***************************************
Take Your Best Shot at Osama

http://www.rock103.com/bin.html

If you know someone who might like to receive News & Views, you can sign 'em
up at:  http://www.chuckmuth.com.  Also, occasionally, the automatic
listserve we use will "bump" subscribers off the list if your mailbox is
full or experiences some other technical glitch.  If you suddenly stop
receiving News & Views, the first thing you should do is try to re-subscribe
using the link above.

***************************************
The Mighty French

"I heard a story that 10,000 French protesters showed up at the American
embassy in Paris.  The two Marine guards on duty frowned at them, so they
left."

- Rush Limbaugh

***************************************
It's Only Been EIGHT Days

"Consider the greatest military collapse of modern times, the infamous
French fold at the start of World War II. Germany invaded France on May 10,
1940, didn't get to Paris until June 14, and didn't get a French surrender
until June 22.  Even the French--the French!--were able to hold out for 44
days. If Saddam prolongs the fighting for another 5 weeks, all he will be
doing is rising to the level of military competence set by France."

- Columnist Jonathan Last of the Weekly Standard

***************************************
Realistic Assessment of the War

"The campaign to liberate Iraq is going well, though you might not know it
from the shock and awe of the media, which apparently discovered only this
week that war -- even for a winning army -- is hell.

"As is the case in nearly every war, brave soldiers have been captured or
killed, armor and aircraft have been destroyed, and Mother Nature -- this
time in the form of furious sandstorms -- has refused to cooperate with
military planners.

"But the losses and setbacks have been vastly greater for Saddam Hussein's
military than for the forces fighting to topple him.  With the war only a
week old, Iraq's southern oil fields and its only port city are in American
hands; thousands of Iraqi soldiers are in custody; Republican Guard
divisions are being ripped from the air; an anti-Saddam uprising, aided by
British troops, is reportedly underway in Basra; no Scuds have been fired at
Israel; and the American-led alliance is nearly at the outskirts of
 Baghdad."

- Boston Globe columnist Jeff Jacoby

***************************************
Surrender Fever

"The good news -- not only do we have the Iraqis on the run, but late today,
two of the Dixie Chicks surrendered."

- "Tonight Show" host Jay Leno

***************************************
Birds of a Feather.

"I'm saddened, saddened that this president failed so miserably at diplomacy
that we're now forced to war. Saddened that we have to give up one life
because this president couldn't create the kind of diplomatic effort that
was so critical for our country."

-Tom Daschle, March 17

"I find it tragic that the Bush administration's attempts at diplomacy
failed so miserably and have led us to the point of starting a war that
might have been avoided."

- Barbra Streisand, March 24

Free Speech for Me, But Not for Thee

"Streisand also declares: 'How dare the media call people who speak out
against the war unpatriotic. Exercising freedom of speech is an extremely
patriotic act.'  Got that? If you speak against your country, you're
patriotic. If you speak against those who speak against your country, you're
unpatriotic."

- James Taranto, Best of the Web, 3/26/03

************************************
NEW!  4.75 cents-per-minute Long Distance

* All state-to-state calls in the continental U.S.
* Residential or commercial
* 6-second billing increments
* 24 hours/day
* 7 days/week
* No access codes
* No minimums
* No activation fees
* Calling Card Rate is 10 cents per minute
* No monthly service charge unless your bill is less than $20.00 a month
(then a $1.99 service charge will apply)
* No need to change your local phone company
* No hassles
* Easy sign-up.
* And a small portion of each bill goes to help continue publishing our FREE
Chuck Muth's News & Views e-newsletter.

Just go to: <http://www.GOPLongDistance.com>

Why Iraqis Live in Terror

"It's certainly understandable that (Basra) residents would hesitate to
revolt again, at least not before they were certain that Saddam's regime was
really and finally dead. All the more so when Saddam's Fedayeen enforcers
have been lurking in the city's shadows to punish any show of pleasure or
relief. One news report we saw told of a woman on the outskirts of Basra who
made the mistake of waving to the Brits and was later found hanged.

"...If the U.S. and Britain have miscalculated in their war planning, it is
only in underestimating how deep Saddam's terror runs in Iraq. It is so
pervasive that many Iraqis won't believe liberation until they see the
whites of American eyes."

- "Review & Outlook," OpinionJournal.com, 3/27/03

***************************************
No More Mr. Nice Guy

"I'm sick of fighting a 'clean' war.  If civilians or human shields are near
a military target, even if it is only one Iraqi soldier, then that should be
their tough luck.  If someone doesn't agree, then tell me how many
GI's-per-civilian should we be willing to sacrifice."

- News & Views reader Bob Wacker, Midland, Texas

US vs. UN

"Liberals, who call conservative hostility to the U.N. 'radical,' disregard
the recklessness, and the incoherence, of the U.N.'s new presumption. The
U.N., a collection of regimes of less than uniform legitimacy, has anointed
itself the sole arbiter of what are legitimate military actions. And it has
claimed a duty to leash the only nation that has the power to enforce U.N.
resolutions. How long will that nation's public be willing to pay
one-quarter of the U.N.'s bills?

"It is a measure of the intellectual vertigo into which the U.N. has plunged
'the international community' that America, which is going to war to enforce
Resolution 1441, is said to be doing so 'in defiance of the U.N.' The war
will be followed by a presidential election in which all candidates must
answer this: 'Do you believe that any use of U.S. military power lacks
legitimacy unless approved by France, Russia and China?' The Republican
candidate has already answered."

- Columnist George Will

***************************************
Ironic Twist

"Actually, though, it seems to us that it's time for America to extend an
olive branch to the world body (United Nations).  (Secretary of State Colin)
Powell and President Bush should both pledge that the allies will withdraw
from Iraq the moment the Security Council passes a resolution demanding it."

- James Taranto, Best of the Web, 3/27/03

Mother of All Entangling Alliances

Tell Congress it's time to stop funding and appeasing the United Nations
when it comes to American security interests.  Sign this online petition
telling asking your congressional representatives to get the US out of the
UN.  Just go to:
<http://www.libertypetitions.com/petition.html?name=get_us_out_of_un>

***************************************
Union Position Having Consequences

"I have been a strong union leader for 12 years. After reading in your paper
that unions are not supporting our troops I resigned my post and am ashamed
of my union. I was always taught by my union that we must fight for what we
deserve in the work place.  What hypocrites to not support our troops for
fighting for freedom in the USA from terrorism. Please believe me that not
all union members are in agreement with the AFL-CIO. To my troops in Iraq I
apologize!"

- News & Views reader Lenita Wissinger

Oldie but Goodie:  Dealing with Peaceniks

When you are confronted by an anti-war protester, here are the proper rules
of etiquette:

1.)  Listen politely while this person explains their views. Strike up a
conversation, if necessary, and look very interested in their ideas. They
will tell you how revenge is immoral, and that by attacking the people who
did this to us we will only bring on more violence. They will probably use
many arguments, ranging from political to religious to humanitarian.

2.)  In the middle of their remarks, without any warning, punch them in the
nose.

3.)  When the person gets up off of the ground, they will be very angry and
they may try to hit you, so be careful.

4.) Very quickly and calmly remind the person that violence only brings
about more violence and remind them of their stand on this matter. Tell them
if they are really committed to a non-violent approach to undeserved
attacks, they will turn the other cheek and negotiate a solution. Tell them
they must lead by example if they really believe what they are saying.

5.)  Most of them will think for a moment and then agree that you are
correct.

6.)  As soon as they do that, hit them again. Only this time hit them much
harder. Square in the nose.

7.)  Repeat steps 2-5 until the desired results are obtained and the idiot
realizes how stupid an argument he/she is making.

***************************************
Worth Every Penny

You all know how I feel about the quality of the campaign training seminars
put on by the Leadership Institute.  So let me share an opinion just sent to
me by News & Views reader Lawrence Klepinger who recently returned stateside
from a stint in Japan:

"Thank you for your suggestion a couple years ago to enroll in the
Leadership Institute. In four years studying political science in university
I never took so many notes and learned so much in such a short time.  Great
experience - and worth every penny."

'Nuff said.  Here's the current schedule of Grassroots Activist seminars
around the country (I'll personally be in Knoxville this weekend...and it's
not too late to join us.):

*  March 29 - Communications Workshop, San Diego, CA
*  March 29-30 - Knoxville, TN
*  March 29-30 - Baton Rouge, LA
*  April 12-13 - Jackson, MS

For additional information, contact Matt Lewis at the Leadership Institute:
(800) 827-LEAD or go to www.leadershipinstitute.org.

*********************************
*********************************
Published by Citizen Outreach
Chuck Muth
Editor/Publisher
611 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE, #439
Washington, DC  20003-4303
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Citizen Outreach is a 501(c)(3) non-profit public policy organization and
does not endorse candidates or lobby for specific legislation.  The opinions
and views expressed in Chuck Muth's News & Views reflect those of the
writers, editors and columnists therein and do not necessarily reflect the
opinions of Citizen Outreach, its officers, directors or employees.

To be REMOVED, go to: http://www.chuckmuth.com/remove/default.cfm
and complete the removal request instructions you'll find there. Or send
your request to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

# # #