Subject: 7 December, 2008
----- WYSIWYG NEWS ------------------------------
Copyright, Brian Harmer.

One of Canterbury's best kept secrets, Geraldine, is a picture
perfect little town with a population of just under 2,500.
Regrettably, after a single night's stay, we had to move on in
order to reach Queenstown as early as possible. With the sun
barely above the horizon, we set out along SH 79 towards
Fairlie. Early geographers in New Zealand had a talent for the
obvious when they named places. North Island, South Island,
they must have figured that they were on a roll. And so
Beautiful Valley was named. Lovely farming country, especially
in the bright light of early morning. The next valley is more
prosaically named cattle valley, though to my eye, it was no
less beautiful. Fairlie was reached just as the school buses
were leaving their depot to begin their rural pickups for the
day. We turned right onto SH8 on the road to Tekapo and
Aoraki/Mt Cook. And suddenly the roadside was aflame with
lupins, not the common yellow variety that can be found
anywhere, but the riotously coloured Russell variety. These
are a joy to the eye and a pain in the neck to
conservationists who want them eradicated (see
http://www.doc.govt.nz/publications/conservation/threats-and-
impacts/weeds/russell-lupin/). A friend said they are not
native and don't belong here. Oddly, much the same can be said
of almost everyone who has told me that. Blissful in my
ignorance at the time, I enjoyed them anyway. Mary was driving
and we almost bypassed Lake Tekapo's most famous scenic spot,
but she caught sight of it from the corner of her eye, and we
did a swift U-turn and went back to the Church of the Good
Shepherd on the Southernmost shore of the lake. It was still
too early for tourism so we couldn't see inside (except by
peering through the panoramic window behind the altar at the
back. The lake levels were low and vast expanses of gravel
were apparent, or would have been were it not for the stunning
display of lupins. It made for good photo opportunities with
the snow capped peaks of the alps across a mirror calm lake.
Being in something of a hurry, we didn't linger too long and
carried on down that colourful highway until we reached the
Southernmost edge of Lake Pukaki across whose glassy waters we
had a clear view of the Aoraki/Mt Cook (and other only
marginally less majestic peaks). Another pause for
photographs, and we noted the proliferation of rabbits among
the lupins. Every step we took as we walked down to the
lakeside caused more bobbing tails to flee through the
flowers. Looks like the Calicivirus has lost its power. We
paused at Twizel for a morning coffee break, and then carried
on across the wide braided Ahuriri riverbed, through Omarama
under suddenly threatening skies towards the Lindis Pass. I
don't know how, but this is another road I have never
previously travelled. Spectacular is an overworked word, and
few of the adjectives that come to mind do justice to the
scale and grandeur of this landscape. The wildness of the
Lindis Pass lasts pretty much 80 km from Omarama in the North
to Tarras in the South West. Even in heavy overcast weather,
this is scenery to treasure. From Tarras, we carried on SH 8
beside Lake Dunstan to the bridge at Cromwell where we crossed
over to Join SH6 near the entrance to the Kawarau Gorge. More
rugged landscape, though of a totally different sharper edged
character that that which had gone before. The river tumbled
through the Gorge, with occasional stretches of white water,
and past the tumbling outlets of the Roaring Meg Hydro scheme.
Soon, we bypassed the Crown Range turnoff and the road to
Arrowtown, and from there it was a straight run to Frankton
and Queenstown.
Enough for now. More of Queenstown and the Wedding next week.

----
Any text above this point, and all subsequent material in
parentheses, and concluded with the initials "BH" is the
personal opinion of Brian Harmer as editor of this newsletter,
or occasionally "GS" will indicate an opinion from our
editorial assistant. In all cases they are honest expressions
of personal opinion, and are not presented as fact.

All news items (except where noted otherwise) are reproduced
by kind permission of copyright owner, Newstalk ZB News. All
copyright in the news items reproduced remains the property of
The Radio Network Limited.
Sponsorship this week is courtesy of Margaret Ritchie in
Canada. Thanks Margaret.

----
On with the News.

