Från: owner-nmus...@globomaxnm.com <owner-nmus...@globomaxnm.com> för Chaouch
Aziz <aziz.chao...@chuv.ch>
Skickat: den 12 februari 2015 12:01:51
Till: Eleveld, DJ; pascal.gir...@merckgroup.com
Kopia: nmusers@globomaxnm.com
Ämne: [NMusers] RE: Standard errors of estimates for strictly positive
parameters

Dear Douglas, dear Pascal,

Thanks a lot for your answers. I guess the main point here is constrained vs
unconstrained optimization as the asymptotic covariance matrix of estimates (as
returned by $COV) is "well defined" only in the latter case. When fitting model
1, one would normally constrain THETA(1) to be positive by using something like:

$THETA
(0, 15, 50) ; TVCL

In this situation I wonder whether it makes sense at all to consider the output
of $COV. It seems model 2 would be here preferable (unconstrained
optimization). If model 1 is fitted without boundary constraints on THETA(1),
the covariance matrix of estimates may have "some" meaning but the optimization
in NONMEM is then likely to crash if it encounters a negative value at some
point, which again speaks somehow in favor of model 2 (unless one is not
interested in the output of $COV).

Now what about $OMEGA? Here NONMEM knows that these are variances and therefore
we do not need to explicitly (i.e. manually) place boundary constraints on the
diagonal elements of the omega matrix. However something must account for it
internally. The covariance matrix of estimates returned by $COV also contains
elements that refer to omega so I'm unsure how these are treated. For diagonal
elements of the omega matrix, does NONMEM optimize log(omega) or omega? Or does
it uses a Cholesky decomposition of the Omega matrix and optimize elements on
that scale? Again, unless the optimization on omega is unconstrained, can we
really trust the output of $COV? Basically the question here is how would you
construct an asymptotic 95% confidence interval for a diagonal element of Omega
(i.e. a variance) based on the information from the covariance matrix of
estimates?

The covariance matrix of estimate is of importance to me because I'm
considering published studies and I do not have access to the data so I cannot
refit the model with an alternative parametrization. Results from $COV (in lst
file when available from the authors) is then the only available piece of
information about the uncertainty of the estimation process.

Kind regards,

Aziz Chaouch