If you are unable to view html within your email program please use the following link
to view Chuck Muth's latest News and Views: http://chuckmuth.com/newsandviews/nv.cfm

Dear News & Views Reader:

I know many of you are big Alan Keyes fans and have written me asking how you could
help him in his campaign for the U.S. Senate in Illinois.  Please find below a special
message from Dr. Keyes telling you how to do just that. Please read his letter below.

Thank you.

Dear Friend:

I received THOUSANDS of calls, letters, and emails urging me to accept the Illinois
Republican Party's nomination for the United States Senate. I am humbled and honored
by your overwhelming pledges of support in this endeavor.  After careful deliberation,
and on the strength of deep and contemplative prayer, I have decided to accept this
nomination.

But I'm going to need your help NOW.

https://secure.cartlight.com/merchant/keyes/donation.php?afid=muth

When I was first approached with the offer to run for the Senate in Illinois, I was
hesitant to agree, since I am not from the state. However, when all of these friends
of mine sent me information on the unopposed Democrat candidate, Barack Obama, I
agreed that it just seemed wrong that somebody with his record should kind of waltz
into the United States Senate unopposed.

Like most Americans, I didn't know much about Barack Obama other than what I saw when
he was a keynote speaker at the Democratic national convention. And though he looked
to me like a pretty standard liberal with whom I disagree about most everything, I
have to say that from the way he came across at the convention, he didn't seem to me
to be some rabid threat to the future of the country. He looked like a pretty likable
guy. Certainly intelligent and articulate.  And I saw no particular reason to believe
that I should leave Maryland, the home of my family and my heritage, in order to go
and oppose him in this race.

And then I looked at his record, and what did I find?

I found somebody who, as we would expect from the kind of liberalism he professes, has
never seen a spending bill he couldn't find some excuse for, and has never seen a tax
increase he didn't like.

I found somebody who, in the tradition of a lot of liberals, would prefer that our
children were educated in schools controlled by impersonal bureaucracy, rather than in
schools under the influence and control of the parents who love them and care about
their future.

I found someone who appears to believe that even when a violent criminal has entered
into the sacred precinct of your home with intentions you couldn't possibly fathom,
you don't have the right to defend your life and the lives of the people in your
family!

And as you might expect with someone who won't defend the right of citizens to defend
themselves under the Second Amendment, he doesn't seem to understand the necessity
that when terrorists and others come against the people of this country, the President
of the United States has an obligation to act upon intelligence that suggests there
are threats and dangers to the American people!

And I'll tell you clearly and unequivocally. By the time I got through those parts of
his record, I was absolutely convinced that SOMEBODY had to run against Barack Obama!

Please help this campaign:

https://secure.cartlight.com/merchant/keyes/donation.php?afid=muth

I'll also tell you quite clearly and unequivocally that if those had been the only
points of difference between us, it would not have been me!

What finally caught my eye, however, and what we have to spend some time thinking
through so that we will understand -- not just the significance of the decision I have
taken, but the significance of this election overall -- what we have to look at is
what finally, fully arrested my attention and forced me to consider whether I not only
had the opportunity to oppose him, but the obligation.

And that was when I learned that in April 2002, Obama had cast a vote that would
continue to allow LIVE BIRTH ABORTIONS in the state of Illinois.

It's very important that you understand what I'm talking about.  We are talking about
a situation in which, in the course of an abortion procedure, a child has been born
alive -- she is out of the womb, breathing and living on her own -- and Obama cast a
vote AGAINST the idea that that child's life should be spared. Obama's position and
his vote would make it legal to condemn that innocent babe to death!

Now, some may see in this only an issue of sentiment and emotion, but I have to tell
you that this involves an issue of the deepest principle for the people of Illinois --
and for our nation as a whole.

And those issues of deep principle are actually the only valid reasons for limiting or
otherwise tempering our respect for and allegiance to the sovereignty and rights of
the states.  I say that with confidence in the Land of Lincoln, for it is the lesson
taught to us by the statesmanship of Abraham Lincoln.

In the 19th century, rather than accept a course that would have vitiated and
destroyed the principles of our national union, Lincoln opposed Stephen Douglas in
debates, in order to maintain a posture for this nation that would produce the
extinction of slavery rather than the extinction of our great national creed.

He accepted the awful prospect, even of a civil war, because he understood that
federalism is, in fact, truly reflected in the state motto of Illinois: "State
Sovereignty, National Union."

And for the sake of the principles that define our union, the war came.

Now, Lincoln also understood that those principles were peculiarly involved as the
cause of the war. He said so in that eloquent address which has come down to us
through the ages and which is now one of the most renown pronouncements of any
statesman in the history of the earth:

"Fourscore and seven years ago our forefathers brought forth on this continent a new
nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created
equal.  Now we are engaged in a great civil war to test whether that nation or any
nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure."

Do you remember those words?

This is important, because we hear them, but sometimes I think we forget that for the
sake of that idea, for the sake of those words, for the sake of those principles, this
nation was bathed in blood, tens of thousands lost their lives in what remains to this
day in human life the costliest war that America has ever seen or participated in.

