Woke at 430 am and could not fall back asleep.
So instead of counting sheep, I decided to sit on my
deck and count migrating birds or at least try.
I began 450 am and ended at 520 am so it was

a solid half hour...then back to sleep!

There was a decent flight going on as I could hear
many calls up there that were unidentifiable.
I did have some lower flyers that I was easily
able to ID.

Numbers aren't high but again there were many more birds
higher up that I could barely hear.

15 VEERY, 9 WOOD THRUSH, 3 INDIGO BUNTINGS,
2 BOBOLINKS, 2 YELLOW WARBLERS and
the best bird for me was a SCARLET TANAGER
that was flying very low and half singing his
song. It was a "whisper" song with a few chip-burrs.
The bird was not flying as fast as he persisted for
20-30 seconds while calling.

I also heard my resident SCREECH OWL that
I have not heard in a long time. I also had an AMERICAN
GOLDFINCH call once but this guy probably was a
local bird since I regularly have 20-30 at my feeder
each day.

Dave Nicosia
Johnson City, NY

ARCHIVES: