If you are unable to view html within your email program please use the following link
to view Chuck Muth's latest News and Views: http://chuckmuth.com/newsandviews/nv.cfm

___________________________________

EXTRA!  EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT...

A recent “Survey Says!” of News & Views readers showed that 92% of us thought the
Senate should block the appointment of Dawn Tisdale to the Postal Rate Commission.  So
Citizen Outreach sent a letter yesterday to Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine), Chairman of
the Governmental Affairs Committee, urging REJECTION of Mr. Tisdale’s nomination.
More to come.  You can read our letter on today’s News & Views EXTRA page by surfing
over to:  http://www.chuckmuth.com/newsandviews/nv.cfm
_____________________________________

ALL ABUSE VIDEOS NOT CREATED EQUAL

“The U.S. backed Arab-language news network Al Hurra broadcast video on Wednesday
depicting grisly acts of torture on Iraqi citizens ordered by Saddam Hussein. But so
far at least, the shocking new video remains embargoed by U.S. media outlets.

“The Washington Post admitted on Friday that it was in possession of some of the
gruesome torture images - but did not publish them in a report on the video buried on
Page A21. Instead, Post editors decided to front-page stale images of U.S. abuse of
suspected terrorists held at Baghdad's Abu Ghraib prison.

“...In video yet to be broadcast by any U.S. outlet, Hussein torture victims are shown
being flogged and having fingers chopped off. One detainee is filmed as he is thrown
from a roof, another beheaded by a sword-wielding member of Saddam's elite Fedayeen
unit.  According to the Post, video of the beheading shows a man placing the severed
head on the victim's prone body. Another scene shows a man's tongue being cut out.

“As NewsMax.com reported on Sunday, other gruesome images from the embargoed video
include scenes of Kurdish detainees being castrated and babies being gassed to death.
During the beheading, the executioner reportedly sings ‘Happy Birthday, Saddam.’"

- NewsMax.com, 5/21/04

ALL GENERALS NOT CREATED EQUAL

“We know conclusively that the Abu Ghraib abuse scandal is as phony as a Bill Clinton
sex denial because there are no calls for the resignation of the one individual most
responsible for the abuses.  That would be the officer in charge of Abu Ghraib and all
U.S. military prisons in Iraq, the commander of the 800th Military Police Brigade,
Army Brig. Gen. Janis Karpinski. And why have there been no calls for her resignation?
Let's be honest. It is because she is a woman.  Thus the frightening lesson of the
abuse scandal: Political correctness trumps national security, even in wartime.”

- Columnist Jack Wheeler

TEACHERS SENTENCED TO “COUNSELING”

“Two Texas high school teachers were suspended Wednesday for showing students the
video of the decapitation of American businessman Nick Berg by terrorists in Iraq,”
reported the Washington Times on Friday.  “Keith Sockwell, superintendent of the
Northwest Independent School District, said the showing of the video reflected ‘poor
judgment’ and was ‘inappropriate.’ He said the two teachers would be ordered to
undergo counseling.”

Counseling?  You have GOT to be kidding me.  And you wonder why our kids isn’t
learning?

SURVEY SAYS!

Should high school teachers be prohibited from showing the Nick Berg beheading in
their classrooms?

*  Yes
*  No
*  I’m a Kerry Democrat...Yes AND No

Cast your vote by clicking the “Survey Says!” tab at www.citizenoutreach.com

SUPER-SIZED LARD BUTT

“It would be great if the tub of lard formerly known as Michael Moore were solicited
to light the Olympic flame in August and just stayed over there. Given his
deteriorating physical condition, however, he probably would be only a 50-50 bet to
survive the climbing of the stadium steps.”

- Columnist Tom Knott

(UN)PATRIOT GAMES

“What I am telling the [American] athletes is, 'Don't run over and grab a flag and
take it round the track with you.' It's not business as usual for American athletes.
If a Kenyan or a Russian grabs their national flag and runs round the track or holds
it high over their heads, it might not be viewed as confrontational."

- USOC consultant Mike Moran warning against “jingoistic” displays of patriotism by
American athletes at this summer’s Olympics in Greece

PELOSI UNGLUED: IS THIS UNPATRIOTIC?

“(President) Bush is an incompetent leader. In fact, he's not a leader. He's a person
who has no judgment, no experience and no knowledge of the subjects that he has to
decide upon.  Not to get personal about it, but the president's capacity to lead has
never been there.  In order to lead, you have to have judgment. In order to have
judgment, you have to have knowledge and experience. He has none.”

- House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Tikrit) in a San Francisco Chronicle interview

AID & COMFORT

“Mrs. Pelosi has the right to disagree with President Bush, and it is clear that she
has a different vision from the President. But her comments questioning the
President's competence cross the line.  We are in the middle of a war and in the
middle of a political campaign. Mrs. Pelosi's comments were meant to inspire her
political base. But who else do they inspire? That is the question she should ask
herself.  Her comments are also wrong.”

- House Speaker Dennis Hastert

THAT’S A BIG “IF”

“The Republicans are supposed to be a party of free trade and economic freedom. Bush
has been one of the worst free-trade presidents we've had in a long time. He is a big
spender who makes Bill Clinton look like a penny pincher. I doubt that I'm going to
find Kerry to be a viable alternative. This year, if the Libertarians put up a
non-nut, I may end up voting for a Libertarian."

- Cypress Semiconductor CEO T.J. Rodgers

IS DASCHLE A GONER?

As we noted in yesterday’s News & Views, Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle barely
leads his GOP opponent, former congressman John Thune, by a slight 49-47 percent
margin.  But here’s the rest of the story...and it spells doom for Daschle if the
Thune camp doesn’t blow it.

Fearful that Daschle might be vulnerable, the Daschle campaign has spent a staggering
$8 million on television, radio, newspaper ads and direct mail in recent months to
“reintroduce” Daschle to the voters.  By contrast, Thune has spent just $500,000...and
not a penny yet to run a single ad.

If it wasn’t for the fact that Republicans have a well-deserved reputation for never
blowing an opportunity to blow an opportunity, we’d say stick a fork in Daschle...he’s
done.

GOV’T SCHOOL TEACHER ESCHEWS GOV’T SCHOOLS

“Early on weekday mornings, as Lesley-Anne Jones implores her three sons to button
their shirts and knot their ties and tie their dress shoes, they ask why they can't
attend her school. If Ms. Jones wanted to be factual about it, she could say that the
family lives just outside the boundary for Public School 158 in the East New York
section of Brooklyn, where she teaches fifth grade. Instead, she tells them the deeper
truth. ‘I'm your mother, and I know what's good for you,’ she explains. ‘And the
public school won't be.’

“Then she drives the children to a nearby private school, the Trey Whitfield School.
Every month, she and her husband send the school a check for $900, the equivalent of
almost two weeks' take-home pay from her job. They make the sacrifice because Trey
Whitfield offers their children a demonstrably safer and better education than what is
available at either P.S. 158 or their local school, Public School 149.

“...In her decision to enroll her children there, Ms. Jones has plenty of company
among the Whitfield School parents. Probation officers, nurse's aides, office
managers, subway conductors, these are the overlooked legions of the black working
class. . . . Their departure from urban school systems, not only in New York but also
across the nation, represents one of the most significant and little-noticed trends in
public education.”

- New York Times, 5/19/04

STUPIDITY VIRUS STRIKES IN FT. WORTH

“Cory Henson, a sophomore at  Diamond Hill-Jarvis High School in Fort Worth, Texas,
was ‘immediately suspended, pending a conference with administrators today,’ when
school officials found a miniature baseball bat in his car in the school parking lot,
the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports. The eight-inch ‘bat’ had broken off a trophy, he
says. ‘Officials will decide whether the bat is considered a weapon that would merit
punishment, including placement in an alternative school or expulsion for up to a
year.’  Also in Henson's car was a proper baseball bat, made of aluminum. But that
isn't considered a weapon.”

- James Taranto’s “Best of the Web,”5/21/04

Chuck Muth’s News & Views is published by Citizen Outreach, a non-partisan, 501(c)3
non-profit corporation. The opinions and views expressed in Chuck Muth's News & Views
reflect those of the writers, editors and columnists therein and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Citizen Outreach, its officers, directors or employees.

Published by: Citizen Outreach
Chuck Muth
Editor/Publisher
611 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE, #439