If you are unable to view html within your email program please use the following link
to view Chuck Muth's latest News and Views: http://chuckmuth.com/newsandviews/nv.cfm

___________________________________

EXTRA!  EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT...

There’s a new “Smoke Screen” update on News & Views EXTRA today, including my "rant"
to a reader who STILL thinks they have a right to come into MY restaurant and tell ME
whether or not I can allow smoking in MY restaurant.  My tolerance and patience for
un-thinking people who just don’t “get” this is completely exhausted...but at least I
refrained from using any four-letter words.  Catch it at:
http://www.chuckmuth.com/newsandviews/nv.cfm
_____________________________________

SURVEY SAYS!

Do you agree with the 9th Circuit Court decision telling the federal government it
can’t block voter-approved assisted suicide in the state of Oregon?

*  Yes
*  No
*  Not sure

Cast your vote by clicking the “Survey Says!” tab at www.citizenoutreach.com

MEMORIAL DAY

Most people don't seem to know there are more than 100 national cemeteries around the
United States (http://www.cem.va.gov/index.htm). Nearly every one will have public
services this Memorial Day weekend. . . . Memorial Day itself has been a holiday in
decline from its original purpose, the honoring of the nation's war dead, an idea born
in the internal sorrows of the Civil War. . . . More recently, this day at the end of
May has become a Monday off and a chance to prepare for summer. . . . Much of the
politicking around Iraq is rather nasty just now. And there will be more of it. For a
minute this Memorial Day weekend, ponder the simple individual nobility held forever
in those 120 national cemeteries.”

- Dan Henninger of the Wall Street Journal

BREAK OUT THE STRAIGHT-JACKET

“It is now clear that Al Gore is insane.  I don't mean that his policy ideas are
insane, though many of them are. I mean that based on his behavior, conduct, mien and
tone over the past two days, there is every reason to believe that Albert Gore Jr.,
desperately needs help. I think he needs medication, and I think that if he is already
on medication, his doctors need to adjust it or change it entirely."

- New York Post columnist John Podhoretz

THE THANKS WE GET FOR PLAYING NICE

“Yesterday, there was  news of a truce brokered between the coalition and this
murderous thug terrorist al-Sadr in Najaf. . . . Today, insurgents attacked U.S.
forces and a U.S. military base outside Najaf.  The base was hit with nine mortars,
while U.S. forces near Kufa were attacked with rocket-propelled grenades.  This is the
thanks we get for showing restraint.  When are we going to learn our lesson here?

“It used to be the policy of the United States that we did not negotiate with
terrorists. . . . The United States military should immediately start attacking
military targets in Najaf until it receives the unconditional surrender of al-Sadr and
his goons.  Only then will peace be achieved, through a military victory.  Iraq could
use some more parking anyway.”

- Talk show host Neal Boortz, 5/28/04

PARDON ME

“The South Dakota Supreme Court ordered the disclosure of 214 sealed pardons issued by
former Governor Bill Janklow (R). State newspapers sued to have the records opened.
The records revealed that Janklow secretly pardoned his son-in-law for two drunk
driving convictions and an unrelated drug offense. He also pardoned another close
friend and former top state official for a DUI conviction. . . . Janklow was elected
to Congress in 2002, but resigned after his 2003 conviction for vehicular
manslaughter. He was released from jail two weeks ago and placed on probation after
serving his 100-day sentence.”

- Ron Gunzburger, Politics1, 5/28/04

PUBLIC SCHOOL INSANITY

suspended for 10-days for including a steak knife in a shoe box as part of his
show-and-tell project of what one would take on a camping trip, a News & Views reader
wrote:

“Come on Chuck. If I tell my kid he's grounded and can't talk on the phone for a week
and he does it anyway, I have to back up my statement. If you tell a child not to
bring a knife to school or he gets a 10-day suspension, and he does it anyway, what
choice does the school have?”

Now, it seemed insane to me that a sane person could come up with such an insane
excuse for such insanity.  Then it hit me like a ton of bricks!  So, on a hunch, I
asked this person if he worked for a public school system.

What do YOU think?

MORE PUBLIC SCHOOL INSANITY

“A 13-year-old Denver girl...Courtney Glowczewski has a small right arm and leg
because of cerebral palsy, a disability that her teachers say has not kept her from
working hard in school and being a good student. . . . But her physical appearance has
made her a target of taunting and of physical attack, which she said has never been
addressed by the administration at Martin Luther King Middle School.

“Last week, she said the bullying got worse when she said she was threatened and
assaulted by a seventh grade boy.  ‘He pulled out a knife, a silver knife, a pocket
knife, and then he said 'What!?' So I was scared and didn't know what to do,’ said
Glowczewski.  As she walked to her seat she smelled smoke and one of her classmates
was patting her hard on the back.  ‘I looked and there was a black spot on the back of
my shirt. And then I saw some black hair falling from my hair,’ said Glowczewski.  Her
hair was on fire and the other student said that she was trying to help put it out.

“Her mother, Sherrie, was called to school when her daughter reported the incident to
the assistant principal.  Sherrie Glowczewski was outraged when she was told by the
administration at Martin Luther King that her daughter didn't need to come back and
not to worry about the tests.  ‘I just wanted to go to a school that doesn't make fun
of me. I wanted to be treated with respect,’ Glowczewski said, crying.

“...7NEWS discovered that while Glowczewski was sent home, her alleged attacker is
still in school, even though administrators confirmed he had a knife.  The principal
has now admitted her staff did not call police, did not interview potential witnesses,
and did not conduct a proper investigation.”

- TheDenverChannel.com, 5/26/04

LIBERTARIAN PARTY CONVENES IN ATLANTA

The Libertarian Party convention is this weekend, and one of the speakers will be our
favorite congressman, Rep. Ron Paul, Texas Republican, who is introduced in an LP
press release thusly:

“Dubbed ‘Dr. No’ for his principled ‘no’ vote against any government program not
specifically authorized by the Constitution, Paul is held up as an example of how
Libertarians would govern if elected.”

Actually, here’s how the sentence SHOULD read:  “...Paul is an example of how
libertarian-leaning candidates can get elected so they have an OPPORTUNITY to govern.”

Again, Ron Paul is a registered Republican.  There are NO registered Libertarian Party
members serving in Congress.  And there never have been.  And I don’t think the LP can
boast of a single state legislator these days, either.  As a political party, they
sure make a great lampshade.  Pity for the country.  We could use more Ron
Pauls...from whatever party.

TODAY ON THE DISCUSSION BOARD

Well, now the shoe’s on the other foot.

The National Association of Mental Health (NMHA), the country’s oldest and largest
mental health association, announced this week that PFOX (Parents & Friends of
Ex-Gays) can’t have a booth at next month’s convention in Washington, DC., saying the
PFOX’s principles aren’t in line with the association’s core mission.  PFOX believes
that homosexuality is wrong and promotes “reparative” or “corrective” therapy designed
to get gays to stop being gay.

Consistency Check:  Last week, the North Carolina Republican Party banned the Log
Cabin Republicans - a conservative organization of gay Republicans - from their
convention.  For those who supported the NC GOP’s decision, do you also support the
decision to exclude the anti-gay PFOX group from the NMHA convention?  And for those
who opposed the NC GOP’s decision, do you also oppose NMHA’s exclusionary decision?
Join the Discussion Board on this subject by surfing over to:
http://blog.chuckmuth.com/blog/

Chuck Muth’s News & Views is published by Citizen Outreach, a non-partisan, 501(c)3
non-profit corporation. The opinions and views expressed in Chuck Muth's News & Views
reflect those of the writers, editors and columnists therein and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Citizen Outreach, its officers, directors or employees.

Published by: Citizen Outreach
Chuck Muth
Editor/Publisher
611 Pennsylvania Avenue, SE, #439