If you are unable to view html within your email program please use the following link
to view Chuck Muth's latest News and Views: http://chuckmuth.com/newsandviews/nv.cfm

_____________________________________

LAST CHANCE

Only another day or so left to get your copy of the new "Liberty Calendar"
during our Winter Fundraising Drive.  Check it out at
www.citizenoutreach.com
_____________________________________

CPAC UPDATE

Cheney, First Lady appeal to GOP:
http://washingtontimes.com/national/20040122-104707-6441r.htm

Conservatives grumble over Bush's policies:
http://washingtontimes.com/national/20040122-104721-3989r.htm

Listen to CPAC coverage live on the web!

For a look at the schedule of speakers and panels, go to: www.cpac.org

To listen in live via the web, go to www.rightalk.com

ANOTHER GREAT LETTER

While we thoroughly enjoyed Hale DeMar's letter to the Wilmette town leaders
telling 'em to stick to planting trees and leave defending his home and
family to him and Smith & Wesson, another must-read letter emerged this
morning which blames President Bush for costing him his job and killing two
of his sons in Iraq...with a rather surprising twist at the end.  You gotta
read this one, too.  I've it posted on the News & Views website at:
http://www.chuckmuth.com/newsandviews/nv.cfm

IT'S SPELLED:  I-L-L-E-G-A-L

"The most compelling reason to oppose this latest amnesty effort, of course,
has to do with the rule of law. Amnesty for illegal aliens is simply a
reward for law-breaking. No system depending on a strict regard for the rule
of law can treat law-breaking so casually. Amnesty will be a magnet for
further illegal immigrants, who hope to be the future recipients of the
nation's 'compassion.' . . . Public opinion is firmly opposed to increased
immigration and amnesty for illegal aliens. . . . Amnesty not only
encourages illegal immigration, but contempt for the law as well."

- Edward J. Erler of the Claremont Institute

MUTH'S TRUTHS

Why are conservatives so ticked off at the President's amnesty...er,
"temporary worker" program?  Find out in this week's "Muth's Truths" at
www.citizenoutreach.com

LOOK FOR THE UNION LABEL...IF YOU CAN FIND IT

"The other big development (in the Iowa caucus) that sent disturbing signals
to the (Democrat) party was organized labor's failure to turn out the union
vote for Mr. Gephardt or Mr. Dean.  Mr. Gephardt had more labor endorsements
than anyone, but Mr. Dean had won support from several of the biggest unions
in the country. Neither were helped by them, despite thousands of union
volunteers working in their behalf in a big labor state. Mr. Gephardt drew
more than 15 percent of the vote in only 23 of Iowa's 99 counties.

"Labor's failure to turnout the vote for the candidates it has endorsed
suggests two things: Labor unions are no longer the political powers they
once were in election contests, union households no longer follow the
dictates of their union bosses in how they vote."

 - Columnist Donald Lambro

MY BIG, FAT UNION GOOSE-EGG

"Richard Gephardt's devastating fourth-place finish trumpeted the limits of
organized labor support.  Everyone knows union-backing is not enough
anymore.  But even in a caucus state, the strong endorsement of 21 labor
unions was not enough to turn out more than 11 percent of the 122,000 caucus
voters for Mr. Gephardt, resulting in zero national delegates."

- Columnist Maggie Gallagher

MIGHTY, MIGHTY INVISIBLE GROUND GAME

"Iowa Democrats also throttled the political engines of organized labor -
the bulk of which supported Mr. Dean or Rep. Richard Gephardt of Missouri.
That loud sound you hear is the collective head scratching of most political
pros around the country wondering what happened to the vaunted union 'ground
game.'

"'Our (labor) guys were nowhere to be seen,' said a Democrat who supported
Mr. Gephardt. For all the talk about this being a big fight between the new
services oriented unions such as (Service Employees International Union and
the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees) and 'old'
labor (Teamsters and the United Auto Workers), neither team apparently
showed up in full force.

"'This was a double loss for labor leaders,' a former Democrat hill staffer
told me. 'Not only did the two candidates they backed lose, but the majority
of rank-in-file labor union members supported (Senators) Kerry and Edwards.'
Some may ask who the labor bosses support if both Mr. Gephardt and Mr. Dean
implode; others may ask, 'Who cares?' "

- Columnist Gary J. Andres

THE (CAMPAIGN) DOCTOR IS IN!

NEW!  You can't change public policy if you don't change public officials.
So Citizen Outreach has established a separate website project dedicated to
helping under-funded, underdog campaigns...especially at the state and local
levels.  Visit today...and make sure you sign up for FREE email "hot tips"
on how to get more votes, more money and more volunteers for your campaign
or grassroots organization.  Go to:  www.campaigndoctor.com

SOTU FELL FLAT

"I like President Bush. I'll probably vote for him in November. However, his
State of the Union speech was probably the least inspiring speech I have
heard in a long time. Mr. Bush failed to offer any real vision for the
future. What he gave us instead was a shopping list of election-year
gimmicks, most of which are simply wasteful spending; some are even harmful.

"One proposal I especially hate is the one about drug testing our children
in school. I would much rather teach our children about our nation's history
and government, as well as our civil rights. Instead, we are teaching our
children to shut up and submit to being drug tested, X-rayed, videotaped and
searched without any kind of warrant or probable cause. When are we going to
teach our children about the rights and freedoms guaranteed in the
Constitution?"

- Michael K. Magner of Virginia Beach (VA), Washington Times, 1/22/04

IT'S THE SPENDING, STUPID

"If conservatives like the (President's) tax cuts and agree their effect was
to powerfully stimulate the economy, as Mr. Bush said (in the State of the
Union address), the conservatives don't much like the runaway spending that
can be only partially explained by the war on terrorism. . . . Indeed, if it
is still a conservative principle to stand for limited government, you have
to wonder why the president wants to keep adding one program on top of
another to supposedly correct our private lives.

"...I think a great many conservatives today do fear either that political
considerations too often override Mr. Bush's conservative principles or that
his principles are not all that conservative after all.  The conservatism
that is most compassionate, some of us think, is a conservatism that fights
to have the government leave us alone to live our own lives without
encumbrances that finally serve no one's good."

- Columnist Jay Ambrose

CONSERVATIVE REVOLT

"Conservatives on Capitol Hill and around the country have complained about
the increases in domestic spending during Mr. Bush's administration that
exceed those of his Democratic predecessor, Bill Clinton.  Rep. Sue Myrick,
North Carolina Republican and chairman of the Republican Study Committee,
urged the president yesterday to show spending restraint.  'Conservatives
believe that the entire cost of new initiatives ought to be offset with
other reductions in spending,' Mrs. Myrick said."

- Washington Times, 1/22/04

MAYBE A STEP IN RIGHT DIRECTION

The Bush administration leaked word today that it intends to "freeze"
discretionary spending to less than a 1 percent increase for federal
spending not related to defense or homeland security.  While we surely
welcome such a move, what do you want to bet Congress finds a way to declare
the construction of a $50 million indoor tropical rain forest in Iowa a
"homeland security" priority?  Watch these people, folks. They're slippery.
Don't trust 'em as far as you can throw 'em.   Read the full story HERE:

http://washingtontimes.com/national/20040122-113950-1435r.htm
_______________________________________

THIS WEEK ON THE DISCUSSION BOARD

State of the Union Address
Democrat Primary
Omnibus Spending Bill
Bush & His Base
Immigration Nation

Weigh in. Share your opinion.  Comment.  Inter-activate.  Just go to:
http://blog.chuckmuth.com/blog/

Chuck Muth's News & Views is published by Citizen Outreach, a non-partisan,
501(c)3 non-profit corporation. The opinions and views expressed in Chuck
Muth's News & Views reflect those of the writers, editors and columnists
therein and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Citizen Outreach, its
officers, directors or employees.

Published by: Citizen Outreach
Chuck Muth
Editor/Publisher
611 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE, #439
Washington, DC 20003-4303
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To be REMOVED, go to:
http://www.chuckmuth.com/remove/default.cfm

Or send your request to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To make a secure PayPal contribution to Citizen Outreach, click HERE:

https://www.paypal.com/xclick/business=donations%40citizenoutreach.com&item_name=Citizen+Outreach+-+Liberty+Calendar+2&return=http%3A//citizenoutreach.com&cancel_return=http%3A//www.citizenoutreach.com&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD