Greetings all,

Some of you may be aware of WordNet::Similarity's younger and more
brawny cousin, UMLS::Similarity. This uses the Unified Medical
Language System of the National Library of Medicine (NIH) to compute
measures of similarity and relatedness between concepts found in
ontologies and terminologies used in the medical domain (like MeSH,
SNOMED-CT, etc.) I say it is brawnier as the UMLS offers about 2
million different concepts spread out over at least 100 different
sources, so the volume of data is quite a bit more than WordNet. And
it is focused on the medical domain, although it does include some
concepts that cross over into general English.

You can find more information about the UMLS::Similarity package here :

UMLS-Interface and UMLS-Similarity : Open Source Software for
Measuring Paths and Semantic Similarity (McInnes, Pedersen, and
Pakhomov) - Appears in the Proceedings of the Annual Symposium of the
American Medical Informatics Association, Nov 14-18, 2009, pp.
431-435, San Francisco, CA
http://www.d.umn.edu/~tpederse/Pubs/amia09.pdf

We now have a web interface running for UMLS::Similarity that is very
similar (no pun intended?) to the WordNet::Similarity web interface
that we've supported for quite a few years now. And of course you can
always install UMLS::Similarity locally, assuming that you have
already installed the UMLS.

The web interface is running version 2011AA (the most current version
of the UMLS), and supports a few popular sources. You can access the
web interface at the site below in order to experiment just a bit
before considering the installation of the entire package.

http://atlas.ahc.umn.edu/cgi-bin/umls_similarity.cgi

We also have a script called query-umls-similarity-webinterface.pl
which automatically queries the web interface. This can be thought of
as a network based version of the similarity.pl utility that you may
use with WordNet::Similarity. The nice thing about this is you can
automate quite a few queries and just let them run on our server,
without having to install UMLS or even UMLS::Similarity on your own
system.

Below is a small cheat sheet that Bridget McInnes has put together on
how to get started using this program, which you can find at :

http://search.cpan.org/dist/UMLS-Similarity/utils/query-umls-similarity-webinterface.pl

Note that you can locate the entire UMLS::Similarity package at the
site below, although to run the automatic queries you only need the
above program:

http://search.cpan.org/dist/UMLS-Similarity

===============

BASIC EXAMPLE

The simplest case is:

query-umls-similarity-webinterface.pl hand skull

which returns the similarity between 'hand' 'skull' using the
path measure where the path information is obtained from the
PAR/CHD relations in MSH.

MODIFY THE DEFAULT MEASURE

There are a number of additional similarity or relatedness measures
that you can use: Leacock & Chodorow (lch), Wu & Palmer (wup), Lin
(lin) Resnik (res), Jiang & Conrath (jcn), Lesk (lesk) and the Vector
Measure (vector).

To change the measure, use the --measure option. For example:

query-umls-similarity-webinterface.pl --measure lesk hand skull

MODIFY THE DEFAULT SOURCE/RELATIONS

There are also a number of additional SOURCE/RELATION options that
you can use.

For the similarity measures, you can use:

Source Relations
-----------------------
SNOMEDCT PAR/CHD
SNOMEDCT RB/RN
MSH PAR/CHD
MSH RB/RN
FMA PAR/CHD
FMA RB/RN
OMIM PAR/CHD
OMIM RB/RN

This means that the path information will be obtained from the specified
source following the specified relations.

For the relatedness measures, things are a little different because the
relations refer to what relations the extended definition is derived
from. In the interface, you can use:

Source Relations
-----------------------
SNOMEDCT CUI/PAR/CHD/RB/RN
SNOMEDCT CUI
MSH CUI/PAR/CHD/RB/RN
MSH CUI
UMLS_ALL CUI/PAR/CHD/RB/RN
UMLS_ALL CUI

To change the source and relations, use the --sab and --rel options. For
example:

query-umls-similarity-webinterface.pl --sab SNOMEDCT --rel PAR/CHD hand skull

that you might want to join, particularly if you have questions about
the package or the web interface.