Monday, 1 December 2008
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MAF CONCERNED ABOUT WATER ON FARMS
----------------------------------

Water availability for the farming sector is being identified
as a pressing issue by the Ministry of Agriculture and
Forestry. A briefing paper to incoming Agriculture Minister
David Carter says freshwater allocation faces significant
policy challenges and the water footprint of farming will come
under increasing consumer scrutiny. The paper says farming
generates some of the biggest environmental impacts on water
supply, and water quality is declining to below acceptable
standards in some areas. The ministry report recommends
greater use of water storage and that the current water
management system be better integrated.

GREENS ATTACK ETS PLANS
-----------------------

The Government is being told it has got its priorities wrong
on the Emissions Trading Scheme, as it plans to axe the $1
billion Green Home Fund. The fund, aimed at improving the
warmth and energy efficiency of residential homes, is set to
be discarded under the National led Government's plans to re-
address the ETS. Greens Health spokesman Kevin Hague says,
that is flawed thinking, given a recent report that shows,
substandard housing is making owners ill. He says the benefits
to health, and the energy savings from the Green Home fund are
clear.

(I wonder how long it will take for the Greens to realise that
they have little or no influence on the new government, and
for the media to stop reporting on ineffectual protests - BH)

AIR NZ POSTPONES BIOFUEL TEST
-----------------------------

Air New Zealand has postponed a biofuel test flight following
the Airbus crash off France. Of the seven people onboard the
Airbus when it crashed on Friday, four were Air New Zealand
employees. The airline had planned a two hour flight on
Wednesday using a 747-400 powered by a 50-50 blend of jet fuel
and a synthetic kerosene. The airline says the biofuel test
flight has been put on the backburner as all of the company's
resources have been focused on the tragedy. It says it is
concentrating on supporting the families of those missing and
the investigation into what caused the plane to crash. A new
date for the test flight will be announced later this week.

UNION CLAIMS NATIONAL'S TAX CUTS UNFAIR
---------------------------------------

The Council of Trade Unions is calling on the Government to
re-jig its tax cut plan, to provide what it calls a more
balanced package. CTU Economist Peter Conway says he
understands National will be pushing the cuts through under
urgency before Christmas, but he says that does not mean there
is not time to look at the unfair parts of the proposal. Mr
Conway says a low income worker on $20,000 a year will
actually pay $300 more tax in 2010, while someone on $500,000
will pay $9,202 less. He says the CTU realises the Government
is committed to a certain level of tax cuts but believes there
is still time to make the system fairer. The CTU says the
National Party and Act have agreed to catch up with Australian
income levels by 2025. He says he presumes that this is an
ambition for all New Zealanders not just those on top incomes.
Mr Conway says the first piece of legislation by the new
National Government is to make those on low incomes worse off
and that is not a good start.

(Likewise, the unions need to come to terms with the immediate
post victory mentality of the new government. It seems
unlikely to me that the National Party is likely to adopt any
proposals from the left at this stage of their term in office.
- BH)

SCIENCE AND RESEARCH MERGER
---------------------------

The Government is endorsing the merger of two of the country's
largest science and research institutes. Crop and Food
Research and HortResearch have joined forces and will be known
as the New Zealand Institute for Plant and Food Research. The
new organisation will have around 900 staff. Research, Science
and Technology Minister Wayne Mapp says the merger is a
milestone and will combine the knowledge and expertise in the
important areas of sustainable production and food and health.

NEW RESEARCH ON ABORTIONS
-------------------------

New research may have implications for the legal status of
abortions in this country. Otago University researchers have
found women who have an abortion face a 30 percent greater
risk of developing depression and anxiety. In New Zealand over
90 percent of abortions are authorised on the grounds that
proceeding with the pregnancy will pose a serious threat to
the woman's mental health. The researchers say they do not
support either side of the abortion debate, and that the
effect of abortion on the overall mental health of the
population is very small. It raises the risk of depression and
anxiety, but accounts for between just 1.5 percent and 5.5
percent of overall mental disorders in the general population.

HOW MUCH WILL OCR DROP?
-----------------------

All eyes will be on the Reserve Bank again on Thursday to see
the extent to which it will cut interest rates. Money markets
are speculating about whether governor Alan Bollard will cut
the official cash rate by one percent from 6.5 percent, or go
the whole hog and chop it by 1.5 percent. Business
correspondent Roger Kerr says some business groups are calling
for a two percent cut, but he doubts that will happen. "Mr
Bollard is not renowned for being bold and brave but the world
economic situation continues to deteriorate although in recent
weeks the markets have settled somewhat which is reassuring."
Mr Kerr says analysts are looking for another drop in the OCR
early next year.

