Signed by and Imposed by USA After WWII

Paul R Lehto, Juris Doctor
lehto.p...@gmail.com

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

According to a ruling by Germany's highest court yesterday,
computerized voting machines used by 2 million of Germany's 5 million
voters in 2005's parliamentary elections are unconstitutional because
they are not in line with democratic standards and principles --
especially the "publicity" of the vote counting (i.e. transparency,
visibility).  The court added that "specialized technical knowledge"
may not be demanded of observing citizens, and that
government-defined checks or audits are no substitute for the
constitutional requirement of publicity via observation.

The ruling of Germany's highest court affirmed the principles
required for a constitutional voting system that makes
Self-Government possible, which include the following tests:

1.      No "specialized technical knowledge" can be required of
citizens to vote or to monitor vote counts.  (This is a simple
application of democracy's equality principle combined with an
aversion to an aristocracy of experts.)

2.      The constitutional requirement of a publicly observed count.
(The court noted that the government substitution of its own check or
what we'd probably call an "audit" is no substitute at all for public
observation or "publicity" - the term of art favored by Founders of
the USA.)

3.      A paper trail simply does not suffice to meet the above
standards, the court states in its ruling on the NEDAP system used in
the 2005 elections.

4.      CONCLUSION: As a result of these principles, a source in
Ireland concludes that "all independent observers" conclude that
"electronic voting machines [are totally] banned in Germany" because
no conceivable computerized voting system can cast and count votes
that meet the twin requirements of publicity:  being both
"observable" and also not requiring specialized technical knowledge.

Sources: European media (links at bottom.)

Consequently, the 2009 elections in June and September may not use
existing machines and will be on paper, hand counted.

The March 3 ruling interprets the German Constitution, which became
effective right after the December 10, 1948 passage date of the
Universal Declaration of Human Rights by the United Nations.  Soon
thereafter, Germany's new Constitution "came into effect May 23,
1949, with the signature of the Allies," specifically including the
United States.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grundgesetz (paragraph
one)

Approval of the German Constitution by the United States and
occupying powers was conditional on two non-negotiable terms: (1)
Complete rejection of master race theory and with it the treatment of
other groups with barbarism or worse, and (2) an unequivocal
commitment to the inviolability and inalienability of human rights.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grundgesetz , At "Drafting Process"

Inviolability and inalienability together mean never to be violated
and incapable of being forfeited or lost.  The human rights having
this status, which the United States absolutely insisted on for
Germany, and signed off on, specifically include genuine elections.
Under Article 21 of the Universal Declaration, "human rights"
includes "freely chosen" elections measuring the "genuine" "will" of
the people, which is "the basis of the authority of government." and
"Free" or "genuine" elections are ones with "universal suffrage" that
are free from force, fraud or other tampering, so that the genuine
will of the people is heard in the totals. See
http://www.un.org/Overview/rights.html

Without publicity and observable elections, at best Democracy is in a
top secret detention camp in an unknown condition or status. But even
prisoners of war have the right to Red Cross visitation.

In the face of principles that overwhelmingly crush them, vendors of
computerized voting machines are attempting to claim solace, citing
that the court 'in principle' did not outlaw all computers.

This is misleading, because courts are required not to make
peremptory or "advisory" rulings on cases not before them, but they
instead focus on the immediate case (NEDAP and 2005) and often recite
that they are not prejudging other cases.   Consequently, the
reported comments of a single judge (Herr Vossruhle) to the effect
that the opinion itself doesn't ban all computerized voting is
technically correct but misleading in that the case is precedent and
the principles laid down by it which must be applied in future cases
make computerized voting impossible.  Predicting the legal future is
precisely where judges are forbidden from going, but exactly where
lawyers advising clients go every day, and it is also where citizens
must go, in order to follow the law.  Nobody needs a lawyer to apply
the principle holdings of the case to potential new computerized
systems.

Simply put, by the application of Reason to those principles that are
now precedent, it is  readily seen the principles will result in
successful challenges to any future computerized voting system that's
implemented, even if they are not yet "banned" as a class because
that was not the case before the court. All e-voting is secret vote
counting on hard drives using invisible electrons, and even "open
source" computing requires specialized computer knowledge, therefore
all computerized vote recordation and computerized vote counting is
impermissible as a class.

