***************************************
Freaks and Oddballs

"Have you ever seen such a sad collection of electoral oddballs, fringe
political freaks and quasi-criminal losers in your life?  This is the kind
of campaign disaster that challenges one's commitment to the democratic
process itself. It's scary to think that one of these knuckleheads gets to
win. California? Who said anything about California? I'm talking about the
Democrats' presidential primary."

- Columnist Michael Graham, Columbia Free Time, 9/3/03

***************************************
Citizen Outreach Fall Fundraising Drive

If you haven't done so already, I hope you'll consider kicking in a few
bucks to help us continue bringing you News & Views every day...your #1
source for information not generally found in your hometown newspaper.

Unlike the labor unions, we don't automatically take money out of your
paycheck to fund our activities.  And unlike the United Way, we don't twist
your arm and threaten your job or promotion if you don't give.  And unlike
Congress, we don't tax you to death (and beyond) to fund our efforts.

We just occasionally ask for a little VOLUNTARY financial help to keep us
going.

$5, $10, $20...whatever you can afford...will go a long way to helping us
continue to bring you our first-class e-newsletter, our weekly webcast
interviews with top policy experts on important current issues, our
Brushfire Alerts political action projects, our in-depth research on public
policy matters, our weekly online opinion polls...and much, much more.

And if you contribute $50 or more, we have a very special 9-11 commemorative
gift for you.  Just go to www.CitizenOutreach.com to make a secure online
contribution or mail your check to the address at the end of this
newsletter.  Thanks for your continued support.

Chuck Muth

*************************************
Wimpy Wepublicans

"A Honduran named Miguel Estrada came to the United States and made a
brilliant success of himself, but he also happened to be conservative, and
it wasn't clear how he stood on abortion. The uncertainty was enough for
Senate Democrats to squash him like a bug, using constitutionally dubious
means to deny him a judgeship.

".Sixty votes are needed to break a filibuster, so the Senate's
constitutional advise-and-consent role no longer means using a majority vote
to block someone demonstrably unqualified for the role. A minority of 41 can
stop a nominee, thus weakening the presidential prerogative of nomination.

"...Shame on the Democrats, but shame on the Republican senators and the
White House, too. The Republican senators could have changed the filibuster
rules on judicial nominees while keeping them intact elsewhere, or, as one
writer advised, they could have insisted on a real filibuster, not this new
kind in which no one actually stands up and talks for hours before the
Senate in a test of endurance and political guts."

- Columnist Jay Ambrose

***************************************
Frist Still Hesitates to "Go Nuclear"

"Senate Republicans remain unwilling to openly embrace drastic measures to
force confirmation of President Bush's judicial nominees, even in the wake
of losing the high-profile battle over Washington lawyer Miguel A. Estrada.
Asked if he would support using parliamentary procedures to force
confirmation of filibustered nominees in the future, Majority Leader Bill
Frist, Tennessee Republican, gave only murky responses.  'We still have many
options,' he said.

"...Among those options Mr. Frist skirted is the so-called 'nuclear option,'
where a bare majority of 51 Republicans could force a change in Senate rules
to eliminate the filibusters Democrats waged against Mr. Estrada and
continue to wage against two other federal court nominees."

- Washington Times, 9/7/03

***************************************
BRUSHFIRE ALERT:
Tell Sen. Frist to "Go Nuclear"

Republicans have been telling us since the Democrats started this judicial
filibuster crud not to worry; they have a plan.  Yeah, well the plan stinks.
We just suffered our first major casualty, Miguel Estrada, due to this wimpy
"plan."  Diplomatic measures have been a complete failure.  It's time for
Senate Majority Leader Frist to drop the legislative "big one" on Hillary
Clinton & Company to rid them of their weapon of mass obstruction.  Call
today...and tomorrow...and the next day, if necessary...and urge Sen. Frist
to "go nuclear."  Get all the details - including phone and email
addresses - from the "Brushfire Alert" page at www.citizenoutreach.com

***************************************
U.N. Fan Club

"As members of the U.N. Fan Club, liberals contend that United Nations
peacekeepers can stabilize Iraq better than the U.S. military. They believe
Kofi Annan is more committed and better equipped to defeat terrorism than
President Bush, and they want the U.N. Security Council, not the U.S.
Congress, to be the final arbiter on sending American troops into war.

"Sensing opportunity, Democrats are carping louder for their U.N. buddies to
take over Iraq. The head of the U.N. Fan Club is presidential hopeful and
former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean, whose condemnation of Iraq's liberation
knows no bounds. Mr. Dean appeals to a fringe group of Bush haters,
professional protesters and cyber-bums, who have only contempt for their
country and its defenders."

- Columnist Oliver North

***************************************
Know Thy Enemy

"President Bush should stop saying the terrorists hate freedom. They do not
think that way. They believe their twisted religion and evil application of
it are true freedom - for them and for all who worship their angry and
hard-to-appease god. They see us as living in decadent bondage.

".While we argue about the place of God in U.S. society, our enemies are not
so conflicted. They believe their god wants us dead. No amount of munitions,
money and Marines is going to stay these fanatics from their ordained
rounds. To them, death is victory. To us, it is tragedy. They are counting
on us not wanting to die. They welcome death as a promotion. They believe we
will cut and run if they can spill enough of our blood. We regard our blood
as precious. They see theirs as the currency of martyrdom."

- Columnist Cal Thomas

***************************************
Taking the Battle to the Enemy

"Imagine the date is Sept. 12, 2001. Ask yourself this question: Are you
willing to bet that two years will pass and there will not be another
terrorist attack on American soil?  I will wager that there is not one
person reading this column who would have made that bet two years ago.

"There is only one reason for this relative security that Americans enjoy.
It is not that the terrorists have given up their violent agendas or their
hatred for us. They have not. . . . There is one reason - and one reason
alone - that Americans have been safe for the almost two years since the
September 11 attacks.

"That reason is the aggressive war that President Bush and the U.S. military
have waged against international terrorism and its 'Axis of Evil.' The war
on terrorism has been fought in the streets of Kabul, Afghanistan, and
Baghdad instead of Washington and New York. By taking the battle to the
enemy camp, by making the terrorists the hunted instead of the hunters, Mr.
Bush and the U.S. military have kept Americans safe.

"...Now we are engaged in a war to drive the enemy into the ground. We have
taken or killed half of al Qaeda's leadership; we have destroyed the regime
of Saddam Hussein - harbor to terrorists and sponsor of suicide bombers -
and captured or killed 42 of its top 55 leaders."

- Columnist David Horowitz

***************************************
Tuesday Night on Always Right

In recognition of the second anniversary of the 9-11 terrorist attacks, my
guest this week will be Cliff May of the Foundation for the Defense of
Democracies (www.defenddemocracy.org) to discuss the ongoing war on
terrorism, the status of the Iraq war and America's Middle East foreign
policy as a whole.

Cliff is a veteran reporter and former foreign correspondent.  He also did a
stint at the Republican National Committee as its Director of
Communications.  He holds masters degrees from both Columbia University's
School of Public and International Affairs and its School of Journalism.  In
addition, he holds a certificate in Russian language and literature from the
University of Leningrad.  His opinion columns are published in newspapers
all across the country and he regularly appears on radio and television news
shows.

Tune in Tuesday at 8:00 p.m. EST (or catch the re-run at 11:00 p.m. EST) for
"Always Right with Chuck Muth" featuring Cliff May.  The link to listen in
is...

http://www.theotherradionetwork.com/srv1.asx

You can catch previous interviews on "Always Right" by visiting our archives
at www.CitizenOutreach.com

***************************************
911 and the Pledge

"September 18, 2001 was the first court hearing-day after the 9-11 attack.
I am just a county judge in a metro Atlanta suburb and decided from that day
forward to reinstitute the Pledge of Allegiance at the start of every court
day...and we have done so ever since.  Surprisingly, I found out that almost
no court in the country opens with the Pledge...and I was even asked by
attorneys if we were still allowed to do so.  From my research we still
are...and we even say the 'under God' part <g>.

"I think that this is a tradition that needs to be rekindled and if you deem
it worthwhile, I would solicit your assistance in calling for every court in
America holding hearings on September 11 to open with the Pledge of
Allegiance.  This seems like such a small thing...but it was a couple of
weeks after 9-11 before I could do this without fighting back tears, and I
suspect this anniversary will be no different."

- Charles Robertson, Chief Judge, Cherokee County Georgia Magistrate Court

***************************************
Baby, You Can Drive My Car

"(California) Gov. Gray Davis signed a bill granting driver's licenses to
illegal immigrants and told cheering supporters, many of them waving flags
from Central American countries, that they should be able to drive to jobs.

"...A group of conservative Republicans, including gubernatorial recall
candidate Sen. Tom McClintock, planned to launch a ballot initiative to
overturn the law, said Jeff Evans, a spokesman for a group called Save Our
License.  (Arnold) Schwarzenegger also said he would work to repeal the law
if Mr. Davis is recalled and voters chose the Republican actor to replace
him."

- Associated Press, 9/7/03

***************************************
It's the (Good) Economy, Stupid

"August was supposed to be a bad month, but stocks rose anyway. September is
supposed to be the worst month of the year, but stocks are surging anyway.
When will the bears wake up and smell the coffee? We're in a bull market. It
has legs."

- Economics columnist Lawrence Kudlow

**************************************
Democrats Blocking Road Out of Poverty

"Welfare rolls continue to shrink, but don't expect to hear Republicans get
any credit for the reform they championed and eventually pressured Bill
Clinton to sign into law in 1996. Just about the only topic that unites the
entire motley crew of Democratic presidential aspirants is the claim that
George W. Bush and Republicans in Congress are leading the nation to
disaster, both economically and militarily.

"...The successful welfare reform of 1996, known as the Temporary Assistance
for Needy Families program, or TANF, expired last year. And although passed
by the House, Senate Republicans have not been able to deliver passage in
the upper chamber. Last week, Assistant HHS Secretary Wade F. Horn pushed
for an update of the TANF law, saying, 'We know that full-time work is the
best route out of poverty.'  Democrats, however, are standing in the way."

- Washington Times editorial, 9/7/03

**************************************
Ropewalking:  THIS TUESDAY NIGHT!
Eat, Drink & Be Merry!

Borrowing an idea from Ben Franklin, the first get-together of the Charm
City Junto will convene for food, libations and stogies - mixed with a
healthy dose of political networking and information-sharing next Tuesday,
September 9th at the Ropewalk Tavern in historical Federal Hill in Baltimore
from 5:30 - 7:30 p.m.  Open to anyone and everyone who wants to stop by.  No
formal program, no admission fee and dress is casual.  Join fellow
right-wing conspiratorialists as we plot the overthrow of Big Brother,
cradle-to-grave nanny-state government!

The Ropewalk is located at 1209 S. Charles Street.  Just come to the antique
bar in the back. There's a parking garage just a half block away near the
Cross Street Market if you have trouble finding a spot on the street.  The
Ropewalk's phone number is (410) 727-1298.  You can get directions from
their website at:  http://ropewalktavern.com

If you know someone who might like to receive News & Views, you can sign 'em
up at:

http://www.chuckmuth.com/newsletter/

Published by Citizen Outreach
Chuck Muth
Editor/Publisher
611 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE, #439
Washington, DC  20003-4303
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Citizen Outreach is a 501(c)(3) non-profit public policy organization and
does not endorse candidates or lobby for specific legislation.  The opinions
and views expressed in Chuck Muth's News & Views reflect those of the
writers, editors and columnists therein and do not necessarily reflect the
opinions of Citizen Outreach, its officers, directors or employees.

To be REMOVED, go to: http://www.chuckmuth.com/remove/default.cfm
and complete the removal request instructions you'll find there. Or send
your request to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

# # #