office selling tickets for Doubtful
Sound cruises, so we booked for Monday, notwithstanding
those forecasts. Our booking was with the smaller of the
two companies (see
http://www.fiordland.org.nz/Activities/Cruise/Fiordland-
Explorer-Charters.asp) who were offering a winter
discount, so it seemed like a good deal. Next morning,
around 9 am we were collected from our Motel in a
clattery diesel van, with its heater fan roaring loudly
but ineffectually against the pervasive winter chill, and
squashed in with six or seven others wearing damp rain
gear, we were driven the 30 or so kilometres to Manapouri
township. There we boarded the boat for the trip across
the lake of the same name. It was a smallish vessel, and
for whatever reason all twelve paying customers elected
to stay out of the main cabin, and under the shelter of
the canopy at the stern. Even as the outboards ticked
over to back us away from the wharf, the rain was falling
fairly steadily, leaving an ever-changing pattern of
concentric ripples on the otherwise flat calm and dark
brown water.

Once clear of the anchorage and out into the open lake,
the two outboards came to life, and that boat just got
up and flew! It was a narrow catamaran, and it left an
arrow straight wake behind us as it skimmed the dark
waters of the lake. As we travelled the rain varied in
its intensity, sometimes allowing a view of the
surrounding mountains, sometimes drawing the curtains.

I am unsure if I am making a virtue of necessity, but the
low clouds and mist provided a dramatic mood on the lake
as various cliffs and peaks emerged and vanished as we
passed. Given that Lake Manapouri was the smaller of the
two legs of our journey, and given the speed at which the
boat was travelling, it was surprising that it took forty
minutes to cross to West Arm. Part way there, the vessel
suddenly leaned to starboard as the skipper steered to
cross the wake of the larger company's rather slower
vessel ahead of us. Crashing back to surface of the lake,
we resumed the original course, leaving the bigger boat
far behind. As we went, the skipper kept up a moderately
well informed commentary on the trees and geology of the
region. He seemed though, to think that ratas were unique
to the South Island (Metrosideros umbellata), and that
the only comparable tree in the North was the Pohutukawa
(Metrosideros excelsa). He seemed entirely unaware of the
mighty Northern Rata (Metrosideros robusta) but the Cook
Strait was very far to the North, marking the boundary to
a foreign land, so perhaps he can be forgiven.

Eventually, he throttled back on both the commentary and
engines as we approached the visitor centre at West Arm,
and the only noise was the hissing of the water under the
decelerating hull. Once ashore, we milled about examining
the various exhibits in the centre while our guide parked
his boat and retrieved the bus for the trip to the power
station and thereafter to Doubtful Sound. As the other
company's boat was arriving with its fifty or so
passengers, we boarded our bus in still drizzly
conditions, and discovered another of the regional
hazards as we drove off. The mountain parrots, Keas
(Nestor notabilis), had picked out every shred of rubber
sealing strip between various sections of the roof and
from around the vents. As a consequence the bus was
completely non-waterproof, and all of the soft cloth-
covered foam seats in the bus were saturated. As we sat
on them, they transferred a fair percentage of their
burden to our trousers and lower anatomy. Furthermore,
the motion of the bus tended to drive the still arriving
water through the superstructure to run dripping along
the ceiling and then drop so as to cause maximum
discomfort. The only benefit the bus body actually
afforded was shelter from the slipstream. Still, it was
all an adventure, so with soggy bottoms and dripping
upper works, we drove down into the spiral road that
burrows for over 2km into the very bowels of the
mountain. Caves and tunnels are not really my thing, but
there has to be admiration for the engineering involved
in the construction of this great enterprise. Edvard
Hagerup Grieg would surely have such a place in mind when
he wrote "In the Hall of the Mountain King". Deep beneath
the surface, we paused in the generation hall. After
looking down on the blue-painted tops of the line of
generators, I was moved by the plaque to the memory of
those killed on the project. We re-boarded our soggy
chariot, and set off back up the spiral.

Emerging into daylight, once more, our intrepid party set
off with wipers slapping, up the surprisingly well made
road across tumbling creeks, near feathery waterfalls and
over the mist-shrouded Wilmott Pass and thence down to
Deep Cove in Doubtful Sound. Another small boat, this
time the eleven metre "Ocean Opal" was our next
conveyance. This is one of those rather odd welded
aluminium boats made in roughly the form of a "Zodiac",
or hard-bottomed inflatable. It had a comfortable and
spacious cabin, and since the weather outside was still
somewhat moist, I chose to begin there, sitting alongside
our versatile bus driver/skipper. That landed me with the
job of periodically wiping the windscreen since the
vessel had no demisters of her own. Though this boat has
a planning hull capable of quite a turn of speed, the
journey was conducted at a more modest speed than the
trip across Lake Manapouri. This was useful in allowing
us to see the Sound (despite the cloud), and probably
saved us from injury since the sounds, though relatively
sheltered are not as flat as the lake.

For the next four hours we meandered around the various
arms of this magnificent wilderness, looking at the
myriad cascading waterfalls that emerge in wet weather.
At one stage, the skipper parked the boat under one of
the cascades. The water was falling from so far above is
that it landed more as rain than as a torrent, but it was
an interesting experience. It's hard to believe that in
all that massive area, there are just three permanent
waterfalls. On this day, we saw literally hundreds. My
photographs of the trip don't really convey the splendour
of the scenery, perhaps because the weather allowed us to
see just bits of it at any one time.  The rain stopped,
though the clouds remained low and fragmented, and
various high peaks drifted in and out of view like those
wonderful misty Chinese ink paintings with receding
layers of mountains.

At one part of the journey we came out to the mouth of
the Sound and experienced the steady heaving of metre
high swells coming in from the Tasman. We cruised around
several of the smaller islands and made the acquaintance
of some New Zealand fur seals basking(!)in a very watery
sunshine on the rocky ledges at the water's edge. Whether
it was the clatter of the six or seven camera shutters at
once, or perhaps that the boat was just too close, these
sturdy characters just oozed off the rock and with
scarcely a ripple, slithered into the water. The only
further sign we saw of them after that was a slight
disturbance on the otherwise calm water as the perfect
shape kept us at a safe distance. A squadron of little
blue penguins (Eudyptula minor) was seen near the shore
at one stage, so we fell into formation with them. They
swim surprisingly high out of the water, looking more
like ducks than penguins. For the entire day, we saw just
one other boat on the Sound, and it struck me just what
danger you would be in, if you were to become lost out
here. Literally thousands of square kilometres containing
no other living soul. Of course that is also part of the
magic of the place, to know that even when we were safely
home in a warm dwelling for the night, all that grandeur
is still out there.

Eventually the day came to an end, and we returned to
Deep Cove, where we rejoined our still wet bus for the
return trip up over the Wilmott Pass. At the crest, we
stopped for a look backward, and though it wasn't
entirely clear, the clouds parted to the greatest extent
we had seen all day and the whole expanse of Deep Cove
was revealed. The trip from there back to West Arm and
across the lake was something of an anticlimax, since
night was now falling, and the trip back across the lake
was rather like commuting home after an extraordinary day
at the office. Regardless of the weather, I would commend
a trip on Doubtful Sound to anyone. It will have a
different aspect in bright weather but is no less
spectacular even in the rain.

Well, I didn't get as far as I planned in this episode,
so the journey North through Queenstown and Okarito will
be next.

-----
Any text above this point, and all subsequent material in
parentheses, and concluded with the initials "BH" is the
personal opinion of Brian Harmer as editor of this
newsletter, or occasionally "HH" will indicate an opinion
from Helen. In all cases they are honest expressions of
personal opinion, and are not presented as fact.

Welcome back to the indefatigable Brian Dooley who
resumes supplying the financial figures as he has done
for almost the entire life of WYSIWYG.

All news items (except where noted otherwise) are
reproduced by kind permission of copyright owner, IRN
Ltd.

----
On with the news

Monday, 07 July
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CANNABIS OPERATIONS BUSTED IN TAUPO
------------------------------------

Taupo police have uncovered five elaborate cannabis-
growing operations, based at homes between Taupo and
Wairakei, in the past six weeks. The size of the
operations ranges from 40 plants to the latest seizure of
463. Law Enforcement team spokesman Andrew McCullough
estimates the value of the latest haul at about $370,000
dollars. There have also been numerous arrests relating
to possession of cannabis, oil and smoking utensils.

ATTEMPTS TO RESTORE POWER TO GISBORNE-WAIROA

Helicopters have been brought in to try to help linesmen
restore power to a hundred or so homes in the Gisborne-
Wairoa area blacked out during the weekend's snow storm.
An Eastland Network spokesman says the choppers are
ferrying up to 50 electricity workers into remote areas
where snow is still affecting road access. He says they
are hoping to get the power back on to most homes today,
but some will have to wait until tomorrow. Most of the
power outages are in the Matawai and Motu areas inland
from Gisborne and around Raupunga near Wairoa.

(Snow was sufficiently heavy to have collapsed the roof
of at least one wool shed. Snow is not a normal
characteristic of the East Cape region, even in winter. -
BH)

TYPE OF FUEL AVERTS DISASTER
----------------------------

The type of fuel spilled in Wellington Harbour after a
fishing boat was struck by an interisland ferry has
helped avert an environmental disaster. Huge holes were
left in both sides of the San Domenico after the Aratere
crushed it against the wharf on Saturday night. The
incident resulted in the spillage of 31,000 litres of
diesel into the harbour, but it is gradually evaporating.
Harbourmaster Mike Pryce says the problem would have been
far worse if it had involved heavy black oil.

(The Aratere was berthing at the time, in strong winds.
An investigation is under way to determine the cause of
the accident, but the fact that the ship was back in
service the next day tends to preclude mechanical failure
as a likely cause - BH)

CONCERN AT INCREASE IN PRODUCT RECALLS
--------------------------------------

Food producers are being called on to sharpen up their
act. The country's biggest supermarket chain that
operates Woolworths, Foodtown and Countdown is concerned
by the high number of product recalls. Already this year
around 130 products have been recalled or withdrawn. That
is a 400 percent increase on 10 years ago. Progressive
Enterprises merchandise manager Mark Brosnan says many of
these recalls are a result of simple mistakes that should
have been avoided. He says industry needs to improve its
attention to detail and get things right first time.

MIXED BLESSING FOR NORTH ISLAND SKIFIELDS

The weekend snow storm has been a mixed blessing for the
North island skifields. Both Turoa and Whakapapa received
more than 40cm of snow, with more snow forecast for
tomorrow and Thursday. The extra cold temperatures were
also excellent for snowmaking. Mount Ruapehu Marketing
Manager Mike Smith says the snow brought by the blast of
freezing weather was more spectacular than helpful. He
says he is hoping to be able to open the upper mountain
later this week, if the snow and snowmaking conditions
continue.

NZ PERSONNEL HEADING TO AFGHANISTAN
-----------------------------------

Around 100 New Zealand defence force staff are due to
leave on a 12-month mission to Afghanistan. The personnel
will form a provincial reconstruction team based in
Bamian. Defence Minister Mark Burton says the New
Zealand-led PRT will focus on enhancing security and
promoting reconstruction efforts. He says the team will
take over an already established mission and will receive
logistic support from the coalition forces in
Afghanistan. The mission will cost around $26 million.

STUDENTS GETTING 'RUBBISH' QUALIFICATIONS

An education advocacy group fears New Zealand will be
left with an Ivy League secondary school structure. It
follows news Cambridge High School granted some Level One
NCEA credits for students who collected rubbish. The
Quality Public Education Coalition believes that will
undermine the qualification and backfire on students at
schools in lower income communities. It says employers
and tertiary institutions will start to look at schools
attended rather than qualifications earned. QPEC says it
could be assumed students from lower socio-economic
schools received Level One from answering the phone,
picking up litter or starting a chainsaw. But it says the
opposite would be assumed with those from a school in a
higher income community.

