Good call on this one Michael and Andy. I completely agree, having now reviewed
the samples provided at Steve Kelling's flight call website and some other
resources (thanks for pointing that out again!). I've only heard Virginia Rail
overhead at night producing their "kid-dick" calls. I had noticed that the
frequency was high, but it seemed within the realm of possibility for the
similar Red-headed Woodpecker NFC, but, I'll have to go with Virginia Rail on
this one, too.

Upon comparing the two in Raven, it seems that RHWO does indeed have more
harmonics, is lower in frequency, and the RHWO call has connected modulation,
giving it a thicker "churrr"-like quality, while Virginia Rail "kicker" call
seems to have very few harmonics (none, except perhaps at the onset?), is
slightly higher in frequency, and has disconnected modulation, giving it a
dryer "reedy"-like quality.

Thanks for posting the sound, Rob. This was a good learning experience for me.
I hope to record more this springtime (Etna, NY), so perhaps will encounter my
own Virginia Rail call in the coming days/weeks.

Good night listening!

Sincerely,
Chris T-H