The principles strongly affirmed by Germany's highest court, I
emphasize, make it impossible that a computerized vote recordation or
count can ever be valid under the law of any REAL democracy of
self-government.

Some may yearn for the United States to be like Germany's court, but
the truth is, the American public is still ahead of Germany, it is
only our government and media that is not.  The media simply doesn't
report the facts below, and so we don't "see" each other, or feel our
collective strength.  Yet, here are the uncontested facts about
American public opinion, which should be read with the question in
mind: "How can anyone in Washington DC possibly justify ignoring the
rights asserted by close to 92% of all Americans?"

1.  Polling by Zogby International that I commissioned in August 2006
and paid for with help from Nancy Tobi and Michael Collins, showing
that 92% of Americans agreed that "Citizens have the right to view
and obtain information about how election officials count votes."
(link at bottom)

2.  Similar high numbers, even when the question is strengthened to
emphasize corporate "intellectual property rights" have confirmed the
original poll results.  For example, an exit poll via telephone in
November 2006 done by Zogby professionals in consultation with this
author in a traditionally conservative California congressional
district still reported support for the Right of observable counts
exceeding 80%.

The six percent in the original nationwide poll that apparently did
not agree that observing vote counts was specifically a "right"
should not be assumed to support vendors or oppose conditions
necessary for self-government.  These respondents may well have
fallen for a common confusion upon observing that present day vote
counts haven't been transparent for a while:  This confusion is
namely confusing the violation of a right with the non-existence of
the same right.

To illustrate this critical point, anything valuable, including a
valuable right or a valuable car, is subject to being stolen.
However, even if something's "gone," if the right to have it is
violated one may justly pursue return of, one's right to vote or to
property, but if the right doesn't exist, then there is no hope for a
just return of that vote or that property.  If the right doesn't
exist, then reclaiming your own stolen car would just be "stealing it
back."  Thus, with important rights, even if they're violated for
long periods of time (as with slavery) they simply become all the
more infamous, but they never become Justice itself, just abuses
under cloak of law.  As LBJ's Attorney General put it "A right is not
what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you" because
that would be Wrong, not Right.

The whole idea of the Declaration of Independence is to protect
rights from becoming political footballs by keeping them outside the
scope of legitimate government tinkering or manipulation.  These
inalienable rights are beyond "all mortal power" to modify, so if
these rights were in the Constitution they would be, by definition,
apparently modifiable via amendment by Congress and _ of the state
legislatures.  Thus, our most important rights, like the right of
self government, the right to have children, rights of (at least)
traditional marriage, the right to vote, and the right to
information/knowledge are all so fundamental to a free society they
are inalienable.  Because governments exist to guarantee fundamental
rights, not to grant them, the US Supreme Court has long recognized
these as fundamental constitutional rights, the debate has
historically been over discrimination in who precisely gets to
exercise those rights - an Equality debate.

The German high court as well as the American people totally get it:
To secure freedom we must have publicly observed vote counts without
needing specialized knowledge, or else at the very moment when we
most need our vote (to kick out corrupt incumbents) we are the least
likely to have a meaningful, guaranteed right to vote.

The right to vote has always included with it the right to have that
vote counted properly, without which the right to vote is rendered
meaningless.  This is the perfect example of something so obvious to
Founders (who often voted openly by raising hands) that it wouldn't
occur to them that later generations would be so deluded to think
that giant holes were placed in the Constitution because it is silent
on the issue of secret vote counts, or that the arrival of new
technology like computers requires the Constitution to be amended to
comply with the technology, instead of technology being required to
adapt to and serve democracy and the Constitution.

The decision is astounding and miraculous, and yet also, at the very
same time, as obvious as the Emperor's missing clothes.
Self-government, to be meaningful, requires that voters control the
election process and watch it as necessary like sentinels of liberty.

To have the former Nazi Germany recognize that technology is the
servant of We the People and not our master, is as stirring and
historic as having an African-American elected from the Land of
Lincoln, if not more so. A President can only serve two terms, while
principles of democracy are timeless.