MADGE LOSES CASE OVER GE
------------------------

Mothers Against Genetic Engineering says a High Court
ruling confirms the law is inadequate when it comes to
protecting New Zealand's environmental and economic
interests. MAdGE has argued the final two stages of
experimentation on genetically modified cows at Ruakara
were not a "development", but a field test.
The High Court has ruled MAdGE's concerns are justified,
but Justice Potter could not find fault with the legal
process for approving genetic testing and ruled in favour
of the Environmental Risk Management Authority. MAdGE
spokeswoman Kate Wood says New Zealanders have been let
down by the law.

Tuesday, 08 July
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AUCKLAND PROPERTY PRICES JUMP AGAIN
-----------------------------------

A shortage of good quality listings caused a jump in
Auckland property prices for June, according to real
estate agency Barfoot and Thompson. Sales figures show
the price of the average Auckland house rose by more than
$15,000 dollars last month, to around $370,000. Director
Peter Thompson says the market is being shaped by two
opposing forces - continuing buyer demand and a shortage
of quality listings. He says their listings have not been
this low since the winter of 1996.

TRIBUTES FLOW FOR 'BUCKET MAN'
------------------------------

Hundreds of Wellingtonians, including the city's mayor,
have turned out to pay their respects to a local
transient. Sixty-one-year-old Bob Jones died on the
streets during a storm one week ago, as a result of ill-
health. Dubbed "Bucket Man", Bob was a well-known face on
the streets of Wellington for about 20 years. A couple of
hundred people attended the service, including his mother
and sister. He was described as a gentle man who
stubbornly refused all offers of help despite worsening
health.

(At the same time that various politicians uttered pious
platitudes about the late Mr Jones - who is not related
to Sir Robert Jones - city councils in Wellington and
Auckland were exploring legislation to allow them to move
the homeless on from where they offend the sensibilities
of the affluent. - BH)

CYF ISSUES WARNING TO PARENTS
-----------------------------

Parents are being told they face a fine if they are
caught leaving under-14-year-olds home alone during the
holidays. Child Youth and Family says the maximum penalty
for leaving a child unattended is $1,000. Chief social
worker Shannon Pakura says parents are responsible for
ensuring their children are supervised by a responsible
adult. She says keeping children safe becomes an issue
during the school holidays.

POSSIBLE STUDENT LOAN SHAKE-UP
------------------------------

A shake-up of the student loans scheme could be on the
cards. The Government has briefed student leaders on
possible changes to the student loans and allowances
regime. It is understood the annual interest rate on
student loans could be cut from seven to three percent.
But Education Review editor John Gerritson says the zero
interest rate for people still studying would be axed.
And he understands the interest write-off for people on
very low incomes would end. John Gerritson says another
possibility is cancelling loan balances after 20 years.
He says there is also been talk about a savings scheme to
help families pay for tertiary education.

CURRY ROW CAUSES MOTEL STINK
----------------------------

A Morrinsville motelier is denying she is racist. An
Auckland family says it was told it would not be welcome
at the Morrinsville Motel for fears they would cook
curries, leaving a bad stench. Partha Roychoudhury
believes the motelier made an assumption based on a
racial prejudice against Indians. The motelier says there
is another side to the story but she refused to
elaborate. She says the staff member who dealt with the
family is extremely upset. Meanwhile, Motel Association
Chief Executive Theo Simeonidis says this incident is
embarrassing for all parties concerned. He says the
association is always keen to ensure no misunderstandings
arise when dealing with customers.

(The staff member is upset? Oh dear! What a shame! I
wonder Mr Roychoudhury felt? I have stayed in a motel
which had signs prohibiting the cooking of strong
smelling foods, but that's a different thing from turning
away someone because he is Indian and therefore "might"
cook curries. - BH)

ROADS OPEN AGAIN - FOR NOW
-------------------------

The Napier-Taihape road (State Highway 5) has reopened,
but road authorities warn extreme care is needed due to
icy conditions. It is also thawing out on the Central
Plateau where the Desert Road on State Highway 1 has
reopened, however it is not expected to remain open for
long as the MetService predicts temperatures will plummet
again tonight. Motorists are being advised to take
extreme care.

FAMILY WANTS MENINGITIS DEATH PROBE
------------------------------------

An independent investigation is being sought into the
death of a young Wellington woman from meningitis.
Nileema Sharan was misdiagnosed as having a strained neck
at a private medical centre. She had earlier waited for
more than three hours without being seen at Wellington
Hospital. The 25-year-old died at home later the same
day. Her mother Radhika Mani says the medical centre has
apologised but she is still not satisfied. She is writing
to the Health and Disability Commissioner to ask that a
full independent investigation be carried out.

(The media and various people who see the world in stark
black and white terms have been quick to criticise the
A&E departments around the country for episodes such as
this.  The unpalatable facts are that this is a strain of
meningococcal disease for which there is, as yet, no
vaccine. Further, it is a very difficult disease to
diagnose, and is sometimes hard to distinguish from other
winter ailments. Thirdly, its progress is sometimes
extremely rapid. Bringing all those factors into an
overcrowded and understaffed emergency room, where the
harried staff must judge priorities among wildly
different threats to life must surely be a fertile ground
for mistakes. The avoidable loss of a loved one is a
monumental tragedy for the family and friends, but it is
wrong to leap to judgement and accuse the medical staff
of culpable negligence. Humans under enormous pressure
are bound to make errors of judgement from time to time.
Life is a risk - BH)

WHOOPING COUGH HITS HAWKE'S BAY
-------------------------------

Babies as young as two weeks old are being hospitalised,
as an outbreak of whooping cough spreads across Hawke's
Bay. Eleven new cases have been notified this month,
bringing the total for the year to 21, compared with 17
for the whole of last year. Hawke's Bay District Health
Board Community paediatrician, Dr Russell Wills, believes
the board is only seeing the tip of the iceberg as only a
small proportion of cases are notified. Dr Wills says
young babies are at the highest risk of contracting the
very infectious disease and some with the disease simply
stop breathing. The first symptoms of whooping cough are
similar to those of a common cold, but after a few weeks
coughing occurs in spells that can last more than a
minute. Children often gasp for air with a characteristic
"whooping" sound. In severe cases, they can turn blue in
the face or vomit. Infants may stop breathing for a few
seconds. The infection is more likely to be misdiagnosed
in adults and adolescents, as symptoms are milder.