GOVT WORKING TO HELP NZERS STRANDED IN THAILAND

Foreign Minister Murray McCully says the Government is doing
all it can to get stranded New Zealanders out of Thailand,
although there are no safety concerns for them at present.
Thai police are in talks with anti-government protesters
occupying Bangkok's two main airports. A grenade blast wounded
more than 50 anti-government protesters in Bangkok yesterday,
fuelling fears of clashes ahead of a major rally in the Thai
capital planned by government supporters. Mr McCully says the
Government is talking to the Australian Government to help
rescue those stuck in Bangkok but he says it is a very complex
process. The flights of up to 30,000 passengers are being
disrupted daily because of the closures of Suvarnabhumi
International Airport and Don Muang domestic airport, where a
temporary state of emergency has been declared. Airports
elsewhere in Thailand remain open. The Ministry of Foreign
Affairs and Trade's advice to New Zealanders in Thailand is to
avoid all political rallies, protests and demonstrations as
there remains the possibility of further violence. Tourists
are being advised to stay in touch with their airlines, travel
agents and family members and to monitor developments via the
media.

NO CHRISTMAS PARTY BETTER THAN REDUNDANCY

Workers across the country are being encouraged not to get
bitter, as companies find cheaper alternatives to Christmas
parties. Wellington Chamber of Commerce CEO Charles Finny says
some companies are being forced to spend less on their
employees as the recession starts to bite and some have even
cancelled this year's Christmas parties. But Mr Finney says
disappointed workers should keep things in perspective. Mr
Finny says it is better to have a toned down Christmas
function, than receive a letter of redundancy. He believes it
is good that companies are taking a conservative approach to
spending given the current financial turbulence. Mr Finny says
workers like to be rewarded for a year of hard work, but at
the moment, some companies have no choice but to cut back. "It
is starting to hit hard. I really don't think we'll see the
full impact until after the Christmas break. Companies can see
the writing on the wall and it's good that people are actually
thinking of ways in which they can use their scarce funds more
efficiently."

Tuesday, 2 December 2008
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CRITICISM OF DELAYS IN OIA REQUESTS
-----------------------------------

The Office of the Ombudsmen is criticising Government
departments and some ministerial offices, for ignoring
provisions of the Official Information Act. The report says
there is a regrettable tendency by some agencies to game the
system and delay information releases. The Ombudsmen say this
subverts the purpose of the OIA and is unacceptable. They have
provided fresh guidance to departments and agencies and say
they expects to see improvements. However it is police who
have topped the list for being the subject of most Official
Information Act complaints. The annual report of the
Ombudsmen's Office shows 97 complaints were made last
financial year about the way police handled OIA requests. It
is more than double the number of complaints made about
educational institutes. District Health Boards, the Ministry
of Social Development, the Ministry of Health and the Ministry
of Labour all ranked highly for being the subject of OIA
complaints.

(As a letter to the editor of the Dominion Post pointed out
this week, the OIA requires that any agency receiving a
request must render a decision within 20 days as to whether or
not they will provide the information, and thereafter, if the
information is to be provided, they are merely required to
deliver it as expeditiously as possible. The real surprise to
most people, though, is that the Act is toothless. There are
no penalties for non-compliance. - BH)

ACC $1 BILLION SHORTFALL UNCOVERED
----------------------------------

The Government has been given a shock, with revelations of a
billion dollar shortfall in the ACC account. Prime Minister
John Key has ordered a ministerial inquiry into the
organisation, which he says only has enough money to get it
through until March. Mr Key is assuring ACC recipients that
their care will continue, but says the Labour-led Government
has some answering to do. He says previous ministers knew of
the serious funding issue as long ago as last May. He says
there are serious questions to be answered about what he calls
a "ticking time bomb". Mr Key says the desperate situation at
ACC was not revealed when Labour opened the books before the
election, even though they knew about it.

NOT A GOOD TIME TO SELL BUSINESSES
----------------------------------

Business owners hoping to sell up are thinking twice. The
first ASB Succession Planning Monitor shows 82 percent of
respondents think it is not a good time to sell their company.
Survey spokesman James Mitchell is not surprised by the
results. He says people have lost confidence in the market and
have lower expectations of what it is likely to deliver. He
says the focus for private business owners is shifting more
towards sustaining rather than expanding their business.