Luckily for the world, Germany's experience with fascism is recent
and powerful and concluded by defeat such that they clearly
distinguish how tyranny parades as "perfectly legal."

Now we must insist on applying the principles inherent and necessary
for self-government, as the German High Court did, recognizing that
to compromise a fundamental right is the same as to violate and steal
that right.  We are now insisting that our government learn the
principled lessons we ourselves imposed at Nuremburg, from the German
Constitution we helped draft, and We are saying to ourselves, each
other, and especially to our public servants, Never Again.

There are some things governments simply can never do, even in times
of war: genocide, torture, slavery, mistreatment of prisoners, and
terminating elections -- or reserving to itself the power change any
election it doesn't like - which is the functional equivalent of
termination of elections.  Computerized secret vote counting allows
the change of any election government doesn't like, so Lincoln's
maxim applies: "Important principles may and must be inflexible."

Or, if vigilant demands in defense of freedom and democracy is not
your style, we can instead all get on our knees and beg for at least
the mercy and justice given to conquered Nazi Germans after World War
II (the German Constitution) signed by the United States of America.

================ ===================

PO Box #1
Ishpeming, MI  49849
lehto.p...@gmail.com
This article is (c) 2009 by Paul R Lehto, but may be forwarded and/or
posted freely with attribution and all links and footnotes attached,
so long as it is on a not for profit basis.

The Decision (in German):
http://www.bundesverfassungsgericht.de/entscheidungen/cs20090303_2bvc000307.html
(English translation due out in a day or two)

Excerpts from European and American based media outlets:

International Herald Tribune:
"Federal Constitutional Court upheld two complaints about the use of
the machines in 2005. It found they violated provisions requiring
that voters be able to assure themselves - without specific technical
knowledge - that their vote was recorded correctly."
<http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/03/03/europe/EU-Germany-Voting-Machines.phphttp://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/03/03/europe/EU-Germany-Voting-Machines.php

IT Examiner:
"The court made it clear that a simple print-out or flashy icon
displaying what party or person was voted for is not enough. / Not
only that, any constraint on the people's right to know cannot be
alleviated by having a state institution check machines to make sure
they have not been tampered with."
<http://www.itexaminer.com/voting-machines-outlawed-in-germany.aspxhttp://www.itexaminer.com/voting-machines-outlawed-in-germany.aspx

Radio Netherlands reports that elections later this year must be on
pencil and paper, counted publicly.
<http://www.radionetherlands.nl/news/international/6199272/Germany-rejects-computer-votinghttp://www.radionetherlands.nl/news/international/6199272/Germany-rejects-computer-voting

"[Plaintiffs] complained that push button voting was not transparent
because the voter could not see what actually happened to his vote
inside the computer and was required to place "blind faith" in the
technology."
<http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,4069101,00.htmlhttp://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,4069101,00.html

Here's a link to the national Zogby poll official press release
expressing an apparently unprecedented 92% level of support for the
proposition that Americans have "the right to observe vote counting
and obtain any and all information about vote counting"
<http://www.zogby.com/news/readnews.cfm?ID=1163http://www.zogby.com/news/readnews.cfm?ID=1163

An op-ed I wrote that puts the 92% figure in context, it's higher
support than Bush's approval after 9-11, approval ratings for anyone
(ever), higher than the percentage of people who wouldn't mind having
a personal tax cut, etc., or who can do long division:
<http://www.opednews.com/articles/genera_paul_leh_060823_zogby_poll_3a__strong_.htmhttp://www.opednews.com/articles/genera_paul_leh_060823_zogby_poll_3a__strong_.htm

The detailed demographics and cross tabs for this specific question are at:
http://www.voterconfidencecommittee.org/Documents-Static/Zogby8-23-06.pdf

More discussion at:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x5180310

This article is (c) 2009 by Paul R Lehto but may be freely forwarded
with all links and contact or posted for any nonprofit purpose, all
other rights reserved. Contact author at lehto.p...@gmail.com for
commercial purposes, to inquire.