SEARCH FOR MISSING NELSON MAN
-----------------------------

Search teams assisted by a helicopter are scouring an
area south of Nelson for a man missing since Tuesday
morning. The 41-year-old set off for a run around 7am and
did not return home. Inspector Hugh Flower says police
spent the morning checking roads in the Brightwater area
and the search was scaled up this afternoon. He says
there is growing concern for the man's wellbeing as he
was only lightly clad when he set off from home and is
not equipped for a night in the cold.

ERMA WELCOMES GE RULING
-----------------------

The Environmental Risk Management Authority is welcoming
a High Court ruling on its genetic experimentation. The
lobby group Mothers Against Genetic Engineering has been
arguing that ERMA's GE tests on cows crossed the line
from development to field test. The High Court has found
that MAdGE's concerns are justified, but it could not
find faults with the legal processes of approval for
ERMA's test. ERMA boss Baz Walker says the Authority
strives to make careful, robust decisions. He plans to
thoroughly examine the ruling to see what can be learned
from it.

(I understand that MAdGE is contemplating further
appeals. Should there be the need to post a bond against
which costs could be levied if they lose yet again? - BH)

ETHICS OF 'DESIGNER BABIES' CONSIDERED
--------------------------------------

A medical ethics committee is to consider guidelines for
pre-implantation genetic diagnosis. It follows a request
from Auckland-based Fertility Associates to the committee
on assisted human reproduction. The company wants to use
the technique to select embryos without medical defects
for in vitro fertilisation. Ethics committee chairwoman
Professor Sylvia Rumball says the Minister of Health has
asked it to draw up guidelines. She says it raises
questions of how far scientists should go in selecting
embryos. In some countries, the technique can be used to
select the child's sex, and it is also possible to select
characteristics such as hair colour.

FREE PLUNKET SERVICES NOT AFFECTED
----------------------------------

There are assurances from Plunket that any user pays
charges will not affect the free services it currently
provides. The organisation is investigating the
possibility of charging mothers who want extra services.
Chief Executive Paul Baigent says Plunket nurses report
many of their clients actually offer to pay for extra
services. He says one way of doing that might be to
request significant donations from those who can afford
it. Mr Baigent says that would mean more services could
be made free to those who cannot pay.

DOLLAR'S SURGE CONTINUES
------------------------

Overnight trading has pushed the dollar back over the 60
US cent mark, with the kiwi buying 60.09 US cents in
early Tuesday trading. The New Zealand currency has not
seen such levels for more than five years. Business
correspondent Roger Kerr says two factors are behind the
dollar's strength. Foreign exchange investors are chasing
New Zealand's higher interest rates, and are also
favouring commodity-based currencies. Mr Kerr says it
could be argued the Reserve Bank should have cut interest
rates by half a percent last month rather than by a
quarter of a percent.

(Needless to say, several cheques in support of the cost
of this Newsletter were banked on this day :-( - BH)

CHCH HOSPITAL FACING FINANCIAL CHALLENGE

Some serious challenges lie ahead for Christchurch
Hospital as it seeks to turn around an $11.6 million
dollar on its operating expenditure. The costs of blood
products, palliative care, staffing and treatment, plus
unrealised efficiency projects are being blamed by the
DHB for the poor figures. However, it is aiming to make
$8 million savings to combat the problem. A DHB report
says adjusting clinical service levels, administrative
savings, reducing patient stays, and reducing annual
leave balances have all been targeted as savings options.
Report author Jim Magee says great effort has been
demonstrated but it has not come in time to turn around
this year's financial results. It is expected to take
effect in the next financial year.

Wednesday, 09 July
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GM CONTAMINATION REMAINS A MYSTERY
----------------------------------

The Agriculture Ministry says exactly how a crop of
Gisborne corn became contaminated with a genetically
modified organism may never be known. The corn is
contaminated with less than 0.05 percent of Bt11, a GM
corn variety approved by Food Standards Australia New
Zealand. MAF is now trying to establish whether there is
any difference between the four sweet corn fields in
question, in the hopes of determining at what stage the
contamination happened. However, spokesman Brett Sangster
says because the level of contamination was so low, it
may not be possible to establish how it happened.

ARRESTS AFTER BAY OF PLENTY SHOOT-OUT
-------------------------------------

Five Black Power members have been arrested in connection
with the gun battle in eastern Bay of Plenty. Up to 20
members of the rival Black Power and Mongrel Mob gangs
were involved in yesterday's fight at the settlement of
Taneatua. Sergeant Neil Peterson says the five gang
members were found after breaking into a building near
the scene of the shooting. They are facing trespass
charges at this stage. Three Black Power members were
treated for gunshot wounds at Whakatane Hospital. Two are
due to be released today but one suffering from more
serious injuries remains in hospital in a comfortable
condition. Sergeant Peterson says the two gangs have so
far been uncooperative. He says police do not know the
specific reason for the clash but says there is always
ongoing tension between gangs. He says while shot guns
were involved, police do not have specific information on
other types of weapons that may have been used.
Forty police officers are working on the case. A road
block is in place at the entrance of the Ruatoki Valley.
Police will also be monitoring the gangs over the coming
days.