SHOCKING TIME FOR GROCERY SHOPPERS
----------------------------------

A Wellington supermarket is trying to fix a problem that has
caused several customers to receive mild electric shocks from
new store shelving. Johnsonville resident Vivienne Hill raised
the issue with the duty manager at her local Countdown shop on
Sunday after being zapped while doing her shopping. She says
she received two electric jolts when she went to reach out for
packets of biscuits. Ms Hill says the duty manager informed
her the shop had received a number of complaints from staff
and shoppers about static shocks which seemed to be caused by
a problem with the trolley wheels and new flooring. A
spokesman for the supermarket's owner Progressive Enterprises
says the company is working on a solution and customers are
not in any danger.

ECONOMY EXPECTED TO PICK UP NEXT YEAR
-------------------------------------

The economy is expected to pick up steam next year as tax
cuts, lower petrol prices and a drop in interest rates help to
pull New Zealand out of recession. The New Zealand Institute
of Economic Research has released its December 2008 Quarterly
Predictions. Senior economist Johannah Branson expects the
lowest point to be the year ending March 2009 when economic
activity will contract 0.1 percent, after which, things should
improve. Dr Branson expects modest growth for the four
quarters of 2009, leading to 1.6 percent growth in the year to
March 2010. She says economic growth should accelerate to 3.3
percent in 2011. Dr Branson says from the first half of 2009,
the recovery will be led by an upturn in private consumption
and strengthening global economic growth. However uncertainty
in the housing market and job security may temper the
recovery.

IMPORTERS WORRIED ABOUT PORT STRIKE
-----------------------------------

The Importers Institute is urging the Ports of Auckland and
the Maritime Union to sort out its dispute with staff. More
than 300 workers will walk off the job for 24 hours tonight
over pay and conditions, which is expected to cause
frustrating delays for importers. Daniel Silva, secretary of
the Importers Institute, says importers are already struggling
in harsh economic conditions and the strike will only make
things worse. He says importers are getting their last
shipments of goods before Christmas and the strike action is
making them very nervous. Mr Silva is disappointed the two
parties could not reach an agreement after two weeks of
negotiating.

NZ ARGUES AGRICULTURE CASE AT CLIMATE CHANGE TALKS

The government looks set to mount a special case for New
Zealand's agricultural sector at United Nations climate change
talks in Poland but the Green Party fears it will back away
from targets aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions. The
two weeks of talks which began overnight, involve more than
10,000 delegates from nearly 190 governments and business
groups. Prime Minister John Key says representatives at the
Poznan meeting are arguing very strongly that New Zealand has
a different position to other countries, in that many of New
Zealand's emissions come from agriculture. He says it has to
be recognised that New Zealand does not have technological
solutions to the problem and to cut production could have
unintended consequences.

STREETS HIT THE INTERNET
------------------------

People should soon be able to walk the length of the country
without leaving the comfort of their home. Google is launching
'Street View' in New Zealand which allows internet users to
navigate 360 degree street level imagery of cities, towns,
regions and remote areas. Google spokeswoman Annie Baxter says
people worldwide will be able to explore parts of New Zealand
they have never seen before. She says camera equipped cars
have been driving the length of the country for the last 12
months taking pictures. Ms Baxter says the images are not in
real time and anyone in the pictures cannot be identified.

(It's a fascinating tool, albeit a bit clunky in its
execution. Navigation within the image view is clumsy. There
are still gaps in the coverage but the extent of it is
surprising. - BH)

Wednesday, 3 December 2008
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ACC BLOWOUT NOT AN EXCUSE FOR PRIVATISATION - GOVT

National is dismissing claims from Labour that the billion
dollar blowout to the Accident Compensation Fund is being used
to prepare the way for privatisation. ACC Minister Nick Smith
says former Minister Maryan Street was obliged to make the
shortfall public when she became aware of it in May. But
Labour says it was under no obligation and has broken no
rules. Prime Minister John Key has said he is annoyed that
National only found out about the problem after the election
and says it should have been disclosed in Treasury's pre-
election fiscal update. He has ordered a ministerial inquiry.
There have been suggestions that the shortfall gives National
an excuse to privatise the fund but Dr Smith says that is
scurrilous. He is confident the ministerial inquiry will
pinpoint who is to blame. ACC needs $297 million more this
financial year and the same amount the next two years to cover
its non-earners account, which deals with claims from
children, the elderly and students.

FARMERS JOIN CALL FOR BIG INTEREST RATE CUT

Federated Farmers is joining the chorus of people calling on
the Reserve Bank to cut the official cash rate by 1.5 percent
tomorrow. Economics spokesman Phillip York says a big
reduction in interest rates is essential, particularly in the
light of the Reserve Bank of Australia's move yesterday to cut
its rate to 4.25 percent. Mr York says even with a 1.5 percent
cut tomorrow, New Zealand's interest rates will still be
higher than those in Australia, its biggest export market. He
says, with farmers facing a rapid cooling in commodity prices
and a potential drought over summer, the cut is needed to
provide a stimulus for the economy. In October, the Reserve
Bank cut the OCR by one percent to 6.50 percent.

AIRPORT COMPANY REORGANISES TEAMS
---------------------------------

Auckland Airport is putting in place a new organisational
structure and leadership team. The company says it will
comprise three profit-centre divisions of Aeronautical, Retail
and Property, supported by a new aeronautical business
development unit and a lean corporate centre. Responsibilities
of the former engineering division have been incorporated into
other divisions. Chief executive officer Simon Moutter says
the focus in recent years has been very much on building
infrastructure and capacity. He says the new leadership
emphasis will ensure the company makes the most of its recent
infrastructure investment and enhances services to airline
customers and passengers. The company says the shift in focus
away from building infrastructure and capacity to building
customer and passenger experience has meant realigning
leadership team resources. This has seen the introduction of
several new faces and new roles and the departure of general
manager engineering, Steve Reindler. Andrew Pirie will join
the company as communications advisor, Glenn Wedlock has been
appointed as the general manager aeronautical business
development and Adrian Littlewood as the general manager
retail. Mr Moutter says that with tougher global economic
conditions and volatile fuel prices influencing likely
passenger and airfreight demand, it is critical that Auckland
Airport puts significantly more focus on business development
activity, partner support and working on new growth
strategies. He says it will also be essential to focus on
productivity gains through all levels of the business.

SANTA'S HOTLINE OPEN
--------------------

Telecom's hotline to the North Pole is open. Last year Santa
received more than 650,000 messages from excited children and
some adults. Telecom is advising well-behaved children to get
their wishes in quickly this year, before Santa is overwhelmed
by the numbers calling. The phone number is 0800 222 222.
Santa can also be emailed from the Telecom website.

SWIMMING SKILLS SINKING
-----------------------

The ability of young people to swim and survive is sinking and
drownings are forecast to soar. New Zealand already has one of
the highest rates of drowning in the developed world,
averaging 114 per annum between 2003-2007 and Water Safety
predicts the death toll will exceed 150 each year within the
next 12 years and will rise to 180 by 2030. Matt Claridge,
general manager, says the underlying basis to enjoying aquatic
environments and recreation is the ability to swim and survive
but he says the decline can be directly attributed to
inadequate opportunities to develop the skill. He says
swimming lessons used to be an integral component of the
education system, but that is no longer the case as changes to
the school curriculum and reduced funding have resulted in
swimming lessons having a lower priority. Only 50 percent of
year six children are able to swim 25 metres. ? Unsurpisingly
we have found that it is schools with a high decile rating
that are able to provide adequate opportunities. These are
also the kids who are also most likely to be involved with
additional instruction outside of the school. Sadly, there is
a direct correlation between socio-economic status and access
to learn to swim opportunities and it's just not good enough.?
Mr Claridge says schools need to start teaching swimming again
and it should be a compulsory component of the curriculum. ?In
Australia and Great Britain the issue has been identified and
action taken to ensure school aged children learn to swim.
It's remiss that we do not ensure our children develop these
fundamental skills. The Government and its Ministries need to
consider the priority and level of resource provided to
schools in this area. Perhaps most important of all is that
communities recognise the importance of the issue and
coordinated action is taken to improve the situation.

(One of the things that impressed me in Australia was the
number of kids being taught to swim from the age of six months
and up. Classes of tiny little kids floundering through the
water are amazing. No wonder there are so many Olympic gold
medals in Australian homes. - BH)

Thursday, 4 December 2008
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

INTEREST RATES SLASHED
----------------------

The Reserve Bank has slashed the official cash rate by 1.5
percent, bringing it five percent. Reserve Bank Governor Alan
Bollard says further small rates cuts are possible in the
coming months.

ANZ AND NATIONAL JOIN IN WITH RATES CUTS

ANZ and National have joined other major banks in cutting
their mortgage and fixed term rates. They have responded to
the Reserve Bank's slashing of the official cash rate by 150
basis points. ANZ and National have made cuts across the
board, cutting fixed term rates as much as 0.66 percent and
their variable rates half a percent.

ANOTHER ACC BUDGET BLOWOUT
--------------------------

The Government has found another budget blowout in an ACC
account. ACC Minister Nick Smith has revealed the earners
account has a shortfall of $1.3 billion. The news comes just
days after it was discovered the non-earners account will need
a $1.2 billion top up from the Government. Dr Smith says the
earners account is funded from employer-levies, which it is
now being recommended the Government increase in the coming
years. Labour leader Phil Goff says ACC will be under pressure
from poor return on investments and rising medical costs. He
says that would have happened regardless of whether ACC was
state funded, or privatised, which he believes National
intends to do.

OCR CUTS HURT THE ELDERLY
-------------------------

People reliant on income derived from deposits will be hit by
the drop in interest rates. Banks have cut their mortgage
rates today following a 1.5 percent drop in the official cash
rate. They say interest paid on deposits will fall as well.
The Director of the Centre for Banking Studies at Massey
University David Tripe says people reliant on deposit interest
will be faced with a drop in income. He says New Zealanders
tend to deposit for relatively short terms, which means in
many cases as interest rates come down there will be an impact
on their income relatively quickly. Age Concern chief
executive Ann Martin says many older people rely on income
from interests on deposits to top up their benefit. She says
many of the older people have moved investments to their
banks, which are being seen as safer than other parts of the
finance sector. Ms Martin says now with the lower interest
rate it will have a negative impact on their income.

(With due respect to Ms Martin, I wonder what mechanism she
suggests that would protect the elderly or any other group
from the vagaries of the world financial system? - BH)

TREASURY SHAKES HEAD AT STIMULUS PACKAGE

Treasury is advising the Government not to go ahead with an
economic fiscal stimulus package. In briefing papers to
Finance Minister Bill English, Treasury says the current
budget already incorporates stimulus of almost three percent
of GDP in 2008-09, through tax cuts and spending plans. It
says it is already larger than moves by other OECD countries
with stimulus plans. Treasury says using fiscal stimulus will
be costly in the short term and may require savings later to
avoid deterioration in the fiscal outlook.

SUPERGOLD CARD HOLDERS ON THE BUSES
-----------------------------------

The number of elderly people riding buses around Auckland has
almost doubled since the SuperGold card scheme came in. The
card, introduced by New Zealand First leader Winston Peters,
allows senior citizens to travel for free during off-peak
times. Figures from the Auckland Regional Transport Authority
show 97 percent more senior citizens have travelled on public
transport in October this year compared with last year.
Spokeswoman Sam Rich says it is great to see people taking
advantage of the scheme and using public transport.

Friday, 5 December 2008
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CHINATOWN PLANNED FOR AUCKLAND SUBURB
-------------------------------------

New Zealand may get its own Chinatown, in the West Auckland
suburb of New Lynn. Waitakere City Council is investigating a
development, including the possibility of buying ornamental
Chinese gates and other related items from the council's
sister city of Ningbo in China. Mayor Bob Harvey wants to
develop an area reflective of both traditional and modern
China. He says it is an exciting idea that stacks up in cities
like Melbourne, London and Seattle and would dramatically
distinguish New Lynn. The council has not yet considered a
budget for the proposal.

WHOLESALERS SEE DROP IN SALES
-----------------------------

Wholesalers are feeling the pinch with a $219 million drop in
sales for the September quarter. Statistics New Zealand says
it is the largest quarterly drop since December 2005. The
biggest fall was in motor vehicle sales, which were down 11.3
percent. Petroleum-products were down 6.9 percent and primary
product food wholesaling declining 3.3 percent. It was
partially offset by a 5.6 percent rise in the sales of
unprocessed primary products.

RED INK ALL OVER GOVERNMENT'S BALANCE SHEETS

There is red ink all over the Government's balance sheets in
the latest Crown Financial Statement. The Crown now has an
operating balance deficit of $3.5 billion, instead of a
forecast $1.5 billion surplus. Treasury says this is due to
investment losses by the Superfund, ACC and the Earthquake
Commission. There has also been a revaluation of long term
liabilities for ACC and the Government Superfund. The Crown's
sovereign issued debt is $3.7 billion higher than anticipated
at more than $33 billion, which is almost 19 percent of GDP.
That has been caused by a stronger than expected demand for
Government-issued assets and the weaker New Zealand dollar.

PETROL PRICES FALL AGAIN
------------------------

Shell has kicked off another price drop at the pumps. Petrol
and diesel is four cents cheaper. The price of 91 is now
$1.39.9c a litre and octane is $1.44.9c. Diesel is down to
$1.16.9c. Shell says the price drop is due to the continuing
fall in the cost of crude on international markets.

REAL ESTATE AGENTS HOPING FOR MARKET BOOST

Auckland's largest real estate company hopes the drop in the
official cash rate will help buyers overcome their concerns.
Banks have started passing on the benefit of the Reserve
Bank's 1.5 percent reduction in interest rates by cutting
fixed and floating mortgage rates. The reduction in rates
coincides with new figures showing house prices in the
Auckland region dropping last month. Figures from Barfoot and
Thompson show the average price for November declined 3.7
percent to $500,840 from the same month last year, but
managing director Peter Thompson says it is no great surprise.
?The average sale price has been moving around within a band
between about $495,000 and $525,000 all year, so I wouldn't
read too much into an individual monthly result. The average
price for the year to date is $514,000.? Mr Thompson says
Barfoot and Thompson's auction rooms were full last month, but
buyers were very cautions and held back. "Buyers seem to be
waiting to see what price is set in the auction room and are
then willing to negotiate post- auction.? He says the auction
clearance rate during November was about 35 percent under the
hammer and more than 50 percent by the end of the week
following auction day. The average weekly rent for November
was $381, down from $385 in October. Mr Thompson hopes the
interest rate reduction will be the impetus needed to generate
fresh activity in the urban residential and rural property
markets.

ADJUSTMENT WANTED TO ROAD USER CHARGES
--------------------------------------

The Government is being challenged to review road user
charges. The AA Energy Wise Four Day Rally shows motorists how
they can slash their fuel bills by choosing a fuel efficient
car. The Supreme winner was the Honda Civic Hybrid which cost
$111.72 to run over 1641 kilometres. Hyundai executive
director Philip Eustace says if the Hyundai i30 were exempt
from diesel road user charges, it would have cost $96.66 to
compete. He says the results show that road user charges
penalise owners of the most fuel-frugal vehicles. It costs the
driver of a private vehicle $370.26 to buy 10,000km of road
user charges. Earlier in the year, truck drivers held protests
through towns and cities throughout New Zealand to demonstrate
against the Government raising the road user charges without
warning.

(Challenges to the government are in my opinion, premature. -
BH)

COMPANIES GETTING LITTLE RELIEF FROM BANKS - BERL

An economist believes it is critical that banks cut interest
rates for businesses. Major banks have reduced their mortgage
rates following a 1.5 percent drop in the official cash rate.
Ganesh Nana from the independent Business and Economic
Research group, BERL, says the move will make life easier for
people with home mortgages, but he says in recent times
companies have been offered little relief from banks. He says
to ensure jobs remain in place and economic activity
continues, businesses need interest rate relief. Dr Nana says
the world economy is in serious strife and the situation
should not be underplayed. He says anyone who does paint a
positive picture is either selling a line, or is very very
optimistic. Dr Nana says Reserve Bank Governor Alan Bollard
could have cut the OCR even further, but will be waiting to
see what happens to the economy down the track. Yesterday, Dr
Bollard said New Zealand went into a very shallow recession
early on, compared with its trading partners. He said the
recession has now ended.

SUBSCRIBE OR UNSUBSCRIBE
the website listed below, where you can make changes as
required. If you want to send a personal message to Brian,
change the country code to nz and send a message
[EMAIL PROTECTED] If you do choose to comment on
something in these posts, please don't send the whole
newsletter with your message. Just trim it back to the
relevant bits. Thanks. Brian.