The best you may have currently about improvements in 5.x.x are the release
notes
<https://github.com/nhibernate/nhibernate-core/blob/5.3.4/releasenotes.txt>.
Yes unfortunately mapping by code is undocumented in the reference
documentation <https://nhibernate.info/doc/index.html>.

Documentation contributors would be very welcome for fixing this. Here are
some discussion on the subject: #2371
<https://github.com/nhibernate/nhibernate-core/discussions/2371>, #2433
<https://github.com/nhibernate/nhibernate-core/pull/2433>.