MURDER VICTIM'S NAME RELEASED
-----------------------------

Police have released the name of the 45-year-old man
found dead on a Whangarei footpath last night as Shane
Rongopai Hoani. A police homicide inquiry was launched
after the discovery of the body. A 27-year-old sickness
beneficiary has been arrested. He appeared in court today
charged with assault and has been remanded in custody
under Section 121 of the Mental Health Act charged with
assault. He has been granted interim name suppression
until his next appearance on July 23. Police say more
charges are likely.

UNGA GUILTY OF PARTNER'S MURDER
-------------------------------

A Gisborne man has been found guilty of the murder of his
de facto partner. Patric Unga was convicted of murdering
Jessica Pardoe, whose body was found in a flat in the
town in December. Ms Pardoe had been beaten about the
head with an iron dumb bell. Unga will be sentenced in
the High Court in Gisborne on Friday.

MENINGITIS KILLS AUCKLAND TEEN
------------------------------

A 15-year-old girl has died in Auckland Hospital of
meningococcal disease. Chief Medical Officer David Sage
says staff were unable to save her life despite four
hours of sustained and determined medical intervention.
The girl was brought to hospital by ambulance in the
early hours of the morning. She had been seen at 3pm
yesterday afternoon at the Western White Cross facility
in Henderson. Her family says she had been assessed for
the possibility of meningitis, but no evidence was found
at that time and she went home.

TOLL OFFER TO BE REASSESSED
---------------------------

Tranz Rail is asking shareholders to ignore the
information it sent to them on Monday. Chairman Wayne
Walden says the assessment of Toll Holding's offer is out
of date. It has been overtaken by the renewed takeover
offer from Toll based on the agreement it has forged with
the Government. Under that agreement, the Government will
buy back and upgrade the tracks while Toll operates the
trains. Mr Walden says that means an entirely new
takeover offer and Tranz Rail is again seeking an
independent assessment of it.

INQUEST COULD BE USEFUL SAYS ASSN
---------------------------------

The Police Association believes a resumption of an
inquest into Steven Wallace's death could end up being
useful. Hamilton Coroner Gordon Matenga has decided to
reopen the case into the April 2000 killing in Waitara.
Mr Wallace was shot dead by Constable Keith Abbott during
a confrontation after Mr Wallace had embarked on a
window-smashing spree in the Taranaki town. After a
depositions hearing which lasted more than four weeks,
two JPs ruled that there was insufficient evidence to
proceed in the case against Constable Abbott. However,
Chief Justice Sian Elias later overturned that decision
and a civil prosecution, brought by Mr Wallace's family,
went to the High Court at the end of the last year for a
jury to decide whether or not Constable Abbott was guilty
of murder. The officer was acquitted last December after
the jury deliberated for three hours. Now the Hamilton
Coroner has announced he will look into police policy for
dealing with violent offenders and at the first aid given
to the Waitara man immediately after he was shot. Police
Association President Greg O'Connor says public concerns
were addressed in last year's trial and much of this
inquest will be going over old ground. He says if,
however, there are issues to be improved then maybe it is
not such a bad thing. He also says he is relieved
Constable Keith Abbott will be spared from giving
evidence at the inquest.

JURY OUT IN WATERHOUSE CASE
---------------------------

The jury is considering its verdict in the trial of a
Huntly man accused of killing his young foster son.
Forty-year-old Michael Waterhouse is charged with
murdering three year old Tamati Pokaia. Waterhouse admits
punching the child in the stomach as punishment for lying
about a bag of popcorn. The judge summed up the case this
morning. The defence argues Waterhouse was just trying to
punish the child, but the Crown claims it is obvious he
had murderous intent. It says Waterhouse admitted that he
'lost the plot', went into a rage and assaulted the
three-year-old causing massive internal injuries.

NZ PEACEKEEPERS RETURN
----------------------

Fifteen New Zealand Defence Force personnel have returned
from peacekeeping duties in Bougainville. The unarmed
Bougainville Monitoring Mission ended on 30 June, after
nearly six years of operations. The men and women touched
down at Ohakea Air Base on Wednesday afternoon after six
months in the troubled Pacific island, and friends and
family were there to greet them. A small number of
personnel who are still in Bougainville will return to
New Zealand in August.

SALMONELLA SURPRISE FOR LAMB THIEVES
------------------------------------

Someone who recently stole some lambs from a Canterbury
farm may end up getting more than the Sunday roast they
bargained for. Late last month two lambs were taken from
a Dunsandel farm just out of Christchurch - but the
thieves would not have known that they had just been
vaccinated with a salmonella immunisation injection which
remains active for several weeks. Leeston Police
Constable Chris Jones warns that the offenders may have
bitten off more than they can chew. Constable Jones says
he is not so much worried about the thieves themselves,
but the unsuspecting people the meat will have been given
to. He says Salmonella is a notifiable disease, so if the
thieves come down with a tummy-bug it will be just the
evidence the police need.

HOMELESS BYLAW NO SOLUTION
--------------------------

Auckland's City Missioner says a proposed bylaw to ban
the homeless from sleeping outside will do nothing to
ease the problem. Wellington City Council is drafting a
bylaw that would outlaw camping and sleeping outside in
public places. Diane Robertson says forcing homeless
people from parks and streets casts the problem as a
visibility issue, not a social concern. She says that if
they are moved from one park, homeless people will simply
set up in another. Ms Robertson says it would be better
to examine why homelessness happens in the first place.

WORST OF BRITOMART DELAYS OVER
------------------------------

Tranz Rail's asking for patience from Aucklanders
travelling through the new Britomart train station.
Teething problems with the new signalling system are
causing occasional delays - some have been up to an hour.
Tranz Rail spokeswoman Sue Foley says the company
acknowledges the situation is frustrating and apologises
to commuters. Ms Foley says teething problems are to be
expected with any major new transport operation, and the
company has been working hard to fix the problems. She
believes the worst is over.

AUCKLAND HIT BY INFLUENZA
-------------------------

Influenza is sweeping through the City of Sails. Weekly
figures from Auckland Regional Public Health Service show
the rate of influenza has been on the rise over the past
few weeks. Dr Lester Calder says current levels are now
as high as they have been in the past four winters, and
is higher this year than it was at the same time last
year. He says South Auckland has been hit particularly
hard, with more than 400 cases per 100,000 patients in
the last week. North and West Auckland are reporting
between 200 and 300 cases per 100,000, while central
Auckland is reporting around 100 cases. Dr Calder says
the window for getting free flu vaccines has closed, but
people should seriously consider getting immunised
against the virus.

COUNCIL ACTIONS OVER DEAD DOG 'APPALLING'

A animal protection group is calling for a change in
Porirua City Council's policy after a family pet was
discarded at a rubbish tip before the owner had a chance
to claim the body. Jason the Kelpie, well-known in Titahi
Bay for protecting his owner Lisa Toa from a herd of
angry cattle, was killed after being hit by a vehicle on
Monday and brought into the council's animal control unit
by a truck driver. Jason's body was brought in at 8am but
by the time Ms Toa called in the afternoon, he had been
thrown into a landfill. Vivienne Gordon, from the Animal
SOS Trust that homed Jason in the first place, says the
council needs to give animal owners at least 24 hours to
claim their pet. Ms Gordon says Ms Toa still does not
have Jason's body and he will be denied his basic right
to a decent burial.

(A reality check is needed here. The animal did not have
a current licence tag, and thus there was no way to
contact a registered owner. The carcass of an animal hit
by a motor vehicle is likely to pose a health risk, and
should be disposed of expeditiously. If the owner can be
traced, well and good. If not, then it seems the council
did exactly the right thing. - BH)

Thursday, 10 July
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UPHILL BATTLE IN GANG INVESTIGATION
-----------------------------------

An expert in gang culture believes police face an uphill
battle in bringing anyone involved in the Taneatua shoot-
out to justice. Several carloads of rival Black Power and
Mongrel Mob gang members took part in Tuesday's gunfight
near the eastern Bay of Plenty town. Members of the
public fled for the lives after getting caught up in the
incident. An armed cordon remains in force at the eastern
Bay of Plenty town. Canterbury University Sociologist
Greg Newbold says police will need substantial
independent witness reports or scientific evidence to be
in a position to press charges. He says there is no way
gang members will 'squeal' to police even if it is
against a rival gang. Sergeant Neil Peterson says gang
members are being typically unreliable in giving
evidence, saying their version of events is constantly
changing. However, he says police are making progress,
with enough independent witness reports and scientific
evidence to build up a good picture.

BELLS INVESTIGATED AFTER TRAIN CRASH
------------------------------------

Tranz Rail is investigating claims that warning bells at
a fatal level crossing were faulty. A train ploughed into
a car at the crossing at Eltham in Taranaki yesterday.
The car's driver was killed, and turned out to be the
train driver's partner. Tranz Rail says it is aware of
reports the warning bells were often set off by shunting
further down the line. It is understood many residents
knew about the problem and would often drive over the
crossing regardless of the bells. But a Tranz Rail
spokeswoman says she has not heard of any complaints from
locals on this matter. The train driver has been stood
down from duty and is receiving counselling.

DISPENSING REGIME UPSETS PHARMACISTS
------------------------------------

Pharmac has decided to adopt the controversial three-
month dispensing regime. From October, patients will get
a three-month supply of medication when they visit their
pharmacist. This will apply for 71 percent of
prescriptions. The move is likely to raise the ire of
pharmacists, who will miss out on two month's worth of
dispensing fees. Pharmac says their decision will put
back $132 million back into the District Health Board
coffers over the next five years. But Pharmacists are
furious that Pharmac has opted for three month
dispensing. Pharmacists say their incomes will be
slashed, on average, by $60,000 a year. Pharmacy Guild
President Richard Heslop says it will put many of their
members out of business, as some have debt levels which
will become impossible to manage. But Pharmac Chief
Executive Wayne McNee says pharmacists will benefit from
having their workload lessened. He says a lot of the
issues raised by Pharmacists have been taken on board,
including the impact on patients and any risks around the
original proposal. Wayne McNee says prescribers will have
flexibility to determine if patients need to have
medication dispensed more regularly. Pharmacists says
they are worried for the safety of patients who will
carry large quantities of drugs. But Pharmac Chief
Executive Wayne McNee says dangerous drugs are not among
the 71 percent of prescriptions catered for in this
policy.

(Since I am on two different long term medications I
welcome the legislation, since it cuts my dispensing
charges by two thirds. On the other hand, I understand
that small rural pharmacies my well be hit hard by the
drop in revenue. - BH)

FIELD TEST FOR GM ONIONS
------------------------

The public is likely to some say on a new Crop and Food
Research application to field test genetically modified
onions. The Crown Research Institute has applied for
permission from the Environmental Risk Management
Authority. ERMA Chief Executive Baz Walker says it is the
first application for a field trial in about three years.
He says the application has been lodged and has to go
through due process, which will include the public being
given a chance to see it and make comments on it. The GM
onions will have a herbicide-resistant gene, and if
approved, will be planted on land managed by Crop and
Food around Lincoln. ERMA is calling for public
submissions, with a deadline of August 20. Any hearing
into the application is likely to be held in September or
October.

ANGRY DRIVER WIELDS MACHETE
---------------------------

Police are investigating a case of road rage in
Wellington, involving a machete. The incident happened
after a man driving a white van and towing another
vehicle was overtaken on double yellow lines in Newtown.
Both vehicles had to stop a short time later at traffic
lights. Police say the driver of the overtaking car got
out and began waving a large, rusty machete. After a
short struggle, the machete was taken off him and he
drove off. He is described as a Caucasian, aged 35 to 45
and of solid build.

DRUG 'ALTERNATIVES' CONCERN POLICE
----------------------------------

Wellington Police say they are concerned about the sale
of a range of pills billed as offering an alternative to
the hard drug high of the dance party scene. The manager
of one of Wellington's CityStop convenience stores has
defended his sale of the pills saying he has put an R18
restriction on them and staff are instructed to point out
side-effects to purchasers. However Detective Senior
Sergeant Paul Berry from the Organised Crime Unit says he
is concerned about the pills, given the problems
experienced locally with methamphetamine. He says the
sale of the alternatives sends mixed messages about drugs
to young people.

COUNCIL DENIES SLUM CLAIM
-------------------------

Auckland City Council is rejecting claims it wants to
turn a park into high-rise slums. Housing activists say
the city's redevelopment plan for Talbot Park in Glen
Innes is a recipe for crime-ridden ghettoes. Council
Environmental Planning spokeswoman Penny Pirrit says
zoning laws in that area mean buildings must not be
higher than three storeys. She says the rules ensure
visual and acoustic privacy, noise controls and take
aesthetics into account. Penny Pirrit says urban design
controls have been integrated into the development.

HUNG JURY IN WATERHOUSE CASE
----------------------------

The jury was unable to reach a verdict in the trial of a
Huntly man charged with murdering his three-year-old
foster son. Michael Waterhouse is charged with killing
Tamiti Pokaia in April last year. The jury was unable to
reach a verdict in the trial of a Huntly man charged with
murdering his three-year-old foster son. Michael
Waterhouse is charged with killing Tamiti Pokaia in April
last year. Jurors had to decide if Waterhouse had
murderous intent when he punched the child in the
stomach. The defence argued that it was a case of
manslaughter rather than murder. A jury in the High Court
at Hamilton deliberated for nine-and-a-half hours before
being discharged by the judge late last night. Justice
Nicholson said there was no realistic prospect of the
jury reaching a unanimous verdict. A date for a retrial
will be set on July 24.

SECURITY GUARD SLAMS POLICE RESPONSE
------------------------------------

Auckland police have confirmed they received repeated
calls from a security guard chasing a stolen car last
night. They also confirm the car drove along a footpath
in Ponsonby Road and another log reports the robbery of
an Avondale service station. The security guard is
furious he was told there were no police cars available
to help as he followed the speeding car for 22 minutes
last night. He phoned Newstalk ZB while the incident was
underway and spoke to on-air host Willie Lose about what
was happening. The guard says he was still being told
there were no police available even as they sped past a
police booze bus. The stolen car and its five occupants
have still not been apprehended. Auckland police
spokesman Superintendent John Lyall told Newstalk ZB's
Tim Dower programme that two units were pulled from other
incidents in order to deal with the chase. However, he
says a moving offender is very difficult to catch up
with, particularly when they are driving at high speed
down a motorway, because of dangers to other road users.
He says with the offenders reportedly speeding at 175kmh
it would have been touch and go whether the police
continued the chase. Superintendent Lyall says police
were very busy that night, but he could not comment on
whether officers should be pulled off other operations -
such as booze buses - to deal with what he termed an
'incident spike'. He says a lot of inquiry work has been
carried out by police at Avondale, where security video
footage of the offenders has been viewed. He says the
security guard is also to be interviewed again.
Meanwhile, a spokeswoman for Police Minister George
Hawkins says the Minister would be concerned if the
security guard's complaints proved to be correct. She
says while the man's first port of call should be
Auckland police, he would be welcome to express his
concerns in writing to the Minister. George Hawkins is
currently overseas.

ST JOHN MAY CHANGE SIREN PROTOCOLS
----------------------------------

St John says its protocol regarding ambulance sirens may
well be revised following a pedestrian death. A Northland
man was killed when an ambulance struck him while racing
to an emergency call-out. In keeping with procedure, the
vehicle's flashing lights were on, but the siren was not
activated. St John Northland manager Donna Austin says it
appears the man was walking in the traffic lane. She says
at this stage, no procedures appear to have been breached
but she says investigation results may led to a review of
siren policy.

ECONOMY ATTRACTIVE TO TOUR OPERATORS
------------------------------------

Cruise company P&O says the healthy New Zealand economy
is a definite attraction for tour operators in the
Pacific region. P&O has added a third ship, the Jubilee,
to its Australasian fleet. The Jubilee, from the US-based
Carnival fleet, will join the Pacific Sky and Pacific
Princess to offer South Pacific cruises. One of the
company's flagship vessels, the Star Princess, will also
do a summer season around New Zealand. P&O spokesman
Gavin Smith says stable economic and political conditions
in New Zealand are helping travel industry growth. The
strengthening kiwi dollar and interest rate levels are
also factors. He says New Zealand remains one of the
world's most popular destinations and the company expects
to more than double the number of New Zealanders sailing
the Pacific to 10,000 annually. The Jubilee, which will
be the largest cruise ship to be based in Australasia,
will be renamed and will undergo a multi-million dollar
refit before commencing cruises from Australasia in
October 2004. The 47,262-ton vessel can carry 1,900
passengers.

TRIAL DATE SET FOR BLACKADDER CASE
----------------------------------

A trial date has been set for the father of former All
Black captain Todd Blackadder who has entered not guilty
pleas to charges arising from a domestic dispute in
Christchurch earlier this year. Fifty-five-year-old Ross
Thomas Blackadder was originally charged with assaulting
Geoffrey Hern in March. He has since been charged with
threatening to kill and assaulting a female after a
complaint made by his wife. The trial is scheduled to
take place in November.

Friday, 11 July
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHARGES OVER FINANCIAL DISCREPANCIES
------------------------------------

A man has appeared in the Christchurch District Court on
six charges relating to financial discrepancies in the
accounts of the Air New Zealand Staff Welfare Society.
Ken Smythe has been remanded on bail pending further
police inquiries. He is a former member of Air New
Zealand's staff in Christchurch and an officer of the
welfare society. Discrepancies in the accounts came to
light during a recent audit and police were called in.
Society chairman John Mounce says discrepancies in the
accounts go back several years. He says the society is
entirely separate from Air New Zealand.

