Subject: 27 October, 2008
----- WYSIWYG NEWS ------------------------------
Copyright, Brian Harmer.

Based on my theory of sunshine as a producer of happiness, I
ought to be feeling pretty miserable, but somehow I'm not.
With the exception of Sunday last (when we did the trip to
Wanganui described in the previous issue), there has been no
day (until today) without rain and wind. Grey, and bleak,
albeit with the occasional narrow shaft of bright sunshine.
One of the season's first cruise ships came on Monday, and out
at the harbour mouth, its vast white hull was picked out like
some luminous space craft arriving on a new planet. I suspect
most of the passengers elected to stay aboard rather than
brave the struggle along the uneven footpaths of Jervois Quay
into spiteful rain flung by a stiff Southerly. Nevertheless
she was a fine sight, moored between the container vessels and
the interisland ferries.
Today, which is the Labour Day holiday in New Zealand, is fine
at last, but with a fairly stiff cold Northerly to dispel any
illusion that summer is yet here. Mary and I went over the
hill to Wainuiomata and thence down the coast road to the sea,
since Mary needed some driftwood for artistic purposes. I
haven't had such a clear view of the Seaward Kaikouras for a
very long time. A measurement on Google Earth shows those
lofty peaks to be 150 km from the beach where we sat. With the
high peaks covered in snow from the preceding weeks of cold
weather, they were truly spectacular against the deep blue of
the Cook Strait and the Pacific Ocean. Close to the steeply
shelving stony beach, the wind whipped  great sheets of spray
from the tops of the thundering surf and hurled it Southward
at high speed. To the Western end of the beach, sheep were
grazing on the salt laden grass around the mouth of
Wainuiomata River, and as we sat on our rug in a sheltered
spot below the road, I saw a dog bounding towards the sheep.
It was a woolly hearthrug of a dog, of indeterminate breed,
clearly not a farm dog with any legitimate purpose other than
to harass the animals. A family group which had turned this
stupid dog loose were meandering along the beach oblivious to
the panic in the flock by their pet, and without thinking
about it I let out a bellow that I haven't used since parade
ground days as Squadron Warrant Officer in the Air Training
Corps at school. The owner became aware of the problem and
sprinted after the errant hound, which, to its credit,
responded to his call. With the dog properly on its leash as
it should have been to begin with, the pair slunk back down to
the beach. They were lucky , I think, that it was me and not
the owner of the sheep who saw the incident, or the dog would
have been shot out of hand, and no court in the country would
have upheld any complaint.
We are now in the last two weeks leading up to the election
(in NZ) and I am daily more disappointed in the conduct of
most candidates. I shall just try to ignore everything until
the election day comes, and then try to figure out how to live
with whatever the result is. I have to say that there are no
foregone conclusions here, and that is surprising me.

----
Any text above this point, and all subsequent material in
parentheses, and concluded with the initials "BH" is the
personal opinion of Brian Harmer as editor of this newsletter,
or occasionally "GS" will indicate an opinion from our
editorial assistant. In all cases they are honest expressions
of personal opinion, and are not presented as fact.

All news items (except where noted otherwise) are reproduced
by kind permission of copyright owner, Newstalk ZB News. All
copyright in the news items reproduced remains the property of
The Radio Network Limited.
Sponsorship this week is courtesy of Chip Chenoweth, president
of Prater's Foods Inc, Texas. Many thanks Chip.
----
On with the News.

Monday, 20 October 2008
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

REPORT PUTS "TOO MUCH EMPHASIS" ON MARRIAGE

Relationship Services says the importance of marriage is being
overstated. It comes after new figures suggest family
breakdowns and decreasing marriage rates cost taxpayers an
estimated one billion dollars a year. Relationship Services
says the report by the New Zealand Institute of Economic
Research puts too much emphases on marriage. The counselling
service says peoples' commitment to a relationship is not
dependent on their marital status. National practice manager
Cary Hayward says the making any relationship work for the
long haul is hard and people should feel confident to seek
help if they strike problems.

(While I disagree vigorously with Relationship Services on
this, I recognise that both positions are likely to bee
entrenched. I think it is impossible to over-emphasise the
value of a good marriage - BH)

CAMERA FINDS NEW MARINE LIFE
----------------------------

There is excitement about the discovery of a whole range of
unknown marine species off the Northland coast. The Department
of Conservation has been using a remote-operated camera in the
Poor Knights Marine Reserve. It can survey depths of up to 300
metres. Marine scientist Dr Debbie Freeman says very little is
known about New Zealand marine life at depths below 40 metres
so the technology opens a new frontier. She says they have
found a tropical fish never seen before in New Zealand waters,
a new sea slug, and other sponges and organisms which they
have no idea what they are.

FIRE AT WELLINGTON INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

Wellington International Airport's terminal has been evacuated
due to a fire. A Fire Service spokesman says the fire started
just after 2pm on an escalator near the Qantas Lounge. He says
six appliances are at the scene, although the fire has been
brought under control. Special devices have been brought in to
hunt out additional hotspots. An airport spokesman says
flights have been delayed.

