tl;dr: old man grouses at clouds

On Sun, Dec 31, 2023 at 11:57 AM Ken Hornstein <k...@pobox.com> wrote:

> [...] Sendmail,
> yes, it looks like you could change it if you really want to; it also
> defaults to something based on the local hostname.  I am personally
> skeptical that people actually configure this.

FWIW, MIT's campus computer network (Athena) did this for a long time,
because that network was composed of thousands of workstations that did not
normally receive mail and all wanted to send mail that came from, for
example, <yand...@mit.edu> rather than something like <
yand...@w20-575-77.mit.edu>. I imagine that they stopped doing this when
MIT moved to centralized (Office 365-based, gack) mail infrastructure
rather than running their own (with the attendant large reductions in
overhead, functionality, stability, etc.) That said, this is probably the
exception that proves the rule, as keeping the sendmail.cf changes up to
date was a constant sink for work even before the advent of
dkim/dmarc/spf/eieio.

<shakes fist>
~Chad