-------- Original Message --------
Subject:        Re: Wind farm/bird collision solution in Texas
Date:   Sun, 3 May 2009 12:03:22 -0400
From:   Bill Evans <wrev...@clarityconnect.com>
To:     <cayugabird...@cornell.edu>, "John and Sue Gregoire" <k...@empacc.net>

This radar scam appears to be in full service as a PR campaign well before
any critical peer-review of its effectiveness.

Bird migration in the coastal bend of Texas is going on 24/7 for 9 months a
year. It is true that a radar system can detect flying animals and wind
turbines might therefore be shutdown on nights with some predetermined
density of migration. But the combination of the protracted breadth of
migration in the Texas coastal bend and the massive quantity of birds
traversing this region (possibly the densest annual bird migration rate in
all of the Americas) is not likely to make such radar measures effective for
anything other than PR.

It simply doesn't make sense economically or environmentally to build large
commercial wind farms in locations where dense migrations would necessitate
them to be shut off for significant periods. This was a hideous location for
a wind project from the bird impact standpoint, a terrible precedent for the
wind industry, and a testament to the ineffiveness of our Government (Fish &
Wildlife Service) and our nature and conservation orgs (e.g. Audubon, Sierra
Club, NWF etc) for implementing bird-safe siting of industrial wind projects
in this region of the US (texas).

These are our birds that are and will be killed by this project for decades
to come -- perhaps a lawsuit against the state of texas is in order.

Bill Evans