GREENS PICK LABOUR AS PREFERRED PARTNER
---------------------------------------

The Green Party says Labour is its preferred coalition
partner, because its policies are more aligned with its own.
However the Greens have not completely ruled out working with
National. Co-leader Jeanette Fitzsimons says the party's
analysis shows it that on the whole, National would take New
Zealand in the wrong direction. She says many of its policies
head off down a dead end street. "This means that we can not
form a government with National, or support them on confidence
and supply, although we could work with them in areas where we
have common ground." Ms Fitzsimons says Labour also seems to
be heading off in the wrong direction in some areas, while in
others they are on the right track. "Whether we could form a
government with them would depend on reaching a policy
agreement that advanced green policies on a number of fronts."
The party's other co-leader Russel Norman says the Greens are
a strong and independent voice. "We don't exist to prop up
anyone else's government."

(On Saturday, Peter Dunne who is a cabinet minister in the
present Labour-led government has announced that he (and his
party) will no longer support Labour and instead will support
National next time round. I have never warmed to Mr Dunne,
though I believe him to be a conscientious electorate MP.
However, this latest piece of "waka-jumping" brings back ugly
memories of the disastrous Alamein Kopu. - BH)

NATS PROMISE MORE POLICE OFFICERS
---------------------------------

National is promising to increase police numbers and put more
new officers on the front line. Leader John Key says National
will add an extra 220 officers to the 1,000 more currently
promised by the Government. He is also promising to boost the
number of serving police staff in South Auckland, saying 300
extra officers will be assigned there by the end of 2010.
National says the policy would cost $18.5 million a year.

(It will be a good trick if they can do it. I believe that the
shortage of numbers at present is not due to the unwillingness
of the police to recruit. Rather, there is a shortage of
suitable qualified people willing to take on the task of being
involved in everyone else at their worst. - BH)

PM'S NON-SPENDING "A SMART MOVE"
--------------------------------

The Listener's political columnist, Jane Clifton, believes the
Prime Minister made a smart move by promising Labour will make
no more big spending policy announcements before election day.
Ms Clifton says the government was expected to promise more in
the childcare area, but the current economic crisis has
prompted her to say 'there is no more money, we can't do it.'
"It's pretty clever politics I think to say, OK, we're going
to be really responsible, whereas National is likely to have
more spending in the policies it announces in the coming
weeks." Ms Clifton also says National leader John Key's call
for a bi-partisan approach to the economic crisis was worth a
try. "Funnily enough, Michael Cullen is not buying it. His
view is 'thanks for the advice sonny, but run along we're
managing it.'" National wants to work with the Government on
the $150 billion deposit guarantee scheme and is particularly
keen to see it follow Australia's lead by including cover for
wholesale lending.

CLARK TURNING FOCUS TO LEADERSHIP
---------------------------------

Labour leader Helen Clark is turning the focus of her party's
election campaign towards who is best to lead New Zealand
through the financial crisis. Miss Clark says that during the
campaign, Labour will not announce any more significant
spending initiatives. She says instead, she is looking at an
economic stimulus package, which will come in the first 40
days in office if Labour is re-elected. She says strong
leadership is becoming increasingly important. "It is not a
time for someone with the learner wheels on, it's a time for
the people who have proven that they can lead, that they do
have strength of purpose, consistency to get on and do the
job." Miss Clark suggests a change to a new leader no longer
seems as interesting as it might have even a few weeks ago.

NATS WANT ACTION OVER WHOLESALE GUARANTEE

National is adamant wholesale deposits must be covered by the
bank deposit guarantee scheme as soon as possible. Under the
scheme, the Crown guarantees retail bank deposits up to a
total $150 billion but has not gone as far as the Australian
Government, which also guarantees wholesale deposits (the
money lent to Australian banks by foreign banks). National
leader John Key wants a bi-partisan approach from Labour. "I'm
concerned that officials will be distracted by the political
process. I'm concerned that the Australians themselves might
not be sure about what's happening because of the political
uncertainty in New Zealand because of the election." Mr Key
says not only do the Reserve Bank and Treasury believe the
issue should be handled swiftly, but trading banks and other
stakeholders also want action. Prime Minister Helen Clark says
National is being briefed on developments. "Michael Cullen has
been keeping Bill English fully abreast of the work that's
being done by the Reserve Bank and Treasury to look at this
issue."