COUNCIL TO MEET OVER CITY'S HOMELESS
------------------------------------

Wellington's mayor hopes a meeting next week will come up
with ways of dealing with the capital's homeless. The
council has been working on a bylaw for the last nine
months to deal with problems of vagrants, including
substance and alcohol abusers. It has nothing to do with
the death on the streets of the 'bucket man' Robert
Jones, a familiar personality to many Wellingtonians. The
61-year-old lived rough on Tinakori Hill and died near
his bush campsite close to the intersection of Grant and
Park streets earlier this month. Kerry Prendergast says
the council does not want a solution that penalises a lot
more people than just the few problem cases. She says it
is a small problem, replicated in all cities, but one the
council wants to work on with other agencies. The project
involves the city council, police, and a number of social
agencies and Ms Prendergast says the council wants them
to work together to deal with what she sees as a shared
problem.

(I believe that the council backed away from their plans
after it became apparent that they were not in tune with
the city's thinking - BH)

DIFFICULTIES OF MENINGITIS ACKNOWLEDGED
---------------------------------------

The Health Ministry is defending doctors having
difficulty recognising the symptoms of meningococcal
disease. Four people have died from the illness in the
past fortnight. At least two of those visited a doctor
with flu-like symptoms and were sent home. Director-
General of Public Health Colin Tukuitonga says it is
virtually impossible to tell the difference between the
poisoning of the blood which happens in the early stages
of the disease and the flu. He says even the best-trained
medical professionals are going to miss the odd case.

WINTER POWER TASKFORCE DISBANDS
-------------------------------

In proof that the power crisis is truly over, the Winter
Power Taskforce is no more. The body formed in late March
and headed by Dr Patrick Strange has been disbanded. Dr
Strange is praising the public response to the
Taskforce's 10 percent savings campaign. He says that,
coupled with timely rain and improved thermal fuel
stocks, means the possibility of power shortages this
winter is extremely small.

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING DAY CELEBRATED
---------------------------------

Too busy to read to this news story? Well perhaps it is
time to slow down. Today is Absolutely Nothing Day.
People are being encouraged to take 15 minutes out of
their day to relax and give their minds a break. Mental
Health Foundation chief executive Alison Taylor says if
possible take longer, but a quarter of an hour is most
likely to be seen as reasonable by bosses. She says it is
long enough to put one's mind at ease and do something
relaxing.

CANCER NEEDS SHOWN IN MORTALITY STUDY
-------------------------------------

The Cancer Society is renewing its call for a cancer
control programme. The report carried out by the Ministry
of Health, Otago and Victoria universities, shows
European New Zealanders live longer and are in better
health than Maori and Pacific Islanders. Dr Peter Dady
says it is disturbing to see rates of some cancers
skyrocketing among non-European groups. He believes
lifestyle issues such as poor diet and smoking are part
of the reason. He says Maori women smoke more than Pakeha
and Pacific Islanders, which explains why their lung
cancer rate is five times greater than female Europeans.
Dr Dady believes link between obesity and cancer may also
explain high rates of bowel cancer. The Cancer Society
believes the study highlights the need for a national
screening programme that is reliable, affordable and easy
to access.

MAN RELEASED ON ASSAULT CHARGE
------------------------------

A man accused of hitting a work mate in the head with the
butt of a rifle has been released. Police were called to
a farm on the Wairarapa Coast on Thursday morning, after
reports a man had fired a .22 rifle during a dispute. The
Armed Offenders Squad cordoned off the area, but the man
gave himself up after allegedly stashing the gun. Police
say the man has been charged with assault using a weapon,
but has not yet been charged with firing the gun. The man
will appear in the Masterton District Court on Wednesday.

WOMAN FALLS FROM APARTMENT BALCONY
----------------------------------

Police are investigating how a woman fell from an
apartment building on the Auckland waterfront. Officers
were called by ambulance staff to the apartment complex
on Princes Wharf, where the woman had fallen from a
balcony late last night. She has been taken to Auckland
Hospital with serious injuries.

RADIOTHERAPY BREAKTHROUGH WITH BREAST CANCER

A breast cancer trial has revealed radiotherapy can stop
the recurrence of pre-cancer cells. The trial, involving
1700 women from New Zealand, Australia and the UK,
focuses on ductal carcinoma in situ or DCIS. It is a pre-
cancerous cell, and if extensive can warrant a
mastectomy. DCIS is the most common type of non-invasive
breast cancer in women, and accounts for nearly 25
percent of all breast cancer diagnoses. Roughly 20 to 30
percent of breast cancers detected by mammography are
carcinoma in situ. With DCIS, the cancer cells are
confined to milk ducts in the breast and have not spread
into the fatty breast tissue or to any other part of the
body (such as the lymph nodes). In the trial,
radiotherapy prevented a recurrence of DCIS by 60
percent. Breast Cancer Foundation spokeswoman Belinda
Scott says until now, many doctors have been reluctant to
use radiotherapy. She says the treatment is prolonged,
tiring and causes skin irritations on the breast, but Dr
Scott hopes specialists will now see the benefits.

THE FINANCIAL PAGE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Date: 10 July 2003           Brian Dooley
                             Wellington  New Zealand

CURRENCIES
~~~~~~~~~~
The currency codes given below conform to ISO 4217, which
can be found at http://www.xe.net/currency/iso_4217.htm.

The rates given are for telegraphic transfer.

To Buy NZD 1.00

USD  0.5942
AUD  0.9006
GBP  0.3629
JPY  70.17
CAD  0.8117
EUR  0.5248
HKD  4.6456
SGD  1.0404
ZAR  4.5511
CHF  0.8110

INTEREST RATES (%)
Instead, visit the website listed below, where
you can make changes as required.