Hi all,

Another site that offers some of this info, in a user-friendly way ,and as an
app for iOS or Android, is https://www.ventusky.com/.

Thanks for all the cool discussion,
Andy Horn
Halifax, Nova Scotia

On Oct 4, 2020, at 11:26 AM, Bryan Guarente
<bryan.guare...@gmail.com<mailto:bryan.guare...@gmail.com>> wrote:

John (and others),
For the easternmost third of North America, 850hPa can be too high, that's
true.  Looking at a level like 950 or 925hPa would be really useful for you in
Nova Scotia (or any coastal location).  Yet this isn't available on
earth.nullschool.net<http://earth.nullschool.net/>. If you wanted to see the
different levels of winds between 1000hPa and 850hPa, you could go to
windy.com<https://www.windy.com/-Cloud-base-cbase?950h,cbase,44.719,-63.812,6>.
 Here you can adjust vertical levels with a little more granularity AND you can
also turn on cloud bases which would be helpful for NFC predictions (lower
cloud bases = better probability of hearing calls).  You cannot, however, go
backwards in time (as far as I know) to see previous dates that were of
interest to you.

Overall, the forecasted winds from computer models can be useful for prediction
of migration changes as well as when concentrations of birds will be higher in
a given area or not.  What Chris had the other
day<https://earth.nullschool.net/#2020/09/18/0300Z/wind/isobaric/850hPa/orthographic=-77.30,42.81,960/loc=-76.383,42.485>
 was a great example of the winds coming from an appropriate origin, a large
scale convergence pattern for his area, and likely lower cloud bases with the
passage of the weak cold front. The speed of the front helped as well, making
the event last longer over his area as birds were likely piled up at the
frontal boundary itself since the wind shift on the opposite side of the front
was not conducive for migrants.

Thanks,
Bryan

Bryan Guarente
Meteorologist/Instructional Designer
UCAR/The COMET Program
Boulder, CO

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 11:26 AM John Kearney