MARRIAGE BREAKUPS COSTLY
------------------------

Marriage breakups are costing taxpayers at least $1 billion a
year according to a lobby group. New Zealand Institute of
Economic Research (NZIER) has completed a report commissioned
by Family First entitled "The Value of Family - Fiscal
Benefits of Marriage and Reducing Family Breakdown in New
Zealand." It found that over the past decade, family breakups
have cost taxpayers approximately $8 billion. Family First
spokesman Bob McCoskrie says the study shows that the decline
of marriage, the high teenage fertility rate and the rate of
solo parenthood is not just a moral or social concern but
should also be of concern to government and policy makers. Mr
McCoskrie says more must be done to strengthen marriages and
help family succeed. He claims the investment will pay for
itself. ?The report states that even a small reduction in
family breakdown and increases in marriage rates could provide
significant savings for taxpayers. ?The focus has been on
?child poverty? but this misses the real issue ? that is,
poverty among families with children, and the way that
divorce, unwed childbearing, teenage pregnancy and sole
parenting contributes to that poverty. For example, sole
parents have the lowest average living standards of all
economic family unit types.? Senior economist Dr Patrick Nolan
says he took quite a moderate approach to the figures. He says
the $1 billion sum reflects spending on welfare benefits,
Working for Families tax credits, justice and health. He says
it is based on assumptions about the relationship between
family breakdown and poverty.

Tuesday, 21 October 2008
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

STOLEN MEDALS BACK ON DISPLAY
-----------------------------

The Waiouru Army Museum's stolen war medals are back on public
display. The 96 medals, including nine Victoria Crosses, were
returned to the museum in a celebration which started at 7am.
They were taken in a smash-and-grab in December and have been
in police custody since their return in February. During the
ceremony Detective Senior Sergeant Chris Bensemann was awarded
a special commendation for the Chief of Army for the police's
efforts in restoring the military honours. Mr Bensemann says
he is very honoured and it is a day that he is proud to be a
detective. Two men were last week charged over the medal
burglary.

BNZ RECORDS $657 MILLION PROFIT
-------------------------------

BNZ has announced an after tax profit of $657 million for the
year ending September, a nine percent increase on 2007. Chief
executive Andrew Thorburn says the bank is well positioned in
the current challenging economic environment. He says the BNZ
has a conservative approach to lending and that means it has a
quality loans book. Mr Thorburn says lending volumes continue
to be strong, although they are slowing from the historical
highs of recent years.

NATIONAL WILL NOT FLOAT KIWIBANK
--------------------------------

National has responded with a firm no to New Zealand First's
proposal to float Kiwibank on the stock exchange. Winston
Peters is proposing the bank be opened up to investment,
restricted solely to New Zealanders. National Leader John Key
says National will not sell Kiwibank. He says asset sales are
off National's agenda until 2011 Mr Key also believes it would
be impractical to adopt Mr Peters other proposal, that
Kiwibank pick up all the government's business, as he does not
know if it has the capability to do that. Progressive MP Jim
Anderton, who fought to see Kiwibank established, is aghast at
the proposal. He says selling Kiwibank would destroy it.

PIG CELL TRIAL COULD HELP DIABETES SUFFERERS

Type 1 diabetes sufferers could have an alternative to
injecting themselves with insulin, if an approved trial is
successful. The Ministry of Health has agreed to let Living
Cell Technologies carry out a trial where eight patients will
receive insulin producing cells from pigs. Living Cell
Technologies medical director Professor Bob Elliot says the
pigs are specially bred in ultra clean conditions, and the
cells will be coated with a material to make sure they are not
rejected by the body. He says the cells will be injected into
the tummy cavity where they will set up shop and produce
insulin similar to how a pancreas would without diabetes.
Professor Elliot hopes it will make a huge difference to
sufferers, who can hopefully reduce the amount of insulin they
would usually inject into themselves. He says many sufferers
are living on a knife-edge, not knowing where their levels
will be each hour. Professor Elliot hopes the trial could
begin after Christmas.

INFLATION AT 18 YEAR HIGH
-------------------------

The Consumer Price Index, which is a measure of the price of
goods and services purchased by households, rose 1.5 percent
in the September quarter bringing annual inflation to 5.1
percent for the quarter. The Reserve Bank aims to keep
inflation between one and three percent over the medium term.
The increase is the highest annual increase since the year to
the June 1990 quarter. The transport group made the most
significant contribution to the annual increase, rising 11.3
percent. Higher prices for petrol (up 29.3 percent) accounted
for just over a quarter of the rise. If petrol prices had
remained unchanged from the September 2007 quarter to the
September 2008 quarter, the CPI would have risen 3.7 percent.
Grocery food also recorded a significant increase of 12
percent, housing and household utilities were up 4.67. For the
September quarter, food prices increased 3.7 percent. The main
driver was an increase in vegetables prices (up 20.0 percent),
as a result of unusually wet weather. Prices for the housing
and household utilities group were up 1.4 percent, with the
most significant contribution coming from local authority
rates and payments (up 4.7 percent). The transport group
increased 2.0 percent, mainly due to higher prices for petrol
(up 4.6 percent), which were offset by lower prices for
second-hand cars (down 8.0 percent).

GLOBAL TURMOIL BITES STH ISLAND BUSINESSES

A new survey shows worldwide upheaval in financial markets has
eroded significant value from South Island business. The
Deloitte's South Island index, which tracks the progress of 30
South Island listed companies, has recorded a 15.2 percent
decrease in the third quarter of this year. In contrast the
NZX50 was down 3.3 percent. Deloitte's spokesman Paul Munro
says September proved to be a particularly challenging month
and the decline means significant value has been taken off the
shares of South Island companies. "Overall, the Index's value
decreased by $676 million to a total market capitalisation of
$3.78 billion." Mr Munro says until now, the South Island has
proved to be relatively well-insulated against tightening
market conditions but the resilience gave way in the past
quarter. He says it is a tricky and unpredictable market and
the volatility and uncertainty has started to bite. ?The
nervousness that has swept through the market should provide
the catalyst for companies to undertake sensible planning in
areas such as the management of cash flow, liquidity, and
debt/equity positions. There's no better time than now to put
some effort into getting this right.? Despite the reduction in
the South Island index, 53 percent of the companies recorded
an increase in their market capitalisation during the quarter.
In previous quarters, the declines were mainly being felt by
the smaller companies but in the past quarter the larger
companies such as PGG Wrightson, Pike River Coal and NZ
Farming Systems Uruguay have felt the heat. "Their relative
significance in the South Island Index has meant their
declines in market capitalisation have had a major impact.?
Notable percentage increases in market capitalisation were
achieved by Pacific Edge Biotechnology (+63% in the quarter),
Connexionz (+50%), Apple Fields (+38%), and Scott Technology
(+29%). Homeware company Smiths City (+25%) also had a
positive quarter, bucking speculation about pain being felt at
the retail counter. "As with the second quarter of 2008, five
of the eight South Island sectors experienced declines in Q3.
Primary (-30.5%) and technology (-16.1%) led the falls, while
the best performed was the port sector (+3.5%). "With a 1%
increase in market capitalisation, Ryman Healthcare enjoyed
the largest increase in dollar terms and remained the South
Island's largest listed company ($805.0m) as at 30 September
2008. It was followed by PGG Wrightson ($462.9m) and new
entrant Pike River Coal ($431.5m)."

HOMEOWNERS ANGRY ABOUT CHARGES
------------------------------

The Banking Ombudsman is looking into the fees banks charge
when customers want to pay off their fixed mortgage early.
There has been a flurry of complaints over the charges in the
past month. It is the first time in several years the issue
has been raised with such vigour. Deputy Banking Ombudsman
Susan Taylor says the complaints cover a range of issues.
"People have been taken aback by the size of the fee and are
questioning how it has been calculated. Some of the
complainants have been saying that they only found out on the
day of settlement what exactly they were going to be charged."
Ms Taylor says the banks' calculation processes and disclosure
policies are being investigated. But better news for
homeowners is likely later in the week. Economists are tipping
the Reserve Bank will cut the official cash rate by one
percent on Thursday, which should bring down mortgage rates
further. The OCR is currently 7.5 percent. ANZ's Chief
Economist Cameron Bagrie says a substantial cut is needed to
help moderate the flow-on effects of the carnage in
international financial markets. "While it's encouraging the
Reserve Bank is cutting the official cash rate, in New
Zealand, that's going to pull the rates down, it's going to be
partially offset by higher international funding costs. So,
it's good news to households, but it's certainly not the full
story." Mr Bagrie says an OCR of 6.5 percent is still too high
and there is plenty of scope for further substantial cuts.

PRIVATE WORKPLACE SUPER SCHEMES THREATENED

A retirement policy specialist fears private workplace
superannuation schemes outside KiwiSaver are in danger of
becoming extinct. Michael Littlewood from Auckland University
says research shows 75 percent of employers operating super
schemes would in retrospect not start one again and the
sentiment seems to be increasing due in part to KiwiSaver. Mr
Littlewood says the government is effectively setting the
rules as to what employers should provide and so employers are
asking what competitive advantage is gained by doing something
different. He says in regard to KiwiSaver, employers are
tiring of the undue clumsiness of the scheme and the constant
changes taking place. He fears that further changes to the
scheme under a new or revised government might cause "terrible
harm" to employers' confidence in workplace superannuation. Mr
Littlewood says there is a risk confidence will be undermined
and infrastructure supporting workplace superannuation outside
KiwiSaver will disappear. "If this happens, it could take a
minimum of five to ten years before enthusiasm returns, given
that a stable economic environment eventually prevails. That
is unlikely at the moment, and we could see a completely new
superannuation scene in the future as one that may not cater
for retirement savers like those currently in existence do
now." Mr Littlewood says superannuation is particularly ill-
suited to the kind of politicised treatment it is currently
attracting and New Zealand should have learned from the
"superannuation mess" of the 1975-1993 period in preventing
the subject being haggled over to score political points. He
is calling on political parties to de-politicise
superannuation. "Superannuation is one of New Zealand's most
important pieces of social and fiscal policy and in this
current climate of uncertainty, the issue has to be considered
out of the political limelight in an apolitical and rational
way." Private superannuation schemes cater for 290,000 current
and retired workers with $14.2 billion in assets.

Wednesday, 22 October 2008
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RETAINING MAORI SEATS KEY FOR MAORI PARTY

The Maori Party has today left National in no doubt that the
retention of the Maori seats in Parliament is the bottom line
for any coalition deal. National has signalled it wants to
abolish the seats. The Maori Party has released a policy
priority statement saying the seats will stay as long as Maori
want them to and that they want them entrenched. Entrenchment
means that it would take 75 percent of Parliament to vote for
their abolition. The Maori Party wants the billion dollar
spending cap on Treaty settlements to be abolished and the
Foreshore and Seabed Act scrapped. It also wants compulsory
heritage studies to be taught in schools and immigrants to
complete a course in the history of the country. National
seems prepared to possibly remove the fiscal cap on Treaty
settlements. Leader John Key says it is important there is
enough money to make sure claims are settled on a relatively
fair basis. Mr Key says his understanding is possible to
achieve the bulk of settlements without going beyond the cap,
but it is something National would have to look at.

NEW PRESCHOOLS FOR SOUTH AUCKLAND
---------------------------------

The Government has announced $9 million of spending over the
next two years for nine new early childhood education centres
in South Auckland. The centres will be built on existing
school sites. Education Minister Chris Carter says they will
provide places for up to 450 children currently not
participating in any pre-school education. He says early
childhood education participation rates are lower in the
Counties Manukau region than in any other part of the country.

CLAIMS OF MASSIVE OIL DISCOVERY "MISLEADING"

Reports of a massive oil discovery in the East Coast Basin are
being described as misleading. Canadian oil explorer Trans-
Orient Petroleum believes there are 12.6 billion barrels of
oil in the Waipawa and Whangai Shales. It intends to start
drilling late next year. The Petroleum Exploration and
Production Association says the assessment of the prospect is
an estimate of potential and not a discovery of oil. It says
while there is potential, there is no guarantee that amount of
oil is underground. The association says the only way of
confirming there is oil is to drill a well.

(Trans-Orient have reportedly been in trouble before for
exaggerated claims. We shall have to reserve judgement on this
one. There is plenty of scepticism in the industry. - BH)

NATIONAL MP "REGRETS" REMARKS ABOUT WORKERS

National's immigration spokesman Lockwood Smith says he
regrets remarks about Asian and Pacific Island workers. Dr
Smith says he was taken out of context when he said Asian
workers are more productive because they have small hands and
some Pacific Islanders need to be taught how to use toilets
and showers. Dr Smith made the comments while campaigning in
Blenheim, where he was speaking about expanding the Recognised
Seasonal Employer Scheme to include workers from Asia. He says
he was simply reporting strong concerns voiced to him by many
employers. National leader John Key says Dr Smith understands
his comments could be considered offensive. "I think it is
possible the statements he made yesterday could be offensive
and I think it's totally appropriate for him to apologise this
morning." Mr Key believes voters will look at the context of
the event, the comments made by Dr Smith and the apology he
has given.

HOUSING MARKET STILL GOING DOWN
-------------------------------

A real estate company expects the housing market to continue
to slide due to the uncertainty of the global credit
situation. Figures released by Harcourts show sales across New
Zealand are down by 11 to 15 percent for September but in
Auckland, they have plunged 35 percent on the same time last
year. Bob Hargreaves, Professor of Property at Massey
University, says people have lost confidence in the market and
banks have become tougher in issuing credit. "People are
finding it harder to get mortgages. It looks like house prices
are continuing to slide, so from the point of view of a buyer
I suppose, people are thinking, well, we may as well hold on.
There's no hurry." Mr Hargreaves believes the property market
has not yet bottomed out.

CONTACT DIRECTORS CRITICISED FOR FEE RISE PLAN

The Energy Minister is sending out a warning to Contact
Energy, describing as "extraordinary' the company's plans to
increase directors' fees and bring two more onto the board,
while at the same time raising power prices by 10 percent. The
Australian-owned company wants to boost the board to six
directors and raise the current directors fee pool which is
split among four directors from $770,000 to $1.5 million. The
company's deputy chairman Phil Pryke is already paid fees of
$1,000 a day. The issue will be discussed at Contact's Annual
General Meeting in Auckland tomorrow. Minister David Parker
says the Commerce Commission inquiry on competition in the
market, designed to ferret out unfair business practices, is
imminent. "It's an inquiry that's been going on for some two
years. It's very technical. There's a lot of information that
experts at the Commerce Commission have to wade through, but
they're expecting that report within weeks." Mr Parker says
cost structures such as high directors' fees give weight to
the view that companies are not being constrained by
competition and people are being charged more than is proper.
Bruce Sheppard from the Shareholders Association says the fees
hike is obscene. He believes the increase will be shared
between just three of the six directors, giving them $500,000
each which he say is absolutely ridiculous for a part time
job. "On top of all of that, you have the fact that the
company economically has underperformed for the last three
years, profits are flat and are not rising." Mr Sheppard says
it becomes even more insulting when Mr Pryke's earnings are
taken into account. He says last year, he earned $330,000 in
fees from Contact, making him the highest paid non-chairman
director in New Zealand. He says Mr Pryke is paid more than
Roderick Deane who chairs Fletcher Building.

(Not bad for part time positions in an under-performing
company. Where does one apply? - BH)

NURSES UNION WANTS MORE AGED CARE SPENDING

Labour and National are being accused of not committing enough
funding to the aged care sector. Prime Minister Helen Clark is
promising an additional $13 million for the next financial
year, and National leader John Key has committed $18 million.
Nurses Organisation industrial advisor Lynley Mulrine says
caregivers' pay has not been mentioned by either party. She
says workers barely earn more than the minimum wage. Ms
Mulrine says people working in the public sector are paid $3
or $4 more an hour than those in the private sector. She
believes Labour has a long term strategy for the aged care
sector and appears to have a better understanding of the
issues than National.

LABOUR'S BOOKLETS "SMART USE OF LOOPHOLE"

A legal expert believes Labour has made smart use of a
loophole in the electoral law. The party has issued around
64,000 booklets for people aged over 60, which give advice
about government entitlements and the impact of this year's
tax cuts on the pension. Associate Professor of Law Andrew
Geddis from Otago University says the electoral law still
allows MPs to communicate with their constituents. "Labour has
just chosen to do that around election time to remind
everybody of what their MPs are doing. If they had used the
word 'Labour' or they'd even used the colour red, that may
have fallen foul of the election spending rules." Mr Geddis
says the way Labour has crafted the pamphlets means the money
spent on them is kept outside the Electoral Finance Act rules.
But National is accusing Labour of dipping its finger back in
the public purse in a bid to round up votes. MP Gerry Brownlee
claims the booklets are a twisting of the rules. He says the
intention is to have the candidate photograph sitting on the
coffee table with the subliminal message that they should be
voted for. Labour was caught out at the last election for
spending $800,000 on its pledge card.

(Smart uses of loopholes are not admired in the light of other
recent abuses. - BH)

FAMILIES STRUGGLING AS INFLATION SOARS
--------------------------------------

The Salvation Army says inflation figures show just how much
families are hurting. Inflation is running at 5.1 percent, an
18 year high. For the year to September, food prices rose 10.8
percent, petrol prices were 29.3 percent higher, electricity
was 6.9 percent higher and housing rents rose 3.1 percent. The
Salvation Army has distributed around 30,000 food parcels in
the year to September, a 5,000 increase on the previous 12
months. Social policy spokesman Major Campbell Roberts says it
has been increasingly tough for those on low incomes to
provide for their family. He says children are suffering the
most, as one in five live below the poverty line. Poverty is
defined as living in homes earning under half the national
median income. In Christchurch, Steve Lapslie from the
Salvation Army's budgeting centre in Linwood says there has
been a 15-20 percent increase in the number of people asking
for help in the last six months. He says the essentials are
getting more expensive and many people find they do not have
enough money to pay their bills. He says the best piece of
advice he can give, is to keep purchases to the essentials and
keep track of spending, no matter how small the amount. Mr
Lapslie says typically people on lower incomes ask for help,
but the Salvation Army is now seeing more middle income
earners struggling.

Thursday, 23 October 2008
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NATIONAL ACCUSED OF DANCING TO BANKS' TUNE

The Finance Minister is resisting calls from National for
urgency in guaranteeing wholesale deposits with banks. Michael
Cullen says the public could be forgiven for thinking John Key
and Bill English have become the spokespeople for the
Australian-owned banks. He says he will proceed with the
deposit guarantees at an orderly pace. "We are not going to be
stampeded by the Australian banks into hasty decisions. That
doesn't mean to say there's an indefinite wait at all, but I
am actually getting quite concerned at the sign that Mr Key
and Mr English simply dance to a tune played by the Australian
banks." Dr Cullen says he is not going to be rushed and would
prefer to reply on the advice of his officials before
finalising anything. The Australians are expected to move on
the wholesale deposits any day now.

PETROL PRICES FALL AGAIN
------------------------

A big drop in crude oil prices is said to finally be flowing
through to the pumps. BP has joined Mobil, Shell, Caltex and
Gull in dropping prices by 4c a litre. That makes 91 $1.72.9 a
litre, except for Gull where it is $1.71.9. In total, oil
companies have dropped petrol by 16c a litre over the past
week, cutting 4c on Friday, 8c on Monday and another 4c today.
Caltex spokeswoman Sharon Buckland says the price of crude
fell significantly a short while ago and that has now flowed
through to refined prices. She says there is often a lag
between a drop in crude and a drop in refined. Ms Buckland
says the other factor is that the New Zealand exchange rate,
which was plummeting, seems to have stabilised.

(Sounds good. How long until the cartel decides to push back?
- BH)

NATIONAL TO INCREASE MEDICINES FUNDING
--------------------------------------

National is planning to establish unilateral agreements with
certain countries to provide New Zealanders greater access to
medicine. Leader John Key has made the announcement at a Grey
Power meeting in Hastings this afternoon. He says National is
planning to boost the funding for medicines by an extra $180
million over the next three years. He says this will expand
the availability of subsidised medicines. Mr Key says National
will also set up a process of unilateral recognition of
medicines that have been registered and approved in countries
like Australia and the US. The National leader is also
pledging to restore the Hawke's Bay District Health Board to
democracy. The board was sacked by Health Minister David
Cunliffe in February. Mr Key says many Hawke's Bay residents
feel a sense of injustice about the sacking, and National
wants to restore the region's input into the health board as
fast as possible. He says National will invite the seven
sacked board members to assist the commissioners in the DHB's
governance. Mr Key says National also wants to ensure fair
analysis of the board's performance at the time it was
dismissed, and to release as much information as possible on
their sacking, including material that is being withheld by
the minister.

SHAREHOLDERS LASH CONTACT'S "CRIMINAL GREED"

Contact Energy is getting a grilling from shareholders at the
company's annual general meeting. Contact wants to increase
the money pool for its directors' fees from $775,000 to $1.5
million. Shareholders at the AGM at the Hyatt Regency in
Auckland are accusing the company of corporate and criminal
greed. One shareholder compared the directors with those
responsible for America's crumbling economy. Another
shareholder said the directors are corrupt, should be ashamed
of themselves and should all be fired - which was met with
loud applause from the hundreds of shareholders. Director Tim
Saunders was asked if he felt he was underpaid, his response
was "yes I am".

(If I was with Contact, I would have swapped suppliers - BH)

PRICE REGULATOR WANTED FOR ENERGY COS
-------------------------------------

Progressive Party leader Jim Anderton says it is time energy
companies were made to justify any power increases to a price
regulator. As Contact Energy prepares to raise customers'
power bill by ten percent, shareholders at the company's AGM
in Auckland are being asked to vote on a resolution nearly
doubling the pool for directors' fees to $1.5 million. The
proposal is likely to be adopted due to the support of 51
percent owner Origin Energy. Mr Anderton accuses energy
companies of making consumers pay for directors' fees set at
greedy levels. He says Contact is guilty of rapacious
behaviour and pillaging consumers by raising the fees while
increasing prices and making a profit of $232 million. Mr
Anderton believes Contact should never have been privatised.

KEY WANTS BRAIN DRAIN ADDRESSED
-------------------------------

National leader John Key says slowing down New Zealand's brain
drain is critical to the country's future. Statistics New
Zealand figures show more than 47,000 people left for
Australia on a permanent or long-term basis during the year to
September. Around 13,000 came back. Mr Key says the numbers
have to be slowed down, especially because young people are
fleeing to Australia. He says the worst departure figures
since records began are a reflection of our low wage problem.
"One of the really worrying things is one in four people who
have been to university have now left New Zealand and live
overseas. That is the worst brain drain of any country in the
developed world." Mr Key does not accept the argument that
Australia is so attractive, New Zealand cannot compete. He
says New Zealand is incredibly well-placed to take advantage
of the growth coming out of Asia. He says with ultra-fast
broadband services, businesses such as niche manufacturing,
can be successfully run out of New Zealand.

OFFICIAL CASH RATE SLASHED
--------------------------

The Reserve Bank has slashed the official cash rate by one
percent. It has gone from 7.5 percent to 6.5 percent, its
biggest ever single reduction.

ALL MAJOR BANKS CUT INTEREST RATES
----------------------------------

All the major banks have cut mortgage interest rates today
after the Official Cash Rate was reduced by one percent.
Kiwibank and Westpac have dropped their variable interest
rates by one percent. They are now 8.7 percent at Kiwibank and
9.45 percent at Westpac. ASB has left its variable rate
unchanged but dropped other term rates, with its six monthly
mortgage rate going down to 7.99 percent from 9.25 percent.
The biggest drop for ANZ and National Banks has been their one
year fixed rates, they are both down from 8.99 percent to 7.90
percent.

UNCERTAIN TIMES FOR HOTEL INDUSTRY
----------------------------------

Credit card company American Express says the global economy
is creating an environment unlike anything seen before in the
hotel industry. The American Express 2009 Asia Pacific
Corporate Hotel Rate Projections and Market Forecast has found
that the double digit room rate increases of the past two
years cannot be sustained and some cities around the world are
more exposed than others. It says many factors are at play
including political instability, oversupply of hotels in some
cities, under supply in others, contracting leisure and
corporate demand and emerging new markets and industries. It
suggests Auckland will escape the worst of any downturn as
occupancy has been running around 75 percent this year the
highest rate in New Zealand, few new hotels are planned and
forecasts predict more in-coming visitors. It says demand for
hotels should be strong for 2009 onwards as improving inbound
arrivals are forecast for 2009 onwards and preparations are
already underway for the city to host the 2011 Rugby World
Cup. It is a similar situation in Wellington where occupancy
rose to around 70 percent at the beginning of the year.
American Express says Wellington boasts the biggest events
calendar in New Zealand. In Asia, the expansion of low cost
airlines should help keep hotel occupancy in many areas
stable. The survey says Beijing made considerable investments
in hotels due to the Olympics which may result in discounting
post-Olympics. In Hong Kong, many new hotels scheduled to be
built over the next two years face increased competition from
new casino resorts in Macau. Hotel occupancy is Adelaide is
expected to remain static until Crowne Plaza opens at the end
of next year but demand growth will be driven by domestic
business over the next few years. In Brisbane, occupancy rate
will continue to rise over the next few years, although there
are no major new hotel openings until 2011. A slowing economy
may result in softer demand in Melbourne over the next 18
months and Sydney may be vulnerable to any softening in
corporate travel this year. The survey says corporate clients
should be nimble and negotiate rates with hotels.

Friday, 24 October 2008
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

POLLS REMAIN VOLATILE AS ELECTION LOOMS
---------------------------------------

The opinion polls continue their volatility a fortnight out
from the election. The latest Roy Morgan poll puts the gap
between National and Labour at nine percent. Two weeks ago the
same poll was showing a gap of just three percent. Other more
mainstream polls are showing the same volatility, with the gap
at between 10-20 percent in National's favour. The constant
result has been the Greens' strong polling, with their average
solid above the crucial five percent. The Morgan poll puts the
Greens at its highest ever rating for the party - 11.5
percent.

GREENS PUSH FOR ORGANIC FARMING
-------------------------------

Greens co-leader Jeanette Fitzsimons wants 15 percent of New
Zealand's farming production to be organic by 2015. Ms
Fitzsimons says it would help maintain the country's clean
green image. She insists making common sense changes towards
sustainable farming techniques would be a pivotal investment
for New Zealand. Ms Fitzsimons says the other crucial part of
the Greens' agriculture policy is to keep farming GM free.

PEOPLE SPENDING LESS ON POKIES
------------------------------

Figures released by the Department of Internal Affairs show
spending on gaming machines has dropped off in the past year.
Director of Gambling Compliance Mike Hill says the total
annual spend to the end of June was $927.1 million, compared
with $938.3 million in 2007. He says given people are spending
less at restaurants and bars, the drop off does not come as a
surprise. The number of pokie machines in operation has
remained at around 20,000.

INTEREST RATE DROP BRINGS RELIEF FOR HOMEOWNERS

A property analyst says the cut in the Official Cash Rate is a
big help for those with mortgages greater than the value of
their house. All the major banks cut mortgage interest rates
yesterday after the OCR was reduced by one per cent. Property
Professor at Lincoln University, Chris Eves, says because of
the slowdown in the property market around 130,000 homeowners
are facing negative equity, where their mortgages are greater
than the value of the home. He says the drop in interest rates
will help. "It's meant that people may have been on the brink
and in a situation where their home loan repayments were
getting too much for them, where they may have had to think
about selling, it's probably given them a breather." Kiwibank
was the first of the banks to react yesterday, lowering its
floating home loan to 8.70 percent. Prof Eves says the lower
interest rates coupled with the steady decline in the property
market could restore housing affordability to levels not seen
for several years.

MINISTER PLEASED ABOUT PARTIAL BACK DOWN

Energy Minister David Parker is endorsing a partial back down
from Contact Energy over its directors' fees. After an at
times stormy annual general meeting in Auckland yesterday
where shareholders called directors "pigs in a trough" the
company decided not to proceed with its original plan to
increase the amount it pays its board's directors. However,
the scheme to raise the directors' fees pool from $770,000 to
$1.5 million had the backing of Contact's majority shareholder
Origin Energy and was approved. Contact chairman Grant King
said the company would not be using the funding straight away
and came to the decision after consideration of the current
economic climate. Energy Minister David Parker says he is
pleased that Contact has responded to public concerns by not
raising directors' fees. The company's plans had also been
criticised by both Prime Minister Helen Clark and National
Party leader John Key. Contact's share price fell 29 percent
to $7.02 yesterday.

SUBSCRIBE OR UNSUBSCRIBE
the website listed below, where you can make changes as
required. If you want to send a personal message to Brian,
change the country code to nz and send a message
[EMAIL PROTECTED] If you do choose to comment on
something in these posts, please don't send the whole
newsletter with your message. Just trim it back to the
relevant bits. Thanks. Brian.