Why did he do it? Because he believed that, even at the cost of such a terrible
struggle, our allegiance to the principles of our national union must be preserved.

Now, what are those principles? They're stated in our great Declaration of
Independence, the document from which he quoted: "All men are created equal and
endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights."

We know, we KNOW, that that great principle involves our claim to rights. We must
remember that that great principle also involves our respect for the authority of our
Creator!

When Barack Obama embraces an extremist position on abortion that countenances even
the murder of living young children outside the womb, he abandons the principles of
our Declaration, and destroys the foundations of our national union!

When he refuses to stand forward in support of those measures now critically essential
to defend that family which, ordained of God -- the married, one-man/one-woman family
that is the dictate of God's authority -- when he refuses to support those measures
that defend the existence of that family, he abandons the principle of our respect for
that authority from which our unalienable rights have come.

We MUST stop Barack Obama from promulgating his extremist positions in the U.S. Senate
-- PLEASE help now:

https://secure.cartlight.com/merchant/keyes/donation.php?afid=muth

Since the days of my youth, when I first encountered the terrible reality of slavery
and the suffering and oppression that my ancestors have gone through, I have been
preoccupied with the question of justice that was involved in that heinousinstitution.

And I will say clearly here that without the influence of the principles of the
Declaration, slavery would not have been abolished. Without the influence of the
principles of the  Declaration, the Civil Rights movement would not have succeeded.
Without the principles of the Declaration, we would not have seen advances in workers'
rights and women's rights and the protection of the rights of our innocent young.

We cannot as a nation, we cannot as a people, afford to abandon the great principles
that have been the foundation of our liberty and that have made our nation strong, and
great, and free!

And I believe that, for the sake of those principles, for the sake of their
preservation, for the sake of their defense, for the sake of that allegiance and
reverence without which we shall not remain a self-governing people, I am morally
obligated to leave the land of my forebears in order to defend the land of my spirit
and my conscience and my heart.

And I believe that that land is Illinois -- the Land of Lincoln.

I make to the voters of Illinois, and all those watching this race in the coming
months, just one promise: I will conduct a campaign, a fight of principle, worthy of
your support. All those with whom I share core convictions regarding life and liberty,
faith, family and freedom; all those who are committed to American renewal and the
revitalization of this Republic -- we all, in the extraordinary circumstances of this
contest, are confronted with a great challenge. Yet, we are also thereby presented
with a great opportunity.

Now, there are those that would say that at this point I should, with resounding hope,
promise you victory. But I'll be frank with you. We face a great challenge, not just
because I face an opponent with a bit of a head start, and whose party has attempted
already to export him to national leadership.  We also face a great challenge because
many Americans have forgotten -- or have never been taught -- the essential principles
of responsible self-government.

But I will tell you what I will promise. I will promise you a fight with the HOPE of
Victory!

And if you are willing to join me in that fight, to join me with your money, to join
me with your work, to join me, especially, with your prayer, then I will promise you a
political contest like this nation has not seen for generations!

I cannot do this alone. We are going to need all the help, all the heart, and all the
financial commitment you can muster. Our cause requires -- and, in fact, demands -- no
less. Various political allies are fundraising on my campaign's behalf, and I greatly
appreciate their efforts.  Please click through now to my friends at
KeyesForSenate.com with the best contribution for Keyes 2004 that you can offer:

https://secure.cartlight.com/merchant/keyes/donation.php?afid=muth

The battle is for us. But I have confidence, because the victory is for God.

Thank you, and God bless you.

Keep Faith,

Alan Keyes

P.S.  There's less than THREE MONTHS until the November election. Obviously, the
single biggest obstacle facing the Keyes for Senate campaign is lack of time.

It takes time to get a message out. And in this particular campaign, message is
everything -- in a race that pits an extreme, even radical liberal against my life's
work of defending our founders' vision for America.

Lack of time, however, can be compensated by ample funds -- which are vital to
communicating a campaign's message. So if you've been wondering what you can do to
help the campaign, consider an immediate donation -- as large as you can make!

The Keyes campaign needs every available contribution at this point to make up for
lost time. Individuals can give up to $2000 per person.

Don't hesitate. Do it now, if you possibly can!

https://secure.cartlight.com/merchant/keyes/donation.php?afid=muth

Also, ask your friends, and everyone on your e-mail list (or website), to do the same.
And be sure to sign up for activist e-mail updates at this grassroots site:
www.KeyesForSenate.com and for campaign news at the campaign website, Keyes2004.com.
Thank you!

(Under FEC law, the maximum legal contribution per election is $2,000 per person.
Individuals may give $2,000 each to the primary and general elections. Couples may
give up to $4,000 from common funds for the primary and general elections, but both
signatures must be on the account. Contributions to Keyes 2004 are not considered
deductible for federal income tax purposes. No corporate funds are accepted.)

Authorized and paid for by Keyes